Ice cream, frozen custard, etc

(AnnaLeeThal) #1

I have an ice cream maker attachment for my KitchenAid coming in the mail. Please give me all your favorite Keto ice cream recipes!

Mint chocolate chip is my favorite ice cream by far.

Newb (to this forum) from Canada - saying Hi!
(Kelly LeBlanc) #2

All the keto ice creams I have tried are really good when you first make them and chill for a few hours, but more than 4 hours they are rock hard and can’t be scooped without letting them sit at room temp for 30+ minutes to soften. So to get around that I freeze then in small individual size containers.

This is my favorite small batch ice cream right now. http://www.ruled.me/keto-mocha-ice-cream/

I also just bought this book and the author claims her ice creams have the same texture as regular. I haven’t tried them yet. Just got the book. http://carriebrown.com/eat-smarter-ice-creams-e-cookbook

(Kara) #3

I had a similar experience to @CrazyCaper where all the recipes I tried turned rock hard after a couple hours in the freezer. …until now! My husband and I have been turning to old episodes of Alton Brown’s Good Eats for suggestions on how to make things like mayo, hollandaise, and now ice cream. We love how he goes into detail on the chemistry and molecular structure of the foods.

We followed this recipe just substituting more heavy cream for 1/2-1/2 and subbing xylitol for sugar. It will need a little tinkering as it’s way too sweet, but it’s been in the freezer 3 days and is still scoopably soft!! After so many rock hard batches, this is amazing!

WARNING: apparently Xylitol is very poisonous to dogs, so if you have canine family members, use caution or a substitute sweetener.

(Genevieve Biggs) #4

Classic from the Zero Carb Pioneer, The Bear:

“I make a wonderful zero-carb ice cream with raw egg yolks, heavy cream, lactose-free milk protein and various flavours like vanilla and espresso. I use a very small amount of aspartame as a sweetener, since ice cream seems to need it. I have two sizes of White Mountain churn. Typical: 16 egg yolks, 2 litres heavy cream (35% mf), one cup water with two heaping tablespoons of a 3 to 1 mixture of calcium caseinate/ion exchange whey (or uselactose free ‘total milk protein’- if you can find it), 1/4 teaspoon aspartame (Nutrasweet), three cups double short-black espresso, 2 tablespoon of high quality vanilla extract. Use a 6 qt churn with coarse salt and broken lump ice. Don’t let the churn go too long, or it will turn to butter. You can skip the milk protein, but the texture will suffer.”

Ice Cream
(AnnaLeeThal) #5

I tried a recipe last night, I think my bowl wasn’t frozen solid because the mix didn’t freeze. I trying again tonight. The mix tasted really really good. Like almost too good. I used Swerve, some Lakanto golden, and a couple squirts of monkfruit extract cause I didn’t have enough Swerve.

(Jacquie) #6

Sounds delish and looks like the real thing. Mint chocolate was always my favourite and this would be dangerous territory for me. :wink:

(AnnaLeeThal) #7

I ommited the green food coloring.

(AnnaLeeThal) #8

Ok. The mint chocolate chip frozen custard turned out freaking amazing. Tasted like normal ice cream. I’m totally keeping a batch in the freezer at all times.

(Chris Rudolphi) #9

+1 Way Up for Carrie Brown’s ice cream recipes. Texture is spot on and stays scoop-able.

(Kelly LeBlanc) #10

@AnnaLeeMI, it almost looks like coffee chocolate chip. That would be a good combo too.

(AnnaLeeThal) #11

Yes!

I recently got an ice cream maker too…will have to give this one a go!! I’ve only made a batch of vanilla so far. It was delicious!! But the best part? Pre-Keto I would always over eat ice cream - no doubt one of my favourite foods. Now that I’m kickin’ it with the keto crowd a small scoop is plenty and doesn’t leave me craving for more. Two thumbs up!!

(@CubanBarbie) #13

Can’t wait to make this for my daughter. It’s her favorite. Thanks for the recipe, picture, and review! We plan to get an ice cream maker in time for summer…this will be our first attempt!

(Nick) #14

Hi. A really quick way of making custard which, if you just throw in the freezer for a while, it turns into a kind of soft-serve slush, is described here. Let me know if you have any questions:
Miraculous Microwave Custard

(Otek Mai) #15

I made this last night, following the recipe exactly, and it was delicious. Thank you for posting!

(Nick) #16

My pleasure. If you get silicon chocolate moulds and pour it in, and then freeze them, you have a lovely ice-creamy treat available.

(Brad) #17

I too have Carrie’s ice cream cookbook, Made about 4 or 5 flavors…follow the directions… they are so yummy

(Dustin Sherrill) #18

Ice cream has always been my keto kryptonite. I need to start making these keto friendly recipes.