IF Before Adaption

(Jacob Wagner) #1

I am having trouble controlling my glucose levels unless I fast for 18+ hours. So, I am considering starting regular IF. However, I am not yet fat adapted.

Does anyone have advice for starting IF before adaption?

–Jacob

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #2

Jacob, wishing you the best.

I’m fairly new to this WOE and IF happened to me naturally before my 2nd week ended. Keeping things simple is key for me.

(Vicki Stroud) #3

I am not fat adapted and am on my second day doing IF, It is surprisingly easy, and I feel better than I have in YEARS, so, I think it is a right fit for me, not sure about the whole not being fat adapted either, but, it is working for me. I am doing 20:4

(Ross) #4

It’s my understanding that the results are quite different if we IF pre/post adaptation.

Pre adaptation, if we fast, our body doesn’t have reasonable access to our bodyfat reserves and as a result our metabolic rate will slow down…IE it will make us fatter long term even if there is a short term loss. This is why the Biggest Looser contestants typ get fatter after they leave the show.

Post adaptation, the theory goes, our body has full access to fat reserves & thinks it has a near unlimited source of energy so the metabolic rate may even go up.

If you go on Keto / Banting / LCHF, chances are you’ll drop weight no matter what back to your “set weight” even without IF.

(Vicki Stroud) #5

I am mainly doing it because I am really not hungry, I don’t get hungry until late in the day, I don’t even drink BPC in the morning any longer due to the fact that I am just not hungry and need to force it down. So, I am doing what my body is telling me to do. Though I really don’t think that I am fat adapted, I am using the last of my sticks, and they are very dark in the morning, the rest of the day they fade to almost nothing, am not buying anymore after these are gone. Eating this way, I have a ton more energy than I did before, and have zero hunger anything. Maybe I AM fat adapted? Seems kind of soon to me. AND sleep will not be an indicator for me as I have a severe case of RLS, my meds really don’t work, so, if I get 4 hours of sleep I am extremely lucky.

(Jacob Wagner) #6

Is there perhaps an in between?

When I say I am not adapted I mean that I haven’t hit the point at several weeks on keto when people talk about suddenly getting a burst of energy and a significant reduction in cravings.

I am not there, but neither am I a total carb burner.

My theory is that doing IF (something like 20/4) will give me some time with low glucose and insulin levels to help get me to adaption.

That is a little different from the biggest looser.

–Jacob

(Ross) #7

maybe? I would guess it’s a continuum of some kind but I don’t know.

It’s a complex enough process to involve gene expression.

(Doug) #8

Vicki, there has to be a lot of individual variation here. Scared by suddenly being Type 2 Diabetic, I jumped into ketogenic eating and fasting, and never suffered a bit with “keto flu” or the like, and this was leaving a lifestyle where it was usual to have 5 or 6 quarts of beer, 8 dinner rolls, a big baked potato and a steak.

(Tom) #9

I disagree. The Biggest Loser used a calorie restrictive low fat high carb and ridiculous exercise levels, and they seemed to be munching stuff all day. IF isn’t about what you eat so much as when you eat it. It’s about giving your insulin levels a chance to fall. Anyway I moved into keto from a “normal” diet and was fasting using the 5:2 method for about a year, which sort of morphed into 16:8 with some fast days thrown in, and only recently am I starting keto.

@Jacob4Jesus Just get started, but work up to 18 hours if that’s your goal. If you don’t make it for the first few days that’s OK - any period you’re not eating is good as it lets your insulin levels fall, maybe on day 1 you just skip breakfast and eat lunch. You don’t have to do it every day either. I had some good success with Michael Mosley’s 5:2 method (600 calories for men on two days, for me it worked best in one evening meal, and eat normally but sensibly the other 5 days. His book is worth reading, as is Jason Fung’s The Obesity Code. Good luck and enjoy!