In Ketosis, Fat adpated, HR, and Training

(Spen Stelzer) #1

Hello all!

I’ve been reading through the forum for a couple week now and finally have a question that I didn’t see already answered.

After a few months of training I remained that same weight with no real change. Then around the beginning of the year I decided that Keto would be the way to go. Since Jan 9 I’ve dropped 20+ Lbs and 2" on the belt.

Once I got into Ketosis my strength and stamina dropped for about 3 weeks. Last Saturday I had a PR of 235# on the deadlift and was able to do an hour Boot Camp after my strength workout. So my guess is I’m starting to be Fat Adapted.

That’s my story and here is my question:

I have a FitBit that measures resting heart rate. Back when I started training my resting HR was 77BPM. Right before Keto it dropped to 65BPM. Then it climbed up to 73BPM. Last week it seems to level off there.

It appears that there is a coloration between being in Keto and higher HR and leveling off and being Fat Adapted.

Am I reading this correctly?

(Doug) #2

Hi Spen. It does seem to be common for the heart rate to go up a little during keto adaptation. Yet in the end I think most people end up with a lower rate than before they began ketogenice eating. Here’s a thread about it:

Lots of things can affect heart rate. Degree of hydration, blood pressure, amount of salt and other electrolytes, etc. My gut feeling is that most of us end up retaining a lot less water when keto - carbohydrates bind with water and when keto we release that water. That alone should mean a slightly lower heart rate, all other things being equal, in my opinion.

(Jack Brien) #3

I wonder if it’s because your metabolism gets a boost?

(Spen Stelzer) #4

Thanks for the link, Doug. Good to know it’s not just me!

Last week I’ve also upped my electrolytes and salt intake. Started taking Magnesium.

I’m guessing the changes in electrolytes, etc and getting Fat Adapted is the reason the HR is stabilizing and my strength is returning?

Just trying to figure out when I’m Fat Adapted and out of that dead zone between Keto and Fat Adapted.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Yeah, if you’re feeling that you have more stamina again, you are probably adapting to burning fat. But you may find that your explosive performance (clean & jerk, sprinting, etc.) never really recovers without carbs in your system. Keto is great for endurance (there are quite a few keto 100-mile runners these days winning races), but not so good for the fast-twitch muscle.

That’s as I understand it, anyway. I am firmly of the opinion that exercise is bad for you. :smile:

(Spen Stelzer) #6

It seems like fast twitch muscle performance is coming back and getting some good results with overall muscle strength.