I'm carnivore, hold the spice

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1

I heard other carnivores say it on You Tube but I never thought it would happen to me…

I don’t like spices any more.

None, nada. It’s not just that I don’t crave them, I actually get a tad sickened by them now, like they’re some sort of non-food foreign substance my body hisses at and runs away from like a cat from a squirt bottle.

I keep reading about people in here getting bored on carnivore and wanting to add “flavor.” This blows my mind because the taste of beef has become amazingly complex and I’m starting to crave it more and more rare. I’m worried the cows on my walking route are going to start stampeding.

Now, what do I do with this cupboard full of freakin’ pricey little jars? Did anyone else get rid of their spice rack on their way to raw?

I love spicy food. I hate blandness. So even tho I appreciate the taste of beef, especially since I’ve started cooking my steaks blue rare, I cannot and will not give up my chili powder, paprika, berbere, curry, etc.

(Doug) #3

Bacon stands on its own quite well, sure enough.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

No spices :frowning::cry:

I (and some) like it HOT :hot_face: !

(Elizabeth ) #5

I gave my adult children most of them when I moved back in November, and now I’m like you at 13 months carnivore, I have five different kinds of salt and that’s all I use.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #6

The salt assortment intrigues me, I will follow your lead and invest in some tasty options. Thanks.

I’m sure a fellow local ketoer (or anyone for that matter) will take them off your hands.

(Lauren) #8

I’ll give up my chilli powder, paprika, and cumin when they pry them from my cold, dead hands.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

@Aqua_chonk and @Elizedge

Make your own dill pickle or olive salt. Evaporate the brine left in the jar in a low oven. Or maybe you don’t have those because carnivore. :man_cook:t3:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #10

I’m a lonely carnivore in a sea of militant Portland, Oregon, vegans. Just visiting Trader Joe’s is a monthy minefield of whiny diet conversations between staff and clients that I must weave my way around like I’m on Dancing With the Stars.

I’ve already pawned off about a dozen jars on a friendly neighbor. If I foist any more on her, she’ll think I’m trying to poison her family. Freecycle, maybe.

But the salt thing has me dreaming of the Alderwood Smoked Sea Salt at a spot called the Savory Spice Shop. One whiff instantly transports me back to every awesome camping trip I’ve ever been on with an open fire pit and a fire-pokin’ stick. It’s insanely expensive but I would worship it like the carnivore crack cocaine that it is and use it responsibly. On everything.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #11

You’re right, I don’t, but the concept of a vinegar sea salt just turned me into Pavlov’s dog.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #12

You can get dehydrated vinegar solids.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #13

I just Googled seven of them and they all had maltodextrin, consarnit. That’s okay, because the idea of the Alder salt is pulling me in like a tasty vortex.

(Elizabeth ) #14

Try Maldon flakes…

(Dawn O Miller) #15

Like you I’ve become more sensitive to spices, especially anything with garlic, so I use mostly salt and pepper to flavor my meats.

I don’t know if anyone else is doing this, but to add flavor to my meals I’ve started combining different proteins together. Some of the combinations make sense like steak and fried eggs, keeping the yolk runny and using it as a sauce for the steak. I’ll also do hamburgers with fried eggs or with cheese & bacon. I’ve recently started doing Steak and grilled Shrimp.

Other combinations that don’t make a whole lot of sense but I like it so I keep doing eating them together: Dry Pork Ribs with Cocktail Shrimp and homemade kababs with mussels.

I hope I’m not putting myself in a position of ridicule but recently I’ve discovered there’s something about doing a “surf & turf” combination that makes the meal really tasty without the need to added herbs & spices.

(Elizabeth ) #16

Sounds awesome

(Stickin' with mammoth) #17

Funny you should mention that because, lately…

(adds shrimp to grocery list)

(Stickin' with mammoth) #18

Bought. Sprinkled. Buzzin’.

Worth every penny.

(Cathrine Helle) #19

I still use thyme and tarragon from time to time. Other than that, just salt and pepper. The only “sauce” i use is butter. I do sometimes miss garlic, but my digestion does not tolerate it. I also ate a lot more dairy in the beginning. Still have som cheese, but rarely, and I never make cream or sour cream sauces any longer. Even though my tastes have changed, I wouldn’t say that it’s vastly different.

(Chris) #20

My tastes change here and there. I can go with or without. I do find I tolerate most spices well, as far as what they do to me aside from changing the taste of my food. But some days I just want to taste the beef by itself.