Impulse Control and Keto

(Meeping up the Science!) #41

Yup - I never use dinner sized plants. I almost always use salad plates at largest. It’s astounding how full I get from that alone.

(Kathy ) #42

I am also doing a tapping program - Eft - presenter is peta stapleton. I am on week 4 of a12week program. I am finding it is very useful tool to have

(Stephanie Hanson) #43

I’m doing one by Brittany Watkins that’s specific to weight loss. They get into some pretty deep (and sometimes ugly) stuff. The first week I rebelled and gained, the second week was about rebelling. She’s been doing these programs awhile. it does seem to be working. My biggest challenge is turning it into a habit. I’m just in week 2.

(Amber) #44

I’ve seen her course but it’s much out of my price range at the moment. I’ve heard a lot of good things about it though!

(Amber) #45

Regarding the EFT for weight loss has anyone heard of or know about the one that Carol Look and John Gabriel do? I’m thinking of trying that one.

When in a Pizza situation, I just eat the cheese and toppings and toss the crust. Its the best part anyway…Be sure to toss the crust in the trash so thr is no temptation, as I’m sure u wont go digging for it lol

(Amber) #47

Thanks! I’m going to try that tonight. I’ve had a cuuple tough nights with over eating pecans (stupid nuts!) but I think doing the toppings thing will be a good option. Plus I’ll be getting to the meeting late so maybe it won’t even be an issue :slight_smile: A girl can hope!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #48

For me, one of the biggest variables with impulse control, both for eating and for other aspects of life, is sleep.

Lack of sleep tends to lead to poorer impulse control across the board. It also increases stress, which in my experience is another driver of difficulty with cravings, and impulse control (or lack thereof).

Planning ahead, as others have suggested, can also help when you know in advance that you’re going into a situation where temptation may arise. But I definitely find that if I am well-rested, I’m more likely to be able to stick with my keto eating and avoid lapsing into poor habits of the past.

Good luck!

U got this chica!!! Salad or wings are other options as well…

(Amber) #50

Thanks! I’m hoping they have those options available in the catered options. Crossing my fingers.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #51

Just to add or emphasize a few points. The article by Gary Taubes linked above is very interesting, because he explicitly draws the connection between addiction to sugar and addiction to alcohol. As he also points out, techniques developed to deal with the latter addiction work equally well with the former.

In addition to not keeping carbs in the house, there are psychological strategies I use to keep from eating that next carb.

First is the idea that, as someone already posted in this thread, complete abstinence is actually easier to manage than moderation. I once figured out that my drinking “sweet spot” was around drink three; the problem was that by the time the alcohol from drink three was beginning to affect me, I was already on drink six. In just the same way, there might be a sweet-spot glazed doughnut; but the whole dozen is already down the hatch by the time my stomach has begun to digest the sweet-spot one. (I know I’m an alcoholic and sugar addict, because “controlled” drinking/doughnut-snorting is impossible for me.) Given this dynamic, the early members of A.A. figured out that, as they put it “One is too many, and a thousand are not enough.” In my case it’s true for doughnuts, chocolate, Fritos, popcorn and any other carb you might care to name.

On the other hand, committing myself to permanent abstinence is another psychological trap. If I thought I could never have another glazed doughnut again, I’d be at the nearest Dunkin Donuts, buying out their stock. Therefore, I have not sworn off carbs for ever. Thinking of it in terms of merely postponing eating sweets or grains makes staying away from them much more manageable: “I’ll definitely have those Krispy Kremes tomorrow; right now, I’ll just eat some bacon.” And by the time tomorrow comes, the craving has passed (especially since bacon is better!).

Sometimes the craving is so strong that the interval of postponement has to be shortened; for me in early sobriety, it sometimes came down to postponing the next drink for just the next five minutes, and then another five minutes, and so on. Perhaps because I’ve already been through the process of learning to deal with cravings for one substance, my carb cravings—so far—haven’t reached the five-minute level. Yet that’s not to say they couldn’t, and someone who’s never dealt with an addiction before might well find it very difficult.

Having someone you can call when the urge strikes is also very helpful. In Twelve-Step programs, newcomers are encouraged to get a “sponsor,” someone who makes a commitment to helping you over the rough spots. Recovering addicts who value their sobriety make themselves available to sponsor people, because helping someone else is the best way to help yourself. The early members of A.A. quickly figured out that telling their story to another drunk might or might not help the other drunk get sober, but it would certainly help them stay sober. An equivalent dynamic makes these forums work, too.

Enough of a sermon. You get the idea.

(Michael Haisten) #52

Hello, my name is Michael and I am a carbaholic!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #53

Hello, Michael!

(Mother of Puppies ) #54

This was my behavior for my first six Keto months :weary::weary::weary:

(linda) #55

Having just been at a conference called Overcoming Obstacles in the Treatment of Loss of Control Eating Pathology : Applying Medical, Psychiatric and Psychological Eating Disorders Treatment Best Treatment Best Practices for Quality Outcomes and Recovery OR Binge Eating Treatment and Recovery 101 by ERC/Insight Recovery Centers.

I have a few relevant comments – Trauma treatment is imperative for good outcomes - (we have to get at the WHY – food can be a compensatory behavior)

Exposure - Response Prevention Treatment elicits good results that are sustaining.

Some people have difficulty managing binge eating on KETO because Keto can be restrictive - hence binging on Keto foods - Research shows conflicting reports on food as an “addiction”

Having a good validating support system helps! Hello Keto forum!