Ice Cream without sugar (or sugar alternates)! Possible?

(Paul Melzer) #1

I’ve read that sugar, beyond its sweetening, is key to making a nice consistency in ice cream (something about forming the ice crystals). I don’t want the sugar, obviously, but I also don’t want the heavy SWEET flavor that it brings. Nor do I want to use something like SWERVE or any other alternate sweetener; I simply want to make an ice cream that is sweetened by some fruit (for example, blueberries or strawberries), which are plenty sweet and great simply with heavy, whipped, or sour cream. I really like ice cream and I wonder if anyone has a good recipe to make churned ice cream with no added sweetener other than a fruit ingredient. Or how about an 85% dark chocolate ice cream. Sounds pretty yummy.

Looking for recipes I’ve come up empty-handed so far. Everybody wants to hang onto their sweet treats (make every dessert they used to but with non-sugar sweeteners), but I’ve really lost my sugar/sweet cravings, and DON’T WANT THEM BACK.

One thought I have is to make a custard first (unsweetened, of course) and use it to help make it thicker/creamier.

(Jo O) #2

Look at Carrie Brown at Ketovangelist.com.
She has an ebook devoted to Keto ice creams.
FYI, she’s a professional pastry chef, so texture & flavor are important.

(Paul Melzer) #3

Thank you, Jo, but I’m not going to buy the recipe book without know there are plenty of recipes that don’t call for the standard sweet substitutes. There’s no indication, upon first perusal of the website, of the no-added-sweetener ice cream.

(Jo O) #4

You’ll probably need to just experiment. Good luck!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #5

I put 75g of frozen mixed berries in 55g of heavy whipping cream with a wee bit of equal. And sometimes a square of dark chocolate. That goes in the stick blender, and blended to creamy. Don’t need the sweetener if you want it less sweet.

I do this on a food scale, that’s why it’s all in weights.

In the summer I make a lot of blender ice cream. Sometimes I use a custard, mostly not. Cream and homemade almond milk are the liquids. Without sugar (which acts as an anti-freeze of sorts), ice cream can get very hard in the freezer, but freshly made, it’s great.

I’ve made fruit ice creams (peach, apricot, blueberry, strawberry) but the carb counts tend to be high. I prefer to use lots of fruit. If I were to use enough fruits to make it slightly sweet, however, it would be even more carby. My fruits are all home-grown, picked at perfection and on the sweet side to begin with, but I use them more for flavor. I do use a small amount of sweetener to keep the carbs lower.

(Brian) #7

I think I’ve seen the name before but hadn’t explored any further until today. That ice cream book looks good! And that’s something I’ve not been successful with before so I might just have to put that on my wish list.

I certainly appreciate the credentials. Taste and texture are very high on my list. Some stuff tastes good but the texture is off. Some things have a nice texture but the taste is off. So if she’s been able to get some of this stuff right, I’m definitely interested!

:slight_smile:

(Paul Melzer) #8

A good way to sell her book would be to serve up a free recipe or two.

(Angelica Lopez) #9

I purchased my own ice cream maker and only used sugar alcohols. As far as a recipe it was the average one found online as far as the custard. Comes out pretty good other than it freezing kinda hard without those additives. Whenever I added ingredients like chocolate or nuts, I did it as the ice cream was halfway done. That or you can puree your berries and add it to the mixture before churning. I will tell you that the normal sweetness is going to be hard to achieve with just berries. I’ve tried and failed, it always tastes bland. That’s why I eat real ice cream only when I do refeeds, it was too much trouble.

(Trish) #10

Try chocolate covered Katie. She has some good recipes. Saw some ice cream stuff there recently. She also has a keto section.

(Jo O) #11

She has free recipes on the website.
Plus she walks through a recipe in each episode of her podcast.
FYI this is her income.

(Jo O) #12

Y’all are way more ambitious than me. Plus I have zero space in the freezer. (Just bought 8 pounds of European styled butter at Kroger for $2.99 each).

Simple frozen berries, HWC or sour cream, vanilla & salt is all I need. Right now I have a cold & can’t taste anything. So didn’t bother wasting vanilla.

(Lauren Lake) #13

I use this recipe for salted caramel ice cream. https://www.ruled.me/butterscotch-sea-salt-ice-cream/

I use a lot less sweetener than the recipe calls for. You could try it with none. It has a bit of vodka to make sure it doesn’t freeze solid.

I’ve also made it with an added tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, which makes a nice chocolate ice cream.

(Jay AM) #14

Isn’t that what you’re trying to do with this ice cream thing? You could try a sherbet with frozen berries. Or a smoothie with ice, frozen berries, and cream. I’d imagine you could use any old ice cream base recipe, take out the sweetener, cook your berries down to release their juices, and add that liquid in place or with some of the recipe liquid. The concern being how quickly carbs can add up.

Here’s a simple ingredient recipe I found for base.

(Bacon for the Win) #15

this. wonderful things come from this cookbook.

(Paul Melzer) #16

Ha, yes I suppose in a way I’m wanting to keep a remnant of my sweet tooth. I do like creamy and cold. My op was really about two things, I guess. I was reminded of the one thing (hanging onto our old tastes) when the other day at work we celebrated one of my colleagues’ birthdays and someone had bought a standard grocery store chocolate cake. Everyone sat around the conference table and had their piece. There’s one other in my building who generally is low carb and who has successfully given up hardcore sugar (he had a real habit before I steered him away from it). He had a piece of the cake, not sure why, and he looked over at me and said quietly “you’ve got some great willpower” and I thought to myself, not really willpower, I simply no longer like sugary sweet things. I’m quite satisfied remembering all the great, delicious high carb foods I used to eat, and I don’t really miss them. I guess I count myself lucky in this regard, that I no longer have to use willpower to avoid these slow-death foods. (I suppose I should add that I simply do not like the taste or physical effect of any alternative sweeteners…tried em.)

But, getting back to my wish to have some unsweetened ice cream—or I should say, since I think there are savory ice creams and I’m not talking about those, mildly sweet ice creams. If I were to have, say 4 strawberries in a 3-4 oz of heavy cream, I think the sweetness of the berries and the cream would be fine for the kind of taste I’m after (and I don’t think the carbs would be excessive at all). Lauren_Lake’s suggestion that a little vodka would serve, like sugar in traditional ice cream, to prevent it freezing solid, is helpful (thanks), and I want to thank everyone who has commented on this thread!!! I’ll try some experiments since I seem to be a lone voice in this quest.

And, finally, back to the philosophical point, I do enjoy thinking about this issue (since it has been important to my own eating transformation) what things to let go and how to let them go. It seems to me in my evolution, that I struggle with and can sometimes overcome the burden of my habituated tastes. Sweets are one of the biggies, not just for me (obvious from all the amount of recipes that call for stevia, erythritol, etc., etc., etc.). My opinion (just my opinion) is that this attachment can often (or maybe always) be a burden on the road to wellness. I WOULD like to see more dessert cookbooks (and yes, I’d pay for them if this were their focus) that took this into consideration, I think for the good of the consumer (again, my opinion).

Enough for this sermon…off to the gym. Thanks again, all. Have a great weekend.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #17

I find that a small amount of sweetener that I add to my mixed berries and heavy cream makes a world of difference. Without, the cream feels like it coats my mouth, which I don’t care for.

I might try micro planing some dark chocolate in, rather than blending, and seeing if that replaces the fake sugar.

I’m in the UK and here Tesco have an amazing vanilla double cream in their finest range. It is really thick anyway but i have found that semi - frozen (just a short time in the freezer) it equates to an amazing vanilla ice cream in both flavour and texture.

(Nathanael Schulte) #19

I went ahead and bought Carrie Brown’s book after her interview with the dudes a couple weeks back.

Here’s a free recipe which you could probably leave the sweetener out of.

I’ve now made two of the recipes from her book - Chocolate (I added cayenne & cinnamon) & White Russian. They both came out great and the bases varied quite a bit - probably because the White Russian had alcohol in it. But she really does know her stuff with texture, and she recommends Xylotol specifically for the texture, vs. stevia, erythritol, etc. I think you could probably do this recipe or one of her many fruit based recipes without sweetener and be just fine. The common denominator for getting the texture right seems to be guar gum, and it sounds like from some of the threads on here that brand really matters. Bob’s Red Mill seems to be consistently good and it’s the brand I’ve used successfully.

Anyway, my take is that the e-book is worth $9.50 and you’ll probably get what you’re craving.

(Charlotte) #20

You’re just not going to get that classic creamy ice cream consistency without sugar, but there are some tricks to help approximate it:

The easiest/most basic: just throw some frozen berries in a blender with some heavy cream, sour cream or full-fat canned coconut milk (a vitamix or other high-powered blender will work best for this), mix, and you’ve got instant soft-serve. Boom. This works best if you’re going to make a single-serve portion and eat it right away. It will ice up a lot if you make a batch and freeze it.

To make churned ice cream that isn’t too icy (without sugar you’re going to have to let it sit out on the counter and soften a bit before it approximates a classic ice cream consistency no matter what you do), adding a small amount of unflavored vodka or rum will help keep it from getting too hard. Xanthan gum or gelatin can also help with consistency.

I’ve made this recipe before in my ice cream maker and it came out really nice. Maybe try it without the erythritol and see how it turns out: