If you “can’t live without it” it’s controlling you and you are better than that

(Ron D. Garrett) #1

I’m always amazed at people who say that they want to lose weight or achieve better health or improve some medical condition with keto since they have seen how it is worked for me and want the results that I have but are not willing to does what I did and even stick with it to see the desired result.

They want to do it “their way” and my word to you is “go ahead…it’s your life” and I move on getting healthier and healthier while they remain caught in their own trap.

I also love how people are not willing to give up things that are harming them and will even say “oh…I don’t know if I can live without that” or “I can’t give that up” not realizing that that is an addictive mindset that God never intends for us to have.

For example. When the body has to deal with alcohol the body recognizes it as a poison and to keep it from killing you it basically reroutes most of its functionality to the liver so that it can metabolize it into a less harmful state and thus be excreted out of the body.

This process takes time and the entire time that this is happening no healing occurs, there is no repairing not muscle tissues, and to the person who is trying to lose body fat you must be aware that while the body in this protective process EVERYTHING that you eat regardless of it’s healthy or not (even Keto food) is immediately stored as fat on the body.

Over time as this process is repeated time and again the body starts to adapt and give up fighting what you are doing to it and the result is a dangerous fatty liver that can shorten your life in the worst and in the least make it very difficult to lose body fat.

So when I explain this process to someone who seeks my advice on losing body fat or who is seeking to reverse or improve a metabolic medical condition that they need to give up drinking alcohol at least for the first month or two of keto and they tell me “I don’t know if I can give it up” (whether it’s alcohol or certain foods…FOODS TOO!!! If you can’t give it up it’s a problem) I tell them “it appears that you have something much more serious and that is a burgeoning addiction that you need to deal with because what you are saying to me is that “it” is more important than your health, possibly having more time with your loved ones, or improving your condition.”

This behavior is also mirrored in our walk with God as we show our true colors when we are not willing to give up something that He is telling us to give up when we know that He knows what is best for our lives.

So I ask you today…what do you want? What goals do you want to achieve? Are you unknowingly bearing an addiction that may be killing you body and/or spirit?

If you “can’t” live without it for sometime (more than a couple of months) even when you know that it is harming you then you have your answer and this is the time for you to do something about it.

If you pray the pray!

If you do something else then do that (I prefer prayer myself).

BUT DO SOMETHING and stop being a slave to that thing that you know is slowly (or quickly) killing you.

Hey…I know from experience that getting on the road to healing from an addiction be it hidden or other is not easy but I can promise you that if you make those changes that you won’t regret it.

Take the time to be the best YOU that YOU can be and let nothing be it the enemy or more often your “flesh” if you are a “believer” or if not then whatever you believe don’t allow “it” to stop you!

I believe in you so start believing in yourself as you deserve to be healthy.

Said in love,

Ron “Big Black” Garrett
Feedback @carl or @richard if I’m wrong anywhere

Time to kick it up a notch
Don’t hinder your progress. Deal with your addictions
A interesting stall but not a plea for help, I have fun with this stuff
(Darlene Horsley) #2

I love this post of yours. :blush:

(Ron D. Garrett) #3

Thank you!

(Karen) #4

Amen brother! While poison is in the dose, I don’t think there is true benefit in alcohol that can not be achieved another, better way.

K

(Ellen) #5

I’m not a believer, but this is a wonderful & true post Ron, I share your sentiments.

Yeah a few people told me they’d like to eat the way I eat but can’t give up real bread or eat a burger without a bun… I usually say “Nobody is asking you to give anything up, it’s up to you to make that decision.”

(Diane) #7

I read another post (wish I could remember who said it) who reponds to the “I can’t give up my (bread, popcorn, potatoes, etc), with but you’ve already given up things to eat the way you eat now. Then explains that we were all asked to give up healthy fats, beef and fatty meats, butter, cream, etc. This is just another such change, with way more science to justify it!

Whoever it was, said it much better than me, but the idea has really stuck with me.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #8

I was reading on Ted Naiman’s page and he said, You have to start eating good foods before you can get rid of bad foods. So, focus on the gain. Bacon, steak, guac, whatever floats your boat.

Burgers without buns sometimes make me a wee bit sad. But generally, two forkfuls and I’m fine.

(CharleyD) #9

But they could look like this:

I’d like to offer that I’m completely dependent on caffiene. Nothing compels me to go and fix a cup in the mornings, I just know that I’m operating at a bit of a deficit before that first drink.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #10

I have recently had to dial my caffeine WAY back due to medication, and have dialed it back to zero for a year in the past. You can clear it in a couple weeks, and then only have occasional cravings. Depending on how bad your use of caffeine, it can be hard for a month or so. But once I was clear of it that year, no meds, I was really amazing sharp and my sleep was a lot better.

(Renee Slaughter) #11

This is an interesting thread. My friend just got her labs back A1C 9.5, declining kidney function and some wonky looking blood work. So she has a diabetic class to go to. So I’m sitting there !istening to her and another friend talk. When they were done, I told her what soneone dropped on my FB feed. “Food can either be the best medicine or the slowest acting poison”. I reminded her that I REVERSED my diabetes and lost weight. She said yes I know. However, there are some things people aren’t willing to do or perhaps since I’m not a doctor or even in the medical field. Who am I? Yeah so far no one’s asked me details of what I done. And those who have aren’t willing to try. So there we go.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #12

The Diabetes.Co.UK app might be good for your friend. It’s doctors, and real folks, mostly diabetics, all doing LCHF/Keto with lessons on how to do it. I’m tempted and I don’t have diabetes and have been around low carb for 15 years.

(Donna ) #13

That is so frustrating, Renee! :frowning:
I have a friend that has T2D and her numbers are bad. She says she doesn’t have the willpower that I have to do what I do.
I told her that I don’t consider myself as having great willpower. If I eat sugar I get crazy for more sugar, so I just don’t go there because I know how it makes me.
It’s kinda like getting burned by the stove, you stop putting your hand on the burner. I don’t consider that as having great willpower. It’s a sound decision based on good information.

(Renee Slaughter) #14

Too true. It’s like they assume you have to have this great willpower and I don’t. The physical desire is less still fighting some mental hunger but it’s manageable. But I will keep working on my friends.

(Doug) #15

You’re a good person who wants to help them, Renee. :slightly_smiling_face: You may not be a doctor, but getting better health from eating low-carb and fixing or lessening the bad stuff about diabetes is very common - there are so many of us whose health declined from eating too many carbohydrates in the first place.

There are some things that people really just don’t want to hear.

It took me a long time to really hear what this one person was saying, and he was my doctor. :smile:

(Ron D. Garrett) #16

Agreed! Thank you!

(Ron D. Garrett) #17

Thank you! That’s why I ensured that I made it both “believer” and those of other faiths or non-faiths. I hope it came across that way.

(Ron D. Garrett) #18

YES!!! Completely agree.

(Ron D. Garrett) #19

If you find it share please!! Love it!

(Ron D. Garrett) #20

After some time I actually prefer them without the bun. Probably because I always seem to have reflux after eating them the other way :joy: