I tested my blood glucose

(Brian Lavallee) #1

So, I’m not diabetic, but I decided to test my blood glucose after a 19 hour fast and it was 66. I know it’s not too high, but is it too low?

I’ve seen one person claim theirs is often very low on keto, without any adverse reaction. They said the lowest they’d seen was 35.

Before keto, as a T2 diabetic, if I was as low as 66, I’d be light headed and feeling like I had butterflies in my stomach. But I’ve wondered if a low blood sugar makes much difference on keto, since glucose is no longer the primary fuel of the body?

A related video, strictly anecdotal:

Read through some of the comments. A lot of people claiming very low blood sugars.

I’m not a doctor and I’m sure there are many personal health factors that determine if that’s too low for you or not.

I’d be curious what it was before the fast. I don’t think it’s too low, especially at the end of your fast as it was probably several points higher in the morning and afternoon.

(Brian Lavallee) #5

That’s a good question. I may need to test it a fee timed and see what the pattern is like. I wish I could test my ketones to see how they were

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #6

Why not get a meter for ketones?
The KetoMojo it’s one that a lot of people use.

As far as if you’re glucose is “too” low, you’ll have to go based on symptoms. If you are overly tired, shaky, “foggy-headed” or have any of the classic hypo symptoms, than you should do something about it.

For me, personally, I’ve gotten into the low 40s without having any adverse effects. Mind you, I did have high ketones levels (4 and 5) to compensate.

I highly recommend testing over the course of the day (on a few different days) to establish a pattern. And, also testing during your fast.

Most days I can get into the low 70s or high 60s at the 24hr fast mark.

*I am not a doctor, not can I give medical advice

(Allie) #7

As long as you feel good there’s no problem. Mine has been as low as the 40s before and I’ve been good.

(Nickie) #8

I’m T2 diet controlled and mine has gotten as low as 52 on a 7 day fast and I felt fine. Megan Ramos talks about how hypoglycemia is a feeling and not a number.

(Jane) #9

I’ve gotten into the mid 50’s after fasting a couple of days and felt fine. My ketones were very high so maybe why I felt ok.

I know what low blood sugar feels like - shaky, sweating, light-headed. Never get that eating keto no matter how low my glucose drops.

(Brian Lavallee) #10

Thank you all. I was asymptomatic and had no post fasting issues, so I won’t worry too much. Thank you for all your advice and knowledge sharing.

Not after a fast like that no