Increase Carbs

(Karl Samtula) #1

I:m aiming for net carbs of 19g, but finding that tricky. What high net carb, low calorie foods would you suggest?

(bulkbiker) #2

I would suggest neither high carb nor low calorie foods… why would you want to if following a ketogenic way of eating?

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #3

You don’t have to hit 19 carbs just stay UNDER 20 carbs.

(Running from stupidity) #4

(Robert C) #5

What are your carb sources (other than leafy green vegetables)?

(Todd Batitis) #6

I would question you on this… What is it that you are eating that you are having a hard time. And I think your wording is a little strange.

What you want is not HIGH net carbs, but low net carbs. For instance, broccoli raab is good from a net carb vegetable standpoint. For 100g you get 2.87g of carbs but 2.7g is fiber so net fiber is .17g. You would have to (or could choose to) eat well over a pound to get to 1g of net carbs.

Also, the point of all this isn’t simply to be low calorie. It is simply about switching your body from being a glucose burner to a fat burner and having your body run on ketones it makes as a by-product of breaking down fat rather than the sugar from carbs… eating fat, which has the highest caloric content of all of the macros lets you do that. My basal metabolic rate is currently just under 2000 calories (1968 IIRC) yet I am eating between 1800-2800 calories a day (typically between 2000-2400) and am still losing weight steadily because of WHAT I am eating and when (I also do 20:4 intermittent fasting daily).

As @Iced pointed out, it isn’t a target you are trying to get UP too, but rather one you simply want to stay UNDER. While different people can get into ketosis fine with higher carb levels, 20g is the level that will pretty much get everyone into ketosis. Ideally, if you can get under that you are doing fine. There are some days where I may eat 2000-2200 calories but still end up with just over 10g of net carbs.

So as I started with, what is it that you are eating? If you log your food on My Fitness Pal, make your food diary public and we can easily take a look at it. Here is an example of one of my lower days.

I came home to a London Broil that had been stewed in beef stock, onions and mushrooms and had a little bit of that.

An hour or so later I made myself one of my chicken salads with mayo, olives, broccoli, mayo, dill pickles and daikon with a serving of flax seed for the omega 3.

About an hour later I had a little bit of cheese, followed up with a little chocolate and some walnuts while watching TV with the wife. Here is what it looked like by the numbers:

(Karl Samtula) #7

Thank you

(Sky) #8

hi total newbie here - you mention that you do 20:4 daily yet you have breakfast and dinner - can you tell me what times breakfast and dinner is please - thank you in helping me understand Keto

I hope it’s okay if I do my best to answer for now. It’s obviously not a morning meal and dinner as it can’t fit into a 4 hour long eating window. I think breakfast is for “breaking fast” here, it doesn’t happen early. But it can be different, I structure my food in interesting ways in my log, it’s easier that way but I eat everything for lunch.
Keto has little to do with IF except they are often together because many of us automatically eat in a smaller eating window on keto because we get satiated better and for longer. But there are plenty ketoers with 3 or more meals and plenty high-carb OMADers (one meal a day). Satiation works differently for different people.

(Susan) #10

I do a 20:4 on my eating days -I eat Lunch at 1pm and Supper at 4:30 pm (for a 20 hour daily fast from 5pm-1pm, 4 hour eating window of 2 meals with no snacks between the two). I am also doing 3 -44 hour fasts a week atm until November 30th.