I'm carnivore, hold the spice

(Stickin' with mammoth) #21

I can track my evolving health by the spices I craved.

When my thyroid was low from all the carbs in a vegan and then vegetarian diet, I couldn’t get enough pepper, either mild black or smokin’ hot reds. Now, just smelling them makes my face turn red and burn.

When my digestion sucked, I used to put powdered mustard and carmelized onions on my eggs every day and could practically drink vinegar. Now, I have a bottle of fancy-schmancy balsamic reduction in the cupboard I fear will never empty.

When my immune system was tanking, I had fresh garlic, powdered garlic, garlic granules…I had garlic everywhere. I used to sprinkle it on pizza like cheese. Now, it feels excessive and unnecessary.

The only siren song left singing is salt. I’m finally into something affordable.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

Oh, come on! Surely there is some expensive gourmet smoked salt from the wilds of Borneo that you could use to break your budget . . . :grin:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #23

No, I’m good.

(Kay) #24

I’m still using up these spices I have at home because I feel bad throwing them away. If I were to count their worth monetarily I bet instantly it would be clear how faulty this reasoning is. I can’t deny that taco seasoning on beef with sour cream is a lovely combination that I’m not totally ready to cut out. But I can’t wait until I am.

(Robert C) #25

I am not Carnivore (but planning on trying a month sometime).
I would think it is a good idea to add some spice (to increase input) if otherwise I was under-eating (essentially restricting calories).
Keto, Carnivore, Paleo, “low carb” etc. can all be good unless they essentially put you on a low calorie diet that slows metabolism.

My butcher makes a smoked chipotle streaky bacon…its a whole new level of nom nom! :yum:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #27

Is that, like, bacon that runs around naked, or…?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

If it isn’t, it should be! :bacon::bacon:

Mmmmmm naked bacon…:stuck_out_tongue:

Nope, am in Scotland.
This is what they usally refer to as just “bacon”

“Streaky bacon” is this…(so if you just say bacon they think you mean the above…)
Streaky-bacon

(Stickin' with mammoth) #30

Ah! I would’ve asked my elderly Scottish friend but he’s a vegan and I’ve already learned so many swear words from him…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

That first pic looks like the bacon my ex and I used to buy from the local butcher in London. When we were preparing to move to the States, he said to ask for “back gammon” in the U.S. I have no idea why, but the cuts seem to be almost completely different in the two countries—certainly the terminology is quite different.

Yeah, im used to “bacon” being more like the “streaky bacon” (moved here from the US) . Dident know what the other stuff was… yummy… but not what I consider bacon (hard to get back bacon all nice & crispy… its just not right…)

(Stickin' with mammoth) #33

Bacon bit goes from 0:19 to 0:48

(Margie) #34

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::+1:

(Susan) #35

I am not carnivore (although most of my macros are from meat and fat, I have some vegetables most days too) but I am not big into spices at all; I never have been, not even pre-Keto. I have noticed that foods are far better tasting on Keto and I really enjoy the food more. Eating far less, and healthier, and enjoying it way more =)…WIN/WIN!!

An older thread, just adding a bit.

I ditched almost all spice. I kept just a few. I love what Lauren said, you will have to pry her spices out of her cold dead hands. too funny!

I feel that way with the 3 last surviving spice mixes I use. But I noticed I am using them less over time and I also shake less on my meats. I like the low dose spice now. I like fresh meat as a taste, I like my very lightly spicy taste also on my meats.

Spice is not a food and Carnivores can have some. Spice is concentrated herbs etc…so just remember that if you are intolerant etc. more than another, you can have trouble with spices. But if you feel great using a bit and you want it, go for it.