Immersion blender purchased in quest for perfect mayo!

(Deb) #1

Since you guys got me hooked on the idea of making mayo and my attempts with a regular beater produced less than stellar results, I hit my favorite go-to, Amazon, and got a Betty Crocker Hand Blender Immersion Blender for around $15. Came with a measuring/mixing container as well. So we’ll see how the next batch comes out!

(Mike W.) #2

We make ours right in a Mason jar. Blend it up, slap the lid on and you’re good to go.

(Deb) #3

That’s on my local shopping list with the food items! And a few recipes in hand…

(Mike W.) #4

We made one with bacon fat that was amazing.

(jketoscribe) #5

It took me a few tries to get it right, and the ingredients are expensive, but don’t give up! Once you master it, it’s so easy.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #6

I don’t make mayo, but I love my I-blender. Perfect way for mixing brines, hollandaise (which is basically mayo remixed when you think about it), marinades, and pretty much anything wet that I want homogenous.

This is what I do! I got the plastic, screw top lids right by the canning supplies. So easy. I remembered seeing it in the okd infomercials from the first immersion blenders! haha.

What oils are you using? I use extra light tasting olive oil (it’s from subsequently presses, not virgin, so its neutral in taste, not lower in fat) and its pretty reasonably priced. Oils are expensive in nature (well, anything other than veg oil…), but the light tasting olive oil is def cheaper than the walnut oil, etc. Avocado oil is cheapest at Costco!

(Mike W.) #9

Avocado oil mayo is really good.

(Deb) #10

I got the lighter olive oil too. One recipe said extra virgin is too strong.

Yes!! The first time I made it, I didn’t know this and used all EVOO. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(Randy) #12

The best flavor for me through experimenting has been with Light olive oil, plenty of salt and pepper, and a pinch of stevia powder. I use lemon juice and spicy brown mustard.

(Deb) #13

I’ve seen recipes with one whole egg, one whole egg plus one yolk, or just yolks. I’m taking the middle road for my first batch, but any majority preference here?

1 whole egg works beautifully :smile:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #15

Anyone know if your climate makes a difference? I’ve make 4 batches with only one success. It’s probably me but I’m hoping to blame the subtropical weather. Or maybe I’m hoping it’s not the weather. I can learn, but I can’t change the climate.

I shouldn’t think it would make a difference. Adding the oil too quickly can cause it to split & mixing for so long that the stick blender & mixture heats up can also cause problems. I find if I’m getting near the end I can pull the blender out & whisk in the final bit of oil with a fork. Which recipe are you using?

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #17

Olive oil, one yolk, vinegar, english mustard. I don’t have an immersion blender (yet!) so I hand whisk. I think last time my egg was too cold. Next time I plan on using bacon grease. I have plenty! I tried in my blender once and that definitely didn’t work. Maybe once I get more practice…

Thanks!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #18

Hit wrong reply button. Thanks for your advice!

If you don’t have a stick blender then a food processor works better than a regular blender - easier to control the speed. Using the whole egg is also said to make it easier to blend. I used just the yolk only once (when trying to make a small batch) & it failed dismally!

Also for me EVOO has too strong a taste, but those light oils you talk about are not cold pressed and as evil as any seed oil.
I would like to try coconut oil, anyone has tried it already?