I took the SV plunge!

What!? :exploding_head:

I got to get with the times.

I don’t think ours does this, but I can always get a new one for Christmas! :grin:

(bulkbiker) #13

Interesting… I have been cooking my sirloins (NY Strip for the US members) for 24 hours but at lower temps 50 degrees c or 120 F with some good results tonight I browned them in a dry very hot pan and got a great crust and a great sear on the fat. All the sinew became soft and tasty…so all got eaten!

We’ve cooked some flank steaks for 24 hours, that are generally pretty tough, but came out as tender as a sirloin.

(Mike W.) #15

I recently hit up the “Managers Special” section at our local grocer and got all this for $53! I “dry brined” them for 48 hours and then bagged them up, sous vide 129/2 hours, Ice bath and into the freezer. It’s so convenient to just have to warm slightly and then sear when we want to use them!

Even my daughter loves sous vide steak :heart_eyes:

(Candy Lind) #16

That middle pic - is that fridge or freezer, and what’s going on there? Brining?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #17

Don’t cook in cryovac, unless it is rated for sous vide. The seams are frequently not up to the sustained warm temps of sous vide.

You never cook to weight. You cook to thickness of the thinnest dimension, and amount of collagen breakdown you need. For steaks and tender cuts, it’s entirely determined by the thickness of the steak. For parts of animals that actually work (the front, the back and the bottom) it’s more about collagen breakdown than thickness. As such, for steaks, format makes more difference than weight.

I trust the advice of Anova, Nomiku and other manufacturers of sous vide gear about as far as I can throw them. Doug Baldwin has your safety in mind.
http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

(Mike W.) #18

Fridge. I salt HEAVILY and then let them sit for 48 hours.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #19

With the manager’s special section, I would make sure I cooked to a pasteurization time/temp.

(Mike W.) #20

It’s all close dates, not out dates. Sous vide was a blessing when my wife was pregnant because she could still enjoy medium rare steaks, safely through pasteurization. I had the Douglas Baldwin website as my homepage :joy:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #21

Sous vide is rarely the final step. There is always chance to season ahead of SV processing, and after.

Frequently, SV will be a middle process, smoke-sous vide-sear. That’s two opportunities to season. You just cannot adjust seasoning while in the bag, and really, you can’t penetrate flavor in the bag anyway. But then again, marinades don’t really penetrate meat, and neither do rubs.

Okay, @LeCheffre, that does it. You’re coming to my house, to cook! :grin:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #23

Down in Austin, John GL, aka The Alcoholian, is your man, Darren. He’s one of my mentors in SV.

Can’t link his web page, because it won’t open on my work comp.

(Sophie) #24

Love your little carnivore! :heart_eyes::smile:

(Sophie) #25

@CandyLindTX SV is a big learning curve but once you get the hang of it, it’s an amazing device and worth every penny to add one to your kitchen arsenal. I keep a page of cooking notes: what I cooked, temp, how long, whether it was worth a [spoiler]shit[/spoiler], how I finished it and any ideas about the next cook on all the meats or canning that I’ve done in my SV. Makes life a lot simpler to reference back instead of always searching temps/times anew. It also gives you a clear idea of what you like or don’t. Have fun and keep us posted on your experiments! :+1:

Hey, Thanks for that! :+1:

(Candy Lind) #27

We need to have a meet-up of people who frequent this forum! I know there are plenty of keto folks around here, but I tried going to a meet-up I read about, and I either had the date/time wrong or something, because I never found anyone. :cry:

(Sophie) #28

You know they have Ketofest but that’s too far north for me and I’m sure I’m not the only one. We need to have a southern version in a convenient mid-south location for all of us in the balmy climes!

(Candy Lind) #29

Actually, I was talking about Austin, since apparently @dlc96_darren is here and I know of a few others. But I say, we all should look for support and camaraderie! :muscle:

Actually, Candy, I’m in Amarillo, but I have In-Laws in Austin!

(Candy Lind) #31

And … DRUM ROLL, PLEASE!

ER-MEH-GURD!! Absolutely miraculous. Seared in a mix of bacon nectar & butter. :heart_eyes: Not bad for my first try!

What did you Keto today? Part Deux!