Im new to ketogenic

(Ray) #1

Hello every one here

Im glad to writing here…

Im big fan of fasting and running, i been years of eating carbs and running and i really would like try to fat adapted idea…

Im 165 lbs my tall is 6 feet

Im short distance runner i run 2 mile in 18 min lol i know its too bad

The thing bother me in carb that my weight jump up in carb loading… I would like to try depand on fat …

Will fat before training and race give me high energy?

One said if u go ketogenic and fast u can get 2 mile in 12 min or less is it possible?

Thanks

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

First of all, have you started Keto yet, or just looking into it?

As someone new to Keto myself (6 weeks in), I can tell you about the beginning process and how it effects running.

There is an adaption phase you must go through. Even if you are in ketosis, the fat adaption phase can take 6-8 weeks. During that time, your performance WILL suffer. Though it tends to be less so for men than women. Still, I went from running 4miles 3-4 times a week pre Keto at a little over 10 min mile pace to BARELY being able to do a fast paced walk at 18 min mile pace for no more than 2 miles. It was awful. And I had stupidly signed up for a RunBet contest at the same time I started Keto, plus a 5k race I signed up for. Eventually (about 3.5 weeks in) I started to feel better, but it took some time to build back up my distance. Yesterday was my first 4 mile run since starting Keto. And honestly I’m not concerned about my pace anymore. I actually posted a thread yesterday about using 80/20 approach to training in which you slow way down 80% of the time and go all out 20%.

Anyway, I felt great running yesterday. I probably could have gone another half hour running easy but I didn’t have time.

I only have a small amount to lose. What drew me to Keto was the promise of extra endurance running as I want to try my first full marathon.

I do think Keto can help shave time off runs, but not in and of itself. More as a tool. It goes back to the 80/20 approach to running. Keto gives you more endurance. More endurance allows you to run further and practice longer. Longer runs = more miles logged. More miles logged = a stronger, more experienced runner. Stronger experienced runners = better times.

But don’t try to set pace records on those runs. Only 20% should be at high intensity. The other 80% is all for building longevity and should be slow, easy pace. Stay away from moderate intensity altogether. It doesn’t help you improve your pace (as high intensity will) or your endurance (as low intensity does).

(Ray) #3

Hello annie, im on keto as well fasting, thank u very much for ur great infos, wish u all best

(Doug) #4

Hi Ray. How old are you?

I used to run 800 meters up to 3000 meters/two mile races. These are races where they are long enough that the body’s ability to use oxygen is very important, yet it is still fairly intense exercise. Stored glycogen in the body is an important fuel, here. On a ketogenic diet the body will have less stored glycogen, but I am not sure how much.

LeeAnn, above, is correct - training is very important, and the “long slow distance” where you are building your capacity to use oxygen and improving your cardiovascular system should be your main focus.

2 miles in 12 minutes - I think most of this would be done by a lot of training, whether you are eating carbohydrates or not. My guess is that a ketogenic diet, with the same level of training, is not going to make it easier, unless the body has enough stored glycogen (and that’s a thing I am not sure about).

Even if one is very well adapted to burning fat, it is still a slow process to make energy that way, and 6 minutes per mile is a fast pace, quite intensive exercise compared to how fast most of us can make energy from fat-burning. Again, my opinion, and if your proceed I will be very interested to see how you do.

Age group records for 3000 meters, converted to a time for 2 miles:

Men, 80 years: 13:12.
75 years: 12:04
70 years: 11:32
40 years: 8:20 :smile:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #5

I totally read that as a 12 min mile pace. I have no idea why I did.

Yeah, that’s petty intense. My best race pace for a 5k was 7:20 average mile. Not too shabby for a 40 something female, but I about killed myself getting that. There was a high school track team running that race and for some unknown reason, I tried to keep pace with them for the first mile and a half before I realized IM NOT 17 ANYMORE!:rofl:. My last half mile was run gripping my side from the worst running cramps ever.

(Alec) #6

LeeAnn
I can so relate to that! My main race distance is 5k, and it is short enough to go hard and fast. But alas it is also long enough to feel the pain badly at the end of going too hard at the start. Pacing is everything.

My PB is currently 25.28, and I am training to go sub25 in the next 2-3 months. Then onto sub-24, which might then get close to your PB. You did well!
Cheers
A

(Ray) #7

hello, im good thank u and u? Thank u very much for ur great info’s… Then might be carb loading be great for these

(Doug) #8

I think it’s mainly one’s training that determines how well one does, here. The distances are short enough that carb loading won’t make a difference - my opinion. Normal glycogen stores should be plenty for so few minutes. A half marathon or marathon, though…