I'm strugglin'

(Jeremy Reynolds) #1

Day four.
I’m struggling.
I am not strong.
I am a legitimate addict.

I am eager and committed but I’m mentally struggling with not eating my favorite foods. My tastebuds want sugar and pizza and hot pockets and candy and soda and corn dogs. I can’t stop thinking about it.

How did you get over that first wall of carb/sugar withdraw?

(Ken) #2

Stuff yourself with fat. Really, I’m serious. Go buy a pound of Braunschweiger and eat it. Wash it down with some olive oil. Snack on pork rinds.

You’re right in the midst of withdrawl.

(Rob) #3

I made Keto treats with erythritol etc. and they were such a shag to make and disappointing compared to the real thing that by the time I worked through them, (buns, biscuits, brownies etc.) I was no longer bothered (about 3 weeks). Also I switched to single portion/100 cal 70% chocolate for my sweet treat and soon managed to only have half a bar per serving. Nuts helped. Started with cashews but moved on to almonds (Lower carb) until I no longer needed to snack (about a month). Cheese, cold cuts were also good for snacks as were pickled cucumbers. Carlshead pizza is great but for super easy, low carb tortillas smothered in cheese and toppings make a great cracker crust personal pizza. IIRC you are on the road a lot so fast food without the bun e.g. in’n’out protein style is also good. Shame to miss out on the fries but that’s the price! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Jessica) #4

I did not restrict calories.

I preplanned all meals and included 2 snacks.

I ate SF pudding cups.

I ate spicy pistachios with diet soda.

I fell in love with fathead pizza.

You can do it. I used the crutches above and was eventually able to eliminate them.

I started with not eating between meals and skipping breakfast before I cut out all carbs just most - then cut out carbs and gorged on cheese, good nuts and salad (mostly raw veggies) with lots of Olive oil. Then moderated meals and added 3oz of meat and went OMAD. Lost all addiction. I can fast at will for days now if I want. I feel totally in control but it took 3 months. It’s a process. Just what worked for me.

(Heather Miller) #6

Agreeing with the above. Just eat, but eat only good keto fat. Have some more bacon and eggs!

(Jeremy Reynolds) #7

What’s my limit on bacon and eggs… because my meal tonight will be your answer. The limit.

(Heather Miller) #8

If you are hungry eat. It takes time to become fat adapted and for us to learn when we are hungry and when it just seems thst way. Until you figure that out I recommend you just eat good keto food whenever you feel you “need to”. I think I overdosed on cooked bacon, cheese and pickles when I started!

(Andrew) #9

All you can stuff in the pie hole. Add cheese and a little hwc to the eggs.

(Sophie) #10

You can still have pizza. This one is easy and very tasty too…

eta: You tube is eat up with Keto recipes, just search.

(Jeremy Reynolds) #11

Thank you for the encouragement. I’ll push through. I’m glad there’s a strong support system here.

(Renee Slaughter) #12

I ate fat a nd lots of it. Whenever I was hungry I ate pecans and walnuts and bacon and eggs till the carbs cravings went away. And they do go away.

(Ken) #13

I remember eating six eggs and a pound of bacon. Eat until your brain tells you it doesn’t feel like eating.

(Jeremy Reynolds) #14

5pm to 8pm is my window. I did a 48 hour fast to begin with, it was great. But I think I was just eager. Now I’ve normalized to one meal a day(24hr fast), within that window, keto of course. I think I’ve found a good balance. This first wall is usually when I give up in the past when I give up soda and etc.

But I’m gonna get through it this time. I understand so much more about the science behind ketosis and insulin resistance and all that. And I can’t give up now. The more I eat carbs the more I’ll want carbs.

I just ate like six eggs with cheese and bacon. Perfectly keto, and my carb craving has subsided.

I see your sly ways, carbs!

(Erin Macfarland ) #15

Haha! Love this.

(Mike Glasbrener) #16

Dude! 4 days. It will get better. You’ve so got this. The destination is worth the effort. From the carbs you’ve described your transition will be tougher. However, your benefits should come pretty quickly. Eat fat! I expect you will drop a bunch of inflammation, water weight. Salt will help with this. When hungry eat as others have said. Just eat high fat, low carb and zero simple carb. If you have head aches otc pain relief like Advil can help also. It will not affect keto as far as I know.

(Jennifer) #17

You might want to hold up on the IF and EF till you get fat adapted. For the first few weeks, eat all the keto things as you need to. Fight the cravings with fat and protein till your brain says uncle. You will get to a point where you don’t feel like eating. That is your turning point and the sign to add IF and EF back. Good luck!

(Jessica) #18

Absolutely this! I ate meals + snacks at first. The snacks dropped on their own and within a month I was effortlessly IFing. My suggestion is DON’T make this more difficult than it already is. Eat a ton to get past carb cravings. Once you’re doing better there, then work on macros/eating window/caloriesifthatswhatyouneedtodo.

I also agree. You don’t have to fast to Keto. I ate bacon, eggs, macadamia nuts, roast, hamburger, chicken wings and meat in general with mayo (sauce) and butter. Fasting will come naturally and is very difficult if you are not in ketosis. Your cravings may be due to trying to fast before you are fat adapted. IF/Fasting is a tool, not a requirement. Finally, the absolute worst thing to do is eat processed food/carbs because then you are back to square one. Find something else to do if the urge is overwhelming or drink some water and go to sleep! We all need more sleep!

(Lynne Hurley Perry) #20

I started down this road doing a blood sugar boot camp which started with a metabolic cleanse. I ordered the recommended metabolic food-protein. It was 9 days, if I recall. I think this helped my transition away from carbs.