I think I’m out, y’all

(TJ Borden) #21

No, it’s not.

(TJ Borden) #22

I can’t, but again, I’m not advocating naturopathy. I’m just saying I’m niot going to summarily dismiss it based on the medical community saying it’s bull shit, because they say the same thing about keto, and I know they’re wrong about that. I agree with the “show me the science”, and if I ever do find myself at a naturopath, that’s exactly what I’ll ask. In the meantime, I now find myself having to ask my doctor the very same question.

You are correct, that many doctors reccomend diet and exercise, but ask them if it will reverse diabetes, and they’ll tell you no, it’s a progressive disease. Diet and exercise is just a “management” strategy, which of course we know their recommended “diet” won’t do anything but allow the disease progress.

(Allan L) #23

This is exactly what I have recommended to a few of my friends who have battled with, and quit, Keto. Good luck.

(Stan Brooks) #24

Hmmm how manying things have been cure by air :thinking:

Who is asking you to? I am stating that there is not evidence to back up their beliefs.

And I agree with them. Left untreated it only gets worst. I am managing it by mostly diet, some exercise and even a little medicine. Remission is not a cure.

(jilliangordona) #25

Yes, I checked them myself, and brought the labs to the naturopath

(jilliangordona) #26

Seeing a naturopath is part of my overall healthcare, which includes a traditional doctor.

I am sure there are many naturopaths out there promoting things that are not true. However, when I was dealing with insulin resistance as a 13 year old and being told that lean cuisines and eating six times a day was the solution from a well regarded OB/GYN, that really isn’t much different than if my naturopath had told me I needed to give up saturated fats. Both can be wrong.

(jilliangordona) #27

I’m sure my numbers weren’t as bad as others, but I was insulin resistant since the age of 13 (25 now) and hadnt done anything productive about it until keto. I also weight 176 on a 5”5’ frame, with only a 10lbs weight loss this long into keto. I am not looking to be a skinny mini, just remove the abdominal fat I am carrying for better health outcomes.

I agree with you in that keto can mean different things! I am going to try and play with my carb numbers.

(Allie) #28

@jilliangordona I wish you well, wherever you end up :sparkling_heart:

(Richard Morris) split this topic #29

7 posts were split to a new topic: [What studies have shown evidence in support of a ketogenic diet

What studies have shown evidence in sup[port of a ketogenic diet
(jilliangordona) #30

Hi all! I’d be happy to check in with you in a few weeks. I won’t be measuring my carbs or calories, I have never been great at it and enjoy intuitive eating.

I will be adding some gluten free grains and reducing my fasting window to 12/12. She also gave me higher quality magnesium, sensitol, a multivitamin, and asked me to up my Vit D from 5,000 IUs to 10,000 IUs.

(Richard Morris) #31

best of luck @jilliangordona - let us know how it goes cos once many of us who are trying to unwind diabetes manage to … we might need to know what to do for a second act. Personally I have way more energy now on keto that I had before keto … but that was in the context of major derangement.

(Tom Seest) #32

My wife has had similar results. She has lost weight (not her goal), reasonably straightened out her thyroid numbers (part of her goal), and in general feels ok.

But, she’s never gotten the energy bump that most of us feel when going Keto. She’s experimenting now with various food allergies via elimination, and hopes to find a solution.

But, so far, she doesn’t have a huge increase in energy. I’m hoping she figures it out, and I hope you figure out your situation as well.

(What The Fast?!) #33

Good luck with Paleo. I’m really interested in the results you get, so please keep me in the loop! As you know, I’ve been keto for almost a year with a similar story (tried ZC, keep up with electrolytes, etc). I don’t have energy issues, but keto alone doesn’t work for dropping weight for me. I’m going the path of aggressive fasting and will continue until I get to 1 full year keto. At that point, I’ll reassess. I don’t think I’m insulin resistant though, so a bit of s difference.

Either way, I’m really interested in your experience and wish you the best!

(jilliangordona) #34

My doc thinks it could be vit D, I was low and started supplementing months ago, but she said some women need to really hyperdose to get back to normal. We shall see what happens, best of luck to your wife as well! Has she had blood work done for vit D?

(Tom Seest) #35

She has not. Unfortunately, with my heart problems, we haven’t tested her as frequently as we would like. We did have her D level taken about a year ago, and she was fine. And, she supplements 5000IU per day, so she’s probably fine. She also is into fermented foods, and makes her own ferments.

We’ll see what happens. But, she still is in search of the answers.

Personally, she’s a light sleeper, and may have Apnia. I’d like to get her tested, but can’t afford any of the testing until later in the year.

(Shayne) #36

My functional medicine doctor offers an at home sleep study kit. I did it once - but must have gotten a faulty unit (or I screwed it up) because it didn’t have any data on it when I turned it in. I’m going to pick up another on Monday and try again. Through him, it was $100.

Sorry to hear of your continuing struggles, I hope some aspects of paleo help you feel better. I used to eat vegan and while I didn’t find it sustainable I did feel excellent most of the time. Especially when I ate a lot of fruit. Blasphemy on this forum I know but you can feel really good on a lot of diets for a finite amount of time I’ve found. In your case, I wonder if you’d be able to get one of the high-profile keto doctors to take a look. I think the keto community could learn a lot from your experience and it would be refreshing to know the reasons you’ve struggled despite following all the rules and experimenting. Either way, good luck. Hope you stop in here from time to time.

(Michelle) #38

Sounds like a great plan!! Please let us know how it goes and if you get your energy back.

(jilliangordona) #39

I’d certainly be up for a keto expert to take a look at my case, I considered looked into IDM but its just not something I can afford right now.

I am hoping I can figure something out. I know I am not the only one struggling, and after seeing all of the “easy” success keto brings to those more metabolically deranged than me, it is incredibly frustrating. I KNOW keto is a great way to fuel your body, and I so so on board. I just don’t get my why body isn’t!

I did not expect so many of you to be interested in jumping ship… I will be sure to continue to post updates.

I ate a small amount of overnight oats mixed with chia seeds and it felt SO weird after avoiding carbs for so long. Just like changing to keto… changing back will take some getting used to!

Good luck with everything Jillian. Hope you find the fix you’re looking for. Will look forward to hearing of your progress.