If you still think vegetable oils are safe food, watch this

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

Thanks for this one!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #3

Welcome!

The one that always sticks with me is how Crisco began as an industrial machine lubricant and Proctor and Gamble said, “I bet we could make money selling this as food to idiots, I wonder what it would take for the American Heart Association to greenlight it?”

1.7 million dollars later…

Butter, coconut oil, and olive oil at low temp for me.

We used to always cook with lard when I was younger…I must see if I can get some.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #5

Don’t buy it at a store. They bleach it with chemicals and heat until it’s only a shade of it’s former delicious, nutritious self.

Where then? Butchers maybe…?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #7

Yeah, I just meant don’t buy commercially packaged lard. Call the meat counter of a grocery store and ask if they’ll save pork fat for you (they trim the fat off everything these days and just throw it away). Tell them you’re feeding it to birds or your dog and they might give it to you for free. I used to get free beef suet but they’re on to us now and are charging for it. (sigh)

Anyway, you can render the lard in the oven quite nicely in a roasting pan.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

You can buy pig fat and render the lard yourself. The kidney fat, called “leaf” lard, is supposedly the tastiest.

Crisco = Crystalized Cotton Oil.

Great Video. All makes sense now.

Long ago when visiting In-N-Out one day I asked what they cooked the french fries in. They said Cotton Seed Oil. First thought in my head was that is not even a food product!

So what’s the alternative if they run out, go down to Pep Boys and gets some Pennzoil?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #10

You’re closer to the truth than you think.

PS: “Yellow Penzoil” has been my running joke about movie theater popcorn for 40 years, now. I think they’re still reusing the same giant drum of the sh!t.

I can buy great lard from a local pig farm, I don’t think lard rendered from supermarket fat tissue would be nearly that good. Okay I know it isn’t. BUT it works in a pinch.
I minimize my added fat consumption so I don’t buy lard anymore as I found some cheap and nice mixed pork in the nearby town, 70/30 and it’s super fatty, I fry it, I eat it and I get enough lard to use for my scrambled eggs and whatnot for several days!

I never would buy pork fat tissue, it’s too expensive for something that has no meat. But I can buy quite cheap pig farm lard…

The supermarket lard is awful and it’s not even only lard! At least here but it seems the situation isn’t much better elsewhere.
Awful think, I would rather use NO added fat than eating that. I always can use coconut oil in a pinch as my SO uses that so we have it at home all the time.

I had to look up what Crisco is… Not very tempting, I must say… And I had margarine as a kid (the fanciest, most expensive one this country has, it tastes better than others but the bar is low… no wonder I stopped eating it when I moved out and no level of poverty could chase me back to it. I would have better ideas for cheap food).

I’ll see what I can get over here, and let you know what I think of it.

This is all very enlightening and exciting :slight_smile:

Eating margerine is equivalent, in nutrition comparisson terms, to eating synthesised plastic.

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

We don’t eat everything for nutrition though… I don’t necessarily care if a food item has no nutrition value. I care if it’s bad for me.

(I actually prefer nutritious food nowadays but I don’t eat everything for nutrition.)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

Well, since margarine is bad for us, it’s just as well that butter tastes so much better! :cow2:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #16

Interesting times we live in.

What are types of nutrition?

There are seven major classes of nutrients: carbohydrates, fats, fiber, minerals, protein, vitamins, and water .

So let’s eat sawdust, just for the craic of it.

Macro- and micronutrients I would think? But I don’t consider fat particularly nutritious, the same with pure sugar. Or even water even though that contains this and that… But they do have nutrients.

Fibers and zerocarb sweeteners give me no nutrients and they are still pretty popular. I definitely wouldn’t eat them for nutrition! (Though I don’t eat vegs or fruits for nutrition either, I don’t need those, they are just joy things sometimes. But they do have some nutrients, I know.)

Welcome in modern times…

So let’s eat sawdust, just for the craic of it.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #20

Slap a “KETO” or “VEGAN” label on that and you can sell it for double the price.