I think I figured out the sweets aspect for keto

I think this hits the nail on the head. When a person uses sugar to get a dopamine hit, it’s basically functioning the same as other chemicals we use to get dopamine hits, including drugs and alcohol. I don’t think everyone does this, but I think it’s fair to say that people who do are more addicted than not.

If you stick to pretty much no sugar and under 20 carbs your sweet tooth will change over time trust me I know I am a real Sweet tooth. I like lilys coconut chocolate and I just take a piece or two at night if I really want somthing.
I transitioned using sugar free jolly rancher hard candies and sugar free lifesaver candies to. Yeah they have artificial sweetener but it didn’t bother me and it satisfied my sweet tooth in emergencies.
Lilly’s Is stevia sweetened and comes in many different dark chocolate flavors, Whole foods.

(Brian) #43

It will change. It may not go away completely.

I know my tastes have changed. I still like sweet things. But I don’t eat them in the quantities I used to, not even the keto sweets. Where I used to eat 8 - 10 servings of sugar-laden goodies and only quit because my stomach was so full I couldn’t stuff any more in there, I’m quite contented with just a tiny serving, especially of the real thing, (rare), which is much sweeter than a keto treat, or occasional keto treats which I can leave alone without much of a thought or enjoy when I desire.

I’m thankful not to have the addiction spoken of in this thread. I’m thankful that if I have a little of the real thing from time to time, it’s a non-event. I’m thankful that when I have the real thing, it’s “too sweet” and I just don’t want to overeat it or have it again soon. (That’s a change that came from eating keto for this long.)

One person might have a glass of wine on a special occasion and have no issue with falling into a habit of drinking excessively. Another person might never be able to touch that glass of wine without a cascade of another and another and another leading to a drunken stupor. Neither is wrong, the first who has a glass with their special occasion, nor the person who has none knowing where it will lead.

Enjoy what you are safely able to enjoy. Avoid that which causes trouble. Stuff in the middle, be cautious.

:slight_smile:

Ha ha, nice one.

I took some boxes of unopened cereal to work, I felt bad and guilty about giving toxin to whoever picked it up. But I also feel bad about throwing food away. I figured they’d be buying it anyway so I justified myself (sort of).

I like the Montezuma Absolute dark chocolate bar from Trader Joe’s. It’s hard to overeat because it’s pretty rich. I’ve recently found that putting a small amount of Madagascar Vanilla Bean ghee by 4th & Heart on a couple of those chocolate squares to be a very nice end to a meal!