I'm new and I think I'm DIRTY!

(Allie) #11

Bet you couldn’t eat a whole one though, at least not in one go :joy:

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #12

I’m not sure there is such a term. However, the other relatively common German-style sausage that you’ll find here is the Frankfurter. Whenever I’ve looked at the labels on these, they are usually pretty low in carbs. I found that my local Waitrose own-brand Frankfurters were the lowest in carbs of all the ones on offer.

“Banger” in the UK is just any kind of sausage, and comes from the days when people would fry them (probably in lard) in the pan, and they would very often burst with a “bang”. A lot of people will grill them nowadays (as they are terrified of fat), but of course I still fry mine (in CNO, not lard, not that I have anything against genuine lard). I don’t fry Frankfurters or Bratwurst: just warm them in a pan of water, or if I’m lazy, put them in a Pyrex jug, and pour boiling water on them and leave them for a bit. You can eat them cold if you want, but they are better hot or warm.

(My Dad was a butcher, and sausage-making was his speciality. He would usually refer to them as “bangers”).

(Sophie) #13

We have brats about once a week. They’re really good!

(Doug) #14

An unruly child?

(joievawter) #15

I get into food jags. This summer brats have been my go to, I love them. I can’t get enough of them. Eventually, I will have my fill and I probably won’t eat one for many months as I will be on a new food jag.
Before that, it was summer sausage & cheese. Before that, it was frittata.
Before that, bacon & whipped cream!
It all balances out eventually. I just keep the carbs, low, low, low. :slight_smile:

(Doug) #16

@joievawter Ha! That speaks to me - I often eat things one at a time on my plate, rather than alternating back and forth. I can see laying in a goodly store of bratwursts and going though them. Balance? Hey, let’s ‘moderate’ that balance and go hog wild on things once in a while.

Summer sausage and cheese - surely one of the diving combinations.

(Allie) #17

Yes an unruly child :grin:

(joievawter) #18

Definitely!

(Christopher Williams) #19

That’s great Jo, but are these grease packed fat pills that taste amazing and only slap 1 carb on me ok? Maybe I’m still in the shock of it all… I do love my BPC too!

(Jennifer) #20

I try to cook in bulk so it lasts for many meals - and then I don’t have to worry about cooking as often. Especially when I’m fasting - food in the fridge for the fam is a good thing. This week I made a ranch/bacon/spinach meatloaf and it was awesome. Ate it every day for lunch, lol…

Sonds like you are off to a good start - welcome!!

(Christopher Williams) #21

Mother of God. What is the recipe for a bacon/ranch meatloaf!?!

(Jennifer) #22

I was afraid you were going to ask that… I don’t follow recipes when I make meatloaf. But I can tell you what went in it and approximates.

I made a lot, probably 6-7 pounds. This was for 2 full sized loafs plus 6 fat patties I froze for later.

I added 2-3 tablespoons of powdered ranch dressing mix, 2-3 tablespoons of parmesan, garlic powder, salt pepper, 2-3 tablespoons of dried onions (I was out of fresh), a large handful of bacon crumbles and a bag of frozen spinach (steam, let cool and squeeze out the water).

After it’s all mixed, here is the trick. Take a spoonful of the mix and fry it in a pan to taste - this ensures you have enough seasoning and you like the flavors before cooking the loafs. Mine needed just a touch more salt, so it was perfect. And no sauce needed - it was really good.

(Christopher Williams) #23

Well… I gave it my best hand, we will see how it turns out tomorrow

(jay) #24

If you think a “brat” makes you feel dirty wait until you try one of Brenda’s keto “pancake/waffles”. The things are freaking great. They are made from crushed pork rinds! The women is a genus.

I would suggest if you ever make them don’t eat a whole one. If you do you won’t want to eat for a day or two. I made the mistake of eating a whole one (yes just one pancake) and I’m still full from the other day. The thing is, once you are properly keto adapted you will find yourself unable to consume energy dense fatty foods in quanties anywhere near your eating habits of their carb based analogs.

(Linda Culbreth) #25

Link to those waffles, please? or at least how to make them…

(joievawter) #26

:wink:

(Jessika Nilsson) #27

I think it can differ from person to person how many of those pancakes a person can eat :wink:
Especially as I ate the whole batch and was very satisfied but then could eat again at dinner :blush:

But also note that I used Cracklins instead of pork rinds, and those have a higher fat content and lower protein… And I seem to be able to consume ‘endless’ amounts of fat, just because I find it so delicious :yum:

(Jessika Nilsson) #28

the link, and remember pork rinds and cracklins are different :wink:

(Linda Culbreth) #29

Jessika, thanks for the link! These might just be lunch today!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #31

:zornface: