I'm not new, but I am new......AGAIN

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #1

About 3 years ago, I was smack dab in the middle of my Keto journey. I lost over 70lbs before I started back into competitive Olympic weight lifting. It was at that time I started eating carbs again. I’m not going to blame anyone but myself. But now I’m starting from square one again. I know how to do it and I wouldn’t want to start this again without you guys. This forum/site was a big part of my success last time. I failed ME!

Some of you guys may remember me, some won’t. But HELLO!!! AGAIN

(Doug) #2

Good deal, Rusty. Welcome back. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Polly) #3

Welcome back Rusty. Good luck with your new beginning.

(Laurie) #4

Thank you for posting. It’s always interesting and informative to read about people’s detours. Good luck with your new beginning.

(Edith) #5

I’ve been on the forum for four years. We must have overlapped. :grinning: Welcome back.

Welcome back, Rusty.

(Bob M) #7

Welcome back. Did the carbs help with lifting?

(BuckRimfire) #8

I’m also interested in this question

Welcome back Rusty. I’m also interested in how you went with carbs while lifting. I started a very basic beginners weight training routine earlier this year, while eating a standard high-carb diet, and I was absolutely RAVENOUS the whole time. I ate every meal twice over. Curious to hear your experience!

Well done on making a fresh start.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #10

You guys are very kind. I appreciate the warm welcome back.

The carbs did help….to a point. But they did more long term harm than short term good.

I got to a level in Olympic lifting that I attained and still hold 3 Oklahoma state records for the snatch, clean and jerk and lift totals for my age and weight class at the time.

On the flip side of that….I’ve had to stop weightlifting due to some cardiac issues that I believe could have been avoided if I would have kept with my Keto lifestyle.

(Robin) #11

I personally truly appreciate when folks share their “comeback” story. It reinforces my resolve to not stray.

(Allie) #12

Hey @rustyk61 I remember you! :grinning:

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #13

I remember you too, Allie. Its good to see some of the same people still here. :sunglasses:

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #14

I’ve been going back in time through old post on this site. I found this little gem that was posted by someone that I absolutely admire.

**I’m not afraid of protein
Don’t go seeking carb alternatives
Don’t weigh myself
Don’t obsess over ketone readings
Don’t look at the sun for meal timing
I just eat protein and fat when hungry.

BUT! I insist on real food, cooked at home. And that’s why I cook.**

Wishing you the best.

Have you read up on Dr. Kevin Stock…he does professional bodybuilding on carnivore diet…so you might gain insight why with your weight lifting you don’t ‘require’ carbs in full truths but he has the info that might be of interest? You can google him up if interested :slight_smile: more power to you!!

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #16

Thank you for the info on DR. Stock. I am not lifting anymore because of some cardiac issues that I’m sure will be getting repaired with KETO

(Jane) #17

Welcome back!

oh I am sorry to hear that on cardiac issues.

yes now is the time for a healthy keto menu to help yourself heal and change for sure!!

(Bob M) #19

Very impressive! When I was younger, I was a pseudo-body builder, meaning that I tried as much as I could with being in the military and then getting out and going to engineering school. It takes a huge amount of dedication for that, and I assume for any lifting.

I think the theory about carbs + lifting may be a good one, but if you’re not trying to set records or get Huuuuge, it may be overkill for most (nearly all?) of us.

It’s good to see you’re back, and I like the quote above. It’s a good one.

HELLO!!! AGAIN Rusty! :slight_smile:

I’ve returned to these forums again very recently myself, after a long wander off. It’s been good to see some old faces still here and generously sharing their advice and support.