IF and walking

(Mike Williams) #1

Hi guys. I have been “dipping my toes” more into the IF world with doing keto. This week was kind of “strange week” for me. I felt the urge to “test myself” while amidst fasting window. One note learned and discovered… when testing yourself walking stick to neighborhood streets. Otherwise you will be losing time waiting on busy intersections. Sorry, ADHD moment. I found that the two days I was working on my 24 hour fast, were my best walking times, so far. Is that a “normal” thing for someone keto adapted and doing IF?

I frequently exercise while in a fasted state. For the most part, I feel better than when I exercise close to a meal.

I’ve also found that I’m more alert when I’m done if I prolong the fast. This is especially important when you need to drive home afterwards. Back when I used to consume gels during a day hike, I found that I was sleepy on the drive home. But, now, I’m able to hike all day and drive home without the challenge of keeping my eyes open. My hiking companions will sometimes offer me food, but I tell them that driving is easier without it.

(Mike Williams) #3

I am still new to the IF world. I have only been drinking the IF “koolaid (sugar free) lol” for few weeks now. It is really amazing. My only negative about it that I have encountered is, could be because of the keto too, not sure, is I have to raise my home AC because it was too cold. Normally during the summer I keep it at 77°F. Recently after being on keto and starting IF, I had to raise it to 78°F.

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

Lots of us workout fasted. I really enjoy my fasting walks, I can go faster and longer fasted. I always up my body flex class weights when mid-fast. I find I can do all the moves more smoothly, no struggles at all.

KCKO
KCFO

(Tim W) #5

Fasting can lead to an up-regulation of endorphins and other hormones that protect/build muscle (it makes sense, if grog was fasting due to not being able to catch food, the body should up-regulate those things to keep him moving and able to catch dinner).

So, you’ll likely experience this kind of result the more you fast/use IF. Like others, I prefer to work out fasted, during IF sessions and even during long fasts. I’ve started adding BCAs during fasted exercise but that’s because I’m focusing more on building muscle than loosing fat.

Best of luck to you!

(Mike Williams) #6

I do calisthenics workouts in the morning before leaving for work. I have been doing them fasted without any real issues.

(Troy) #7

IF
-Walking , and weightlifting, all the time!!:rofl:
-cycling, mixing that up still. Bonking here and there😩
Changing up my proteins and macros, IF mode, sometimes

Fun stuff😄

(LeeAnn Brooks) #8

I have to run at least 8 hours fasted. Otherwise my stomach hates me.

(Mike Williams) #9

I had something interesting happen today when walking while fasted. I got back after my walk and for some reason, I am still “not hungry”. Is that a normal thing for keto and IF? I am only asking because it is a first for me. I think I am extending my 18 hour fast to a 42 hour fast. I am still learning and tweaking the IF world.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #10

Yes, this is the natural transition into being fat adapted. You will feel less and less hunger.

Wait until you go a whole day and forget to eat.

(Mike Williams) #11

Thanks for the inside. I thought I was being possessed. lol

(Mike Williams) #12

Made another PR for myself while fasting. Was at the end of a 42 hour fast when I did my walk today. Increased my walking speed from 3.4mph to 3.8mph. this IF stuff is pretty cool.