Impulse Control and Keto

(Amber) #1

So I’m not so much a newbie but I may as well be!
I started keto last year at this time and did really well for around six months. Life happened (as I’m sure you have heard time and time again) and I fell off HARD.
I’m noticing that I am having impulse control issues with food. I’ll have the non keto food eaten (weather I have to go get it or make it) before I even realize what I’m doing.
I’m having such a hard time getting on track. I have read many tips saying “Just ignore the impulse” or “Avoid temptation.” If I did these things I would never be able to leave my house. Does anyone else struggle with this and if so how do you handle it?

(Hillary ) #2

I would eat a significant amount of fat before going anywhere so that I wouldn’t get hungry and be tempted to cheat. Also I would carry around a gallon jug of water with me to help keep cravings away. I know your struggle. Just hang in there and remember you are not alone in this.

(Aloy ) #3

4 months after starting the keto WOE I traveled abroad to see my family, 2 years since last seen them. Having my parents going through divorce and other stressful events I wasn’t focused on keeping it keto (when I needed it the most). I felt terrible the whole time I was away, physically and mentally. When I came back I worked really heard to meal prep so I would get that mental clarity again but I just couldn’t control my stress eating. I’m sharing my experience with you (and the awesome forum people) because I know its hard. I haven’t found even one podcast that talks about emotional/ stress eating while keto! looks like eating fat and feeling satiated is the default mode for most of the folks out there…
When people say “just ignore the impulse” I’m getting really frustrated because It does not work for me. The opposite happens… I feel like something is wrong with me. Anyways, there is no right answer or one solution I found, but taking it one day at a time until I can find the root of the habit I want to get rid off.
what I found that is occasionally helpful is

1. In the morning I slow myself down, taking 10 minutes and meditate. I try to think about the moments I fall and be one step ahead like packing snacks or choosing a restaurant or even preparing myself not to get ice-cream while food shopping.
  2. sounds like you have some non-keto food you make. Is it possible to clean out your fridge/ pantry? I know its hard if you live with other people but its easier for me if its at least not around my home.
  3. I try to eat more fat and up my salt. I carry a small salt container and sprinkle under my tongue couple of times a day.
    Now, I know for me its been a work in progress but I keep trying and its the best I can do aside for being kind to myself when I fall. I hope you do, too.
    you are definitely not alone in this!

I truly hope this helps.

(Barbara Greenwood) #4

I have a long history of emotional eating and binge eating. Keto has helped a lot, but not entirely banished the urge. I still do unnecessary eating some of the time, i.e. I’m not hungry/no longer hungry.

I try as much as possible to keep it keto, and when I’ve done that, I haven’t regained any weight from doing it - though it does stop me losing. On occasions when I’ve allowed carbs, especially sugar, back in - then I still have the capacity to pack on pounds quite quickly. So I do work hard to keep carby foods out of the house, or at least out of my mind.

So, my top tip is: don’t buy the carby foods in the first place. If the urge comes to eat for the wrong reasons, keep it keto and you will limit the damage. Also, exercise portion control - for instance, I will put some almonds in a bowl and eat those, rather than bring the packet to where I’m sitting. It doesn’t always work (you can go back and refill), but I think on average it does reduce the problem.

And don’t give up. Real change is possible :slight_smile:

(Jane Reed) #5

There are all sorts of tricks but none of them really work, IMO.

My own problems with lack of control stemmed simply from being addicted to carbs. Once I had gone through the process of weaning myself from them, it became easier to say no to carbs and overeating. Please note that there is still a part of me that wants to stuff ice cream in my mouth till it makes me sick. But the longer I am on keto, the more that feeling recedes.

To me, there is only one way that works and that is to practice self control. If you are standing in front of a friend or co-worker and you feel a sudden need to scratch your nether regions, I’ll bet anything you resist until you can get off by yourself. That self control exists in all of us and the best way to get more of it is to practice it.

You have my complete sympathy if this is harder for you than for most. The struggle is worth it. KCKO.

(Ren) #6

One thing I have learned in all facets of life. If you don’t have a plan, you will go to your typical “default” decision. Life will always happen, you can’t avoid it, so the best thing to do is have a plan for when life happens.

When life was happening and stress added up, your default was to go out and get or make the none keto food. Well what actions can you take to help make the decision to remain keto easier? Meal prep on a weekend so that there is always food that is easy to grab and go, versus being tempted by non keto food when eating out? Prep quick grab snacks such as cubed cheese, portioned out almonds/macademias, sliced cured/deli meats available on hand? If you default to having sweeter foods, keep fatbombs or other keto friendly desserts in the freezer/fridge so you can just grab some?

When you have keto options on hand and ready to go, it becomes easier to default to that versus making something new or going out and getting the food.

Before life gets stressful, find items which help you relieve stress. Maybe working out, gardening, going on a bike ride, yoga, stamping, puzzles some sort of activity that takes you out of your normal comfort zone and forces you to focus on that task really help clear the mind. Once stress starts building up make sure you take a minimum 15 minutes to do your stress relieving activity.

You got this. You know what triggers you to fall off the wagon. Have a plan so when that trigger happens, you don’t default to the old habits.

(Amber) #7

Thank you all for your suggestions and kind words. It makes me feel a little less broken. I am feeling much less broken knowing I’m definitely not the only one with this trouble.
I’m happy to report I’m 3 days in and have done well so far. I am truly worried for the weekend though. Baby steps!

(Meeping up the Science!) #8

Regarding impulse control, medication can help, and keto can help. However, which is more effective depends on the source. The question I ask whenever I work with anyone who has an impulse control issue, is where does it come from? Why is it present? I have one myself, and it’s a result of having an eating disorder.

Ignoring the impulse does no good. If we take away the eating, we must add something else. The question you should ask, is what does eating do for you? What moments do you feel like eating? Why are you tempted?

For many of us, fasting and keto do not remove impulses, because they are behavioral and psychological, rather than physiological. I guess the answer to your question lies in determining which it is.

You aren’t broken. Many of us struggle, and it is not uncommon. If I absolutely was able to conquer it, the hope there is that anyone can, because I had a very severe case of impulsive and compulsive eating. You absolutely can get through this :slight_smile:

Lots of great advice already. I struggle too, always have. I can have periods where I have no problem at all staying on track, not grazing all the time and doing all the right things. Then I have other times! There is nothing wrong with you. You are not a failure. You are not less than others who seem to find it so easy. For one thing, they probably don’t and for another, your stuff is the important stuff.

There are some things you can do to help and you probably do them already

• keep the house clear of carbs so you at least do have to go out and get them. Also though keep in stock the things that will hit the spot that are keto.
  • be as mindful as you can when these urges strike. Even if you give into them, just roll with it but be aware. Start a journal and write it all down - what was happening when you got the cravings, what preceded it, what are you craving exactly, how badly have you got to get that fix, how do you feel as you are getting it and afterwards? By practising being aware, you might start seeing patterns and start getting to the root of the problem. Don’t feel badly for anything you do, just be aware of it for now.
  • once you get an idea of when and where the urges strike, you might be able to work out some strategies that you can put in place to help.

Keto has really helped me keep within the weight range I want to be but it hasn’t fixed my behavioural problems. It enables me to avoid the weight gain consequences of the past and that is great but…

The other big thing in my life - counselling. Real, deep, difficult counselling! I cannot recommend this enough. It can be hard finding the right counsellor but, when you do, you can really start working on finding the root causes and healing them. I am not saying I will ever be perfect but I am better than I was and I feel optimistic for the future. These things that lurk deep within have far reaching behavioural impact and the habits that you have are most likely decades old right? Not easy to change. But possible to change.

Keep talking about it and asking for help. Good luck. xxx

(Amber) #10

Thanks for this! I have just sought out counseling because I know it is something I definitely need. I have impulse issues in other areas as well so I am thinking that I need to look into what’s really going on.
I’m definitely going to try the journaling thing for when I end up eating poorly. I’ve tried tracking through My Fitness Pal and have had not so good luck with that I find I forget to do it. Not that I’m avoiding it, just get busy and forget.

Great thread. I’m right there with y’all. I need to keep my house clear of anything that might jump out of the cupboards and into my mouth. If it is present, I will eat it. I do better if I’m out or at someone else’s home, probably due to distraction. At home, even keto-accaptable foods attack me, especially nuts, nut butters, chocolate, and cheese. And Quest bars… damn those things! I do know that it’s getting easier. Starting is the hardest, then battling all the loopholes. I’m in the loophole-battling phase but I’m hoping the July Zornfast will help me win that war. KCKO.

(Ben) #12

This article by Gary Taubes might resonate:

(Barbara Greenwood) #13

I first became overweight at the age of 8. From then until I was 30, I thought the problem was my weight, and the reason it was a problem was a) it made me unattractive and ‘different’ b) some practical issues such as thighs rubbing, difficulty finding clothes, not fitting in chairs. It hadn’t yet made a major difference to my health, although that was to come.

Then I had an epiphany of realising my weight was a consequence, not the core problem, which was the way I ate. I used food for comfort, celebration, boredom, pleasure… just about everything, really. That was when I started to address my eating behaviour rather than my weight per se, although losing weight was always a desirable thing. I worked on the basis that if I fixed my eating, my weight would come into line.

More than 20 years on, with a side order of diabetes and other weight-related problems, I have added the understanding that sugar addiction is a real thing, which adds to my binge tendencies. Binning sugar doesn’t completely eradicate emotional eating, but it makes it less of an issue.

Weight wise - when I had that epiphany I had regained most of the previous year’s 4 stone weight loss and was around 19 stone. A few years later when my diabetes was diagnosed I was 21 stone. My peak weight, around the time my Dad died in 2008, was 22 stone.

I’m currently 16 stone - down 4 stone in a year of keto - and with keto and fasting in my armoury, am much better placed to deal with emotional eating. I have lost a lot of weight a lot of times, and do next expect or particularly feel I need to be a “normal” weight. At 53, a fantastic figure is unlikely. But I can be healthier and more at ease with myself. That’s my goal.

(Amber) #14

Emotional eating is a big one for me too. Even my roommate asks me sometimes if I am eating my feelings which gets me to take a step back. I am definitely a sugar addict and need to fix that first. But I am also a person who, when feeling deprived or restricted lashes out and goes back to the thing I feel deprived of. I’m working on it but boy is it hard, on me and everyone around me!

I started Keto in Earnest this past March 2017 after my doctor’s appointment in February where once again I was told I was pre T2D, overweight, high BP, low calcium, etc.

I fell off the wagon a couple times and know I am a carb-aholic. Movie popcorn with my son sent me off the rails two times. Once I got right back on the horse, the first time I blew it out the whole weekend. I definitely suffered the consequences afterward. I think that helped a bit.

I used to buy a 6 pack of Krispee Kreme donuts and eat them in the car on my way home and hide it from my family. It got to a point where they didn’t even taste good. Then came the guilt. Not a good way to live.

I noticed that over time my carb cravings are going down but it has been a slow process. I also notice it’s easy for me to eat too many nuts and that sets me up for going out of Ketosis and craving carbs.

When I eat carbs I crave carbs.

Last time I went to the movies with my son (who always wants popcorn), I took cooked bacon in a ziplock bag with me. Mmmm… bacon. That really helped. Fat and salt seem to really help when the carb cravings kick in.

(Amber) #16

Thanks for sharing this. It’s really eye opening how truly addictive sugar is. I am working through that as well.

(Amber) #17

I’m planning on cooking up a bunch of bacon this weekend and trying that when I need something. Popcorn is my undoing most times too. I have to keep nuts out of the house unless they are for a specific recipe because I will eat a whole pound of pecans in a sitting and then not realize I did it.
I’ve also done the hiding my eating too. Stopping for McDonalds before I get home and then eating dinner too so nobody knew. Ugh I am such a work in progress.

We are all works in progress. Imagine how boring life would be if we weren’t!

(Danelle Derks Scott Nelson) #19

YES! I have found that I needed to up my protein intake. I kept reducing it thinking I was sensitive and that it was spiking my insulin. As soon as I upped my protein, I was NEVER hungry. Once in while I will get a craving for something sweet, but it isn’t nearly as strong. I am 6’ tall and try to get 140 grams of protein a day. Try it. It might work for you. I really was happy about it because I noticed that I wasn’t as obssessed about food too. Helps me to avoid the little slips for sure! Also, plan ahead. Set one day a week to meal plan for the week. If you can, make ahead. If not, write down your menu and any notes for prepping that you can do the night before. For resisting I found that my body just wanted something and wouldn’t take no for an answer. With more protein it isn’t like that anymore. I don’t love protein, but it’s better than being fat and unhappy…

(Amber) #20

I think I need to revisit the protein thing. I need to test my glucose when I’ve eaten it and see what it does. I keep freaking out that it will spike my glucose and so I keep trying less protein and I get super hungry. I am ALWAYS over on my protein when I try to track macros too.