I took the SV plunge!

(Candy Lind) #1

Amazon pushed me over the edge with these …

Yes, I know they’ll be trimmed beyond recognition as a fat-bearing substance. I’ll make up for it with the browned butter. I’ll pick up the steaks in a few minutes, & the SV will arrive between noon & 2 (Prime Now, you spoil me!!). Can’t wait to try this!

It’s different, and takes some getting used to, but I think you’re gonna love it!

(Carpe salata!) #3

Maybe give them 2hrs to get that remaining fat chunk all soft and delicious.

I know you’ll be ripping that thing open after 30 mins anyway :steakcake:

ENJOY!

@CandyLindTX our sous-vide came with a cooking guide to tell you low long to cook different kinds of food. I’m assuming yours will too, but basically I kinda think of it like a crock pot. Set it and forget it. Some steaks are going to be way better the longer they cook.

Enjoy!

(Carpe salata!) #5

So true. Its a bit of home alchemy :slight_smile:

Fish has to come out after maybe 20mins. Some meats do benefit from way longer hours to really tenderise. For a good steak, I generally go an hour then 30sec each side in a hot pan. Then maybe 2mins edge-on the fatty side to make it more delicious. You’ll love it @CandyLindTX .

(Mike W.) #6

Congrats! What brand did you get?

(Candy Lind) #7

Anova BT. It’s preheating now.
:grin: :grin: :grin:
QUESTION! My ribeyes came cryo-packed. Any reason I can’t cook them in their packaging? And do I cook based on total weight when doing multiple items?

We always vacuum seal ours, [redacted]. We’ve cooked them thawed and frozen. It just takes longer frozen, of course.

EDIT: Don’t follow my advice. Read this comment instead. @LeCheffre is more smarter than I am. :grin:

I don’t know if weight has ever come up, when decided the cooking time. I believe as long as the water is covering them, it should be fine.

And it helps keep the temperature constant, if you have a lid for your container.

(Robert C) #9

I would be careful about using the existing packaging.
If it has been frozen for a long time and/or in contact with dry ice, it may be way weaker than usual.
It only takes a small hole and those nice steaks will be being boiled as much as sous-vide.
The other downside (for some) is that you cannot add seasoning.

Didn’t think about that. You’re absolutely right!

(Mike W.) #11

Nice! You can just use the Anova app. There are guides and recipes and when selected will automatically set your Anova to do work! Personally I like steaks at 129 for 1-2 hours. Depending on thickness. Add an hour if frozen.

What!? :exploding_head:

I got to get with the times.

I don’t think ours does this, but I can always get a new one for Christmas! :grin:

(bulkbiker) #13

Interesting… I have been cooking my sirloins (NY Strip for the US members) for 24 hours but at lower temps 50 degrees c or 120 F with some good results tonight I browned them in a dry very hot pan and got a great crust and a great sear on the fat. All the sinew became soft and tasty…so all got eaten!

We’ve cooked some flank steaks for 24 hours, that are generally pretty tough, but came out as tender as a sirloin.

(Mike W.) #15

I recently hit up the “Managers Special” section at our local grocer and got all this for $53! I “dry brined” them for 48 hours and then bagged them up, sous vide 129/2 hours, Ice bath and into the freezer. It’s so convenient to just have to warm slightly and then sear when we want to use them!

Even my daughter loves sous vide steak :heart_eyes:

(Candy Lind) #16

That middle pic - is that fridge or freezer, and what’s going on there? Brining?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #17

Don’t cook in cryovac, unless it is rated for sous vide. The seams are frequently not up to the sustained warm temps of sous vide.

You never cook to weight. You cook to thickness of the thinnest dimension, and amount of collagen breakdown you need. For steaks and tender cuts, it’s entirely determined by the thickness of the steak. For parts of animals that actually work (the front, the back and the bottom) it’s more about collagen breakdown than thickness. As such, for steaks, format makes more difference than weight.

I trust the advice of Anova, Nomiku and other manufacturers of sous vide gear about as far as I can throw them. Doug Baldwin has your safety in mind.
http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

(Mike W.) #18

Fridge. I salt HEAVILY and then let them sit for 48 hours.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #19

With the manager’s special section, I would make sure I cooked to a pasteurization time/temp.

(Mike W.) #20

It’s all close dates, not out dates. Sous vide was a blessing when my wife was pregnant because she could still enjoy medium rare steaks, safely through pasteurization. I had the Douglas Baldwin website as my homepage :joy: