Newb (to this forum) from Canada - saying Hi!

(m) #1

Hey guys, new to this forum, 77 days on keto. I’m down about 15lbs so far (start of 183 on Apr 24). I had WLS about 10 years ago, lost 140lbs over a couple years, gained a bit back and settled in around the 180’s. I’m 5’6" and female.

I’m doing keto to get down to my goal weight, which is currently 142, but we’ll see how I feel when I get there. That was my goal weight after WLS, and although I did get there for a little while, I was very sickly and it wasn’t a fun time. I love keto so far and don’t intend to do this only to lose the weight, I fully intend to stay on after I meet my goal.

Discovered this forum after a couple weeks of listening to the podcast (It took me that long to get from the first podcast to the point where this forum was created!) I’m about 4 podcasts away from being caught up. :slight_smile:

Just received my Freestyle Neo in the mail, picked up some ketone strips and have tested a few times since. I’m happy to confirm that I am in ketosis… I just wanted some reassurance. I had some Ketostix leftover from the old days but knew enough not to put too much faith in those, especially being a little further into Keto now, so I wanted to give the blood ketone meter a try. I also ordered a cheap breath alcohol tester from Amazon, cause why not!?

Even though there is weight loss, its slow and very up and down. I lost the majority of my 15lbs so far within the first few weeks. But that’s ok, it’s going downwards, and I’m in this for the long haul. I’m enjoying what I eat, and I don’t feel deprived. I don’t miss any of the “goodies” that I used to splurge on (well, I do still side-eye up the Haagen Dazs when I go down that aisle), and have found some delicious LCHF foods to make me very happy.

Anyways, just wanted to get some initial posts under my belt to build up my keto-cred here and look forward to learning from you all in the future,

And to Carl and Richard, if you see this: thank you for your fantastic podcast and for creating this forum. You’re obviously a great help to many, including me, and you’ve filled my last few weeks with many giggles and lots of cool info.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #2

Welcome! I’m a slow loser too, you are correct it will come off :sunglasses:. I’ll be at a year on 07/22 and I’m 80 pounds down.
If the side looks in the ice cream isle become too tempting, explore the keto ice creams here

I really enjoy Carrie Brown’s ice cream recipes, I’ve made them out of her cookbook, here’s a free one (I don’t eat peanut butter so haven’t tried this one)

(m) #3

I recently got an icecream maker for that exact reason! I have a big collection of recipes to try, but my ice cream machine is the problem, it keeps ruining my batches (paddle freezes up before churning enough, even with very minimal time chilling the bowl in the freezer). But thank you for this one!

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #4

Hi! Welcome fellow Canadian. I was in the lead up to WLS for the last couple of years and was really struggling to lose weight under the guidance of the dietitians at the clinic prior to surgery. Then I discovered keto and now nine-ish months into it, I’m 50 lbs lighter and still (slowly!) going down. I also pulled out of the WLS program for the moment to see if I can keep doing down with keto. They were pushing for Roux-en-Y WLS and frankly it scared me, but I was at my wits end by then. What was your experience like?

(m) #5

Hello other Canadian!

To keep a very long story kind of short:

I got the lapband in 2006. I would have preferred another procedure, I was on waiting lists for WLS that would have been covered by the gov’t, as I was considered morbidly obese, but those lists were years long. I would have preferred something other than the lapband, Roux-en-y was up there on the list. I wanted to go to Mexico, as it was cheaper there. I compromised with my parents, they were worried about everything, so I ended up going to Ontario for the lapband at a clinic there. (had been living in SK at the time) It was pretty smooth for the first year or so.

Then I starting with the ‘productive burps’ ie: burping up what had just went down. I was often aspirating into my lungs at night when trying to sleep, so always had to be propped up so i was inclined. I had fills and unfills constantly. This wasn’t easy, because I had moved, and the nearest person to do this was a 4 hour drive away. Eventually I was bringing up my food constantly. But I was losing weight… oh that glorious weight loss. I couldn’t tell anyone or do anything about it, or they’ll take it out and I’ll gain everything back. I put up with this for way too long. I was sustaining myself on ice cold milk and Haagen Dazs because it was the only thing that soothed my aching stomach. (I’m talking a minimum of 4L of milk and a couple pints of ice cream a day, not sure how much of it was actually kept down though). I lost 140-ish pounds but was sick an miserable. At one point I had a permanent IV to get fluids in for a week, because no one at the hospital in my town knew what to do with me. (“She’s got some kind of band on her stomach, probably got it in Mexico” I heard one of the nurses whisper when I was there)

I contacted my surgeon, told him of all my problems and after a barium swallow at my local hospital (then mailed to him), he asked me to come to back to Ontario so he could have a look and probably adjust the position of my band. I did so, and he ended up replacing it with a new one.

Anyways, after that, I gained back some weight and stabilized in the 160’s for quite a while. Was still having problems with eating, but not nearly as bad. Still getting fills and defills all the time. Gained back up into the 180’s and again stayed there for a very long time.

I decided I was ok with this weight, but not with all the excess skin. I would feel so much better with my body if I didn’t have to wear compression garments all the time to hold all my flesh in to fit into my clothes. Soooo… saved up all my money, borrowed some, and went to Mexico for some very extensive skin removal. That was 3 years ago. I am and was very happy with the results (13lbs of skin/fat removed and 3L liposuctioned). I knew I should have tried to get down to my ultimate goal weight, but it wasn’t happening, I was doing very well at work with the commissions I was saving, and I was able to take the 6 weeks off for recovery. I’ve stayed in the 180’s-190s since then. Prior to the plastic surgery, I had to have all the liquid in my band removed, and no one has touched it since. I still have discomfort if I eat too fast, can throw anything up on command if I wanted to… but its still in there. I’m sure it’s helping in a way, if nothing else, causing me to eat slower. I can eat a normal person amount, it just takes a long time.

About a year ago I decided I wanted to give weight loss a real shot again. If I once again end up all saggy and baggy, whatever… I’ll save up again and get another renovation. I’ve done some silly things since then, including a master cleanse and a few rounds of HCG. Then a couple months ago, a bodybuilder friend mentioned keto in passing, I started googling it, and was like “Yup, gotta try this”. I’d done Atkins before with some success, but I don’t think I’ve ever stuck with anything as long as I have now with keto, and definitely never without “cheating”.

That’s my still very long, but still very condensed experience! Could I have lost the weight without the band? I’ll never know. I’d tried everything at that time, and I was only going upward. I felt like I had missed out on my teens, and most of my twenties, I didn’t want to do that anymore. I certainly didn’t know about keto back then, nor would I have had the kind of online support/available information that I have now. Back then the best I could do was Atkins, but I couldn’t stick with it. Maybe it’s just cause I’m older and wiser now, but I am sticking with this to get my to the finish line!

(Joseph) #6

Howdy from Texas! Welcome to the forums!

(LUCAS KRAUSE) #7

I find adding alcohol (vodka) can help with this problem, but it could be something else too. A tsp or two might do the trick.

(m) #8

I tried that in attempt #2 and it still did it! The best result I had was after keeping the bowl only 4 hours in the freezer, (the minimum time according to the instructions should be 10hours) and that let me mix for 10 mins before it seized up the machine. Even then it was not fully mixed, it was runny in the middle. I’ll keep trying, or just return the machine and try another one!

(m) #9

Thank you, sir!

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #10

Thanks for that. Keto was a revelation for me realising that CICO didn’t work for me and that weight gain and loss can really be a hormonal thing primarily driven by insulin. I’ve been on countless diets over the decades and none worked long term, until keto. Dietitians have accused me of cheating because of no weight loss on 1600 kcals a day, one threw their hands in the air and said I’d have to eat under 1000 kcals per day to have any hope of losing weight…been there, done that, lost very minimal weight and just about gave up on life due to the misery that dieting caused. WLS was looking to be my only chance, but I realised that it’s nothing more than severe calorie restriction with reduced side effects. Yeah, it changes gut bacteria, but I believe that’s due to the calorie restriction. I discovered the 2KD podcast November last year, binged on the earlier episodes and haven’t missed one since. Keto is the only diet that seems to fit perfectly with (all?) the science behind it. Other diets pick and choose their data to make them look good. To be honest, my family is scared shitless of my way of eating now. It turns the food pyramid upside down and flys in the face of everything we’ve been told for the past 1/2 century. But I’m staking my life on this WOE and so far every blood test I’ve taken, every measurement I can do, every indicator I know of, is showing a marked change for the better. Only time will confirm my decision.

(LJ) #11

Welcome to the friendliest Keto Forum around! I’m new here, too.

Keep calm and Keto on (KCKO)!

(Keto in Katy) #12

Where are you? I’m in Katy near Houston.

(Joseph) #13

I am actually in Austin!

(Keto in Katy) #14

My favorite city, went to school there.

(Joseph) #15

Right on! Did you go to UT? I went to Texas Tech, but I am about to finish up my degree in Psychology at Texas State.

(Keto in Katy) #16

Yup, UT grad, used to run down to San Marcos often with friends to float the river and party. That was always a fun town. I hope it still is.

(Kevin Takahashi) #17

Hey from Toronto! :slight_smile:

(Kay) #18

Hello! I’m in Canada too
I’ve been browsing through lots of the posts here and thought its time I said hi. I’m so happy to see so many others working through lots of the same lifestyle puzzles as I am. I’ve gone through so many evolutions on my way to keto and fasting. Some of my nutritional experiments have improved my life beyond my hopes and expectations and some were sickeningly disastrous. The worst part for me has always been the eye rolling, head shaking, condescension I come across way too often from people with their rock solid conventional health beliefs. It’s so refreshing to find this amazing group who seem open and supportive of experimenting with different ways of eating and living.

(m) #19

Hello hello!

(m) #20

Welcome, We’re glad you’re here too! I’m sure everyone can relate to that kind of response. I personally hate it when people seem to feel bad for me because “she can’t eat the Chinese food or birthday cake”. I’m ok with it!