Impulse Control and Keto

(Danelle Derks Scott Nelson) #21

Yeah I mean just try it if it spikes your glucose it might be a longer process to lose weight but at least you won’t be miserable

(Edith) #22

I also find I cannot take one little taste of a non-keto food, because one French fry will turn into two, one piece of popcorn will turn into the whole bowl. It is best not to even let one taste pass your lips.

Like someone mentioned before, we are all works in progress.

Edith

(Hillary ) #23

I don’t understand how people find it so easy to stop eating when full. I eat as long as there’s food on my plate. That’s my biggest down fall.

(Meeping up the Science!) #24

Ketosis is tremendous for brain stabilization, and it can absolutely help with impulsive and compulsive behavior, however if the behavior component is ingrained, it eventually must be retrained. Many of us do this naturally as we stabilize, but there are techniques and assistance if it does not work entirely from diet. @Aloy had a ton of great advice, as did @Aawa and loads of others!

A part of having compulsive and impulsive tendencies is planning the hell out of it! Have plans for having no plans! Whether it is keto or keeping a schedule, it is the same skill set.

Even for people who choose to get meds for ADHD and BED, behavioral skills will always make or break us. Medication doesn’t teach us how to deal with the impulses - it just helps them go away. Practicing these skills others mentioned helps reshape the brain itself, so even if you struggle, keep practicing and moving forward!

(Meeping up the Science!) #25

I still struggle with this. I measure my food so I don’t overeat. I don’t care about my macros except in the vaguest of terms, however it is more dangerous for me, psychologically, to not control my eating. Everything I eat has to be planned for. That’s just how it is. No, everyone does not understand it, and I accept that, though it can be hard.

While I envy people without an eating disorder like I have, I also know I have learned a lot from it, and from the people I work with who have eating disorders. It is all a process, and my development as a person and my relationship with food are, thankfully, constantly evolving!

(Ren) #26

I struggled with eating if there is food on my plate, I am going to eat it all. What I have done to help control this is

1. Use smaller plates
  2. Put smaller portions on my plate

If I am still not full after eating what was on my plate. I will drink some water and then sit there for 5-10 minutes. If I am still hungry, I will a portion that is smaller than the original portion on my plate and eat that. It has helped me greatly with not over eating.

I used to also struggle with always picking at the food on the dinner table since we typically serve family style, until I was about to burst. What we have done now is we put the serving dishes on the island in our kitchen. That way we have to get up and get more versus just sitting at the dinner while talking and grazing on what is left on the table. After about a year of doing this, we can serve family style now and once I’m full, I do not pick at the food that is left on the table.

(Amber) #27

I am planning to plan this weekend. I’ve never been good at this. I have 2 things that are concerning since I have managed to stay keto for 3 days already.
I have abirthday party I’m going to tomorrow and after that another social event where snacks will be provided.
Then on Tuesday I have a mandatory company meeting that is catered by a local pizza place. Pizza is a BIGBIG trigger food for me. I’m pretty sure I can’t bring my own food to the pizza place so I am just not sure how to handle the temptation all around me.
Anyone have suggestions?

(Barbara Greenwood) #28

Only six?

I can remember skimming through The Carbohdrate Addicts’ Diet and other similar tomes in bookshops over the years, and always thinking - How ridiculous, saying you have to give up all sugar, flour potatoes etc. The answer is to eat them in moderation, not this extreme thing they’re proposing. Yeah, I’ll do that.

There’s a word for that. It’s called Denial. You know… OK, I like my beer/wine/whiskey, but I haven’t got a problem, I’m not an alcoholic. (I’m not talking about me - I’m drawing an analogy).

We never said out loud that my father was an alcoholic. He was perfectly functional - he was a GP, as it happens. He died of pneumonia picked up in hospital while being treated for a complication of his liver cirrhosis.

I wasn’t a sugar addict. I was just morbidly obese and diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 34. Yeah, right. I know better now.

(Ren) #29

Does the pizza place have sandwiches and/or salads? If they have sandwiches, you can get them without the bun to keep them more keto friendly. Salads can also be very keto friendly provided you skip the croutons and use oil and vinegar as dressing.

(Mike Glasbrener) #30

Salad is a good idea. Or, of course, pre-eat Keto before the event so you won’t be hungry and thus only need to deal with habits/psychology w/o the physical desire for food.

(Amber) #31

Yeah I think the mental stuff is going to be the hardest. I’m worried about feeling restricted (which technically I will be) and deprived of the food I love most lol. Wow, now that I type that it sounds so bad!

yes but they were the glazed that also had the chocolate frosted tops. A ton of calories and carbs. It didn’t stop there - at home, chips, candy, pasta, popcorn, crackers, ice cream, and on and on. FYI I am about 39 hours in on a Zorn fast and feeling pretty good. Never thought I could do it.

The carb cravings really have gotten a lot better. I get the whole alcohol thing too-nothing to drink for me since 10/2008. That has probably made Keto easier for me not having to work adult beverages into this lifestyle.

(James Bernards) #33

There is a book called “Live is Hard, Food is Easy” written by a Dr. and she addresses emotional eating. Might be worth investigating.

(KetoCowboy) #34

Great article from Taubes, as usual. My favorite insight is that “high insulin drives carb craving.”

As Bryndis (a keto YouTuber in Iceland) likes to say, “100% keto is easier than 99% keto.” Every little bit of carbage we let in only creates cravings for more.

(Hillary ) #35

Thank you for your advice!!!

(Hillary ) #36

Eat the topping and throw the crust away. I’ve been in that situation. Also, order you a side salad or some hot wings!

(Barbara Greenwood) #37

I suppose I’m saying that someone else might eat half what you did, or twice what you did, or ten times… it doesn’t really matter. It’s not about the quantity of food so much as the type of food and the compulsive feeling that goes with it.

BED sufferers tend to be overweight - though not all are. Some manage to limit their bingeing sufficient of the time that they don’t continue to gain weight. There are plenty of ‘normal’ weight people who have a very addictive and dysfunctional relationship with food, though they may not think so.

They still suffer in a lot of ways. But whether you’re 30lb overweight, or morbidly obese, or one of those poor people who appears on TV with a fire crew called in to remove a window so they can get you out of your house and take you to hospital - it’s the same basic problem, just in different degrees.

Everyone’s different - psychological techniques and Keto can both help, to varying degrees for everyone.

(Stephanie Hanson) #38

I’ve begun a Tapping for weight loss program. I’m a sugar addict and it’s time for me to work on why I use it as comfort rather than address what’s really up for me. I’m enjoying Tapping and I’m shedding lots of tears to honor my ability to keep myself “safe” with food in the past.

I put LOTS of fat in my morning BPC and this starts me out well.

I’m a work in progress and always will be. Hugs.

(Arlene) #39

Life is a process. Many people struggle with various forms of addictions. Food, specifically unhealthy eating habits can be very addictive for many, and very difficult to overcome. All addictive behavior requires the right mind-set to overcome the addiction. My suggestion to you is try, try, try again until you are finally in a place where you are able to overcome this struggle and stay on track. I tried for years to get my eating under control, but I never gave up on myself. Today, I feel calm about food, and I’m finally in a good place where I can relax and enjoy life while eating healthy most of the time. Keto has enabled me to get to this place. Temptations will always be around us, but practice makes perfect. Just keep working on it till you find what works for you when you need to make a better food choice.

(Amber) #40

I’d love to know more about the tapping program you are following. I’ve been interested in that for awhile.