I really need help

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #21

Maybe you don’t have useful hunger and satiety signals. I don’t. It’s all well and good to ‘eat when you’re hungry stop when you’re not’ - as many here will tell you and say that’s what they do. Unless those signals are haywire in which case you have to find something else that works. I count and measure everything I eat and gauge my efforts on whether I maintain my weight and BF%. What I’m doing works for me - I’ve maintained the same weight and BF% for nearly 4 1/2 years so far. The same weight and BF% as at the age of 18 and I’m now 76. The ‘truth is out there’ - you just have to find it. And the search is well worth the effort.

(BuckRimfire) #22

Wow, that’s a pretty tight calibration, there! :smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

Everybody’s different; every body’s different. :grin:

(BuckRimfire) #24

Would still like to see your blood test results

(Tad Sampson) #25
Component Your Value Standard Range Flag
Cholesterol 186 mg/dL 108 - 199 mg/dL
Triglyceride 82 mg/dL 26 - 149 mg/dL
Fasting? 12
Chol/HDL Ratio 4.1 0.0 - 5.0
HDL 45 mg/dL 40 - 125 mg/dL
LDL 125 mg/dL 0 - 99 mg/dL

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

Nice! Trig/HDL = 1.82. Excellent

(Joanne) #27

I have been listening to some fasting podcasts (Gin Stevens and Graeme Curry) where they talk about “appetite correction” with clean fasting. Apparently, it takes time but it does happen for many people, particularly those who have had problems with food addiction.

(Michael) #28

I have used a Dexcom 6 once recently, and will be putting my second 10 day stint on shortly. I found it to be very good. Apparently Peter Attia says it is the only brand worth getting, and he used one consistently for over 3 years straight. Regardless, the dexcom does allow pinprick calibrations. The first 3 days I checked they were exactly the same, so I stopped checking. After day 6 or so my readings seemed high, but instead of calibrating with a finger prick, I ignored it for a day and then the following day when they were higher I checked and recalibrated by quite a bit. Net scoop, it is very good, but you should calibrate at least once a day to keep it precise.

re: health and weight loss. I have little advice other than repeating a few of the excellent responses you already received. What is the portion size on “meat” (8?, 12?, 16? 24? oz) and some other foods in your list?

(Tad Sampson) #29

I don’t use any size for my meat. If I am still hungry I will get another one. It is all of satiation.
I am trying to follow the advice from Dr. Cywes the CarbAddictionDoc. I have a doctor appointment with him on Feb/2022.

I also use fasting to reset my body. Fasting does not slow your metabolism. It is simple a ketogenic diet is a way of eating that mimics the effects of fasting. Fasting gets you into ketosis because the lack of food and it is a normal process for the body. Keto forces you into ketosis because the lack of insulin and the amount of fat (This is in a very summarize way to explain it).

Fasting differs from calorie restrictions because the absence of food lowers the insulin and you get into ketosis and autophagy , the calorie restrictions provides food and keeps the insulin levels so you never reach ketosis, nor autophagy. That slows your metabolism, not the fasting.

It is suggested that fasting in a regular fashion is beneficial for your health due to the autophagy. Fasting is not starvation. The longest record of fasting is 382 days, and that person shrank from 456 to 180 pounds under Doctors supervision.

(Michael) #30

I think you may be preaching to the choir here. Here is the thing. Since you do not count calories (which is fine if it works for you), how can anyone help you determine if you are calorie deficient (and you came asking for help). If you eat OMAD, you should be eating at least 2000 calories (or whatever weight depending) in that meal. MOST people are satiated before eating a full days calories, and over time reduce their calories as their satiety point falls. When this happens, they of course start becoming calorie deficient through fasting (not directly but indirectly as they do not feast enough). While that may be what is happening to you, I cannot tell from your responses. I think that is what people are referring to in this thread…are you eating an average of XXX when feasting to keep your metabolism up when you fast.

Small point, but if you are only doing short fasts like you are, sure, you metabolism does not slow (in fact it increases for a 1-3 days depending), but it absolutely slows for a medium to long fast.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

There is some evidence to suggest that appetite actually increases as fat is shed, since there is no longer a store of excess fat from which to draw.

Of course, our caloric requirement may drop a bit, since we need a bit less muscle to carry around our reduced bulk. On the other hand, the adipose tissue may act more brown than white (metabolic uncoupling), thus using more energy and generating heat, instead of using just enough energy for its metabolic needs.

(Tad Sampson) #32

I don’t count calories nor i measure by calories. I am not trying to preach or anything like that. I also tell you what i am doing and what i believe. Some posts above suggested that i will starve to death if i continue fasting.that is why i mention fasting in my last post. There are many questions in previous posts and i try to answer many of them at once. I won’t do that anymore, it looked l like i was preaching but i was answering or commenting a previous post.

For fasting and calories i try to follow Dr. Fung. If you don’t it is fine. I am only telling you what I do. One interview from him made sense to me and that is what i do: https://youtu.be/XhPwjmbkgDs
Look at 15 minutes, about fasting and calories. I am not trying to convince you,just show you why i do it.

Also, Dr Ciwes promotes something called eating sequentially. That helps with satiate feeling.

He says don’t put anything in your plate,only what you are eating at that moment. If you have brocoli only grab one, finish it, and if you want more grab another. This helps me with the portions. When i was a kid i was thought to eat everything in my plate, it didnt matter is it was a lot or not enough.that was what i was going to eat. I have never had snacks in my life because of that. The problem was that my plate was super full.

I am eating less than before,but i am not starving, i compare what i eat with my son who is slim and eats normal. Before that i eat twice or more than him. Nowdays i eat similar at him.

(Tad Sampson) #33

Paul, i still have plenty of fat to lose so my body has enough fast to eat when i fast. Probably it isat least 100 pounds of fat in my body. .

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #34

I think you are referring to my post above. If so, you misconstrue what I said. I responded specifically to your question fasting all the time Why not?

Fasting all the time is just another way to say stop eating. You must eat eventually or you will starve, no matter how many pounds of body fat you burn through first. Fasting intermittently can be part of a weight loss program or even a long term maintenance program. You are not currently fasting all the time. You are fasting intermittently and eating when you’re not. But that is not what you asked - all the time means no eating - ever. I specifically responded to that.

The person you refer to as “longest record of fasting” started to eat again on day 383. Even Jason Fung does not tell anyone to stop eating forever. Now if you’re really asking could you / should you fast continuously for 100 or more days that’s a different question - and I suggest you direct it to Jason Fung first chance you get.

I agree. What he described is similar to what I eat and I’m female and much smaller. And I’ve even wondered for myself if perhaps I’m under-doing it (I also have stalled to some degree). I’d have to agree with the previous suggestion that he just eat without fasting for a month or two to reassure his system that, nope! No famine around here, folks! Yes, be careful what he eats in terms of specific foods and macro ratios, but in terms of quantities? Whatever appeals to him!
OP, best of luck.

(Tad Sampson) #36

That is a sample of what I eat. If I still hungry they I pick another piece. Those are 2 different nights.
I picked 2 more pieces of steak and I didn’t eat much of the vegetable.

I also had the dessert that I mentioned before.

Sometimes, I add some eggs to the meal. I drink only water while I eat and coffee with heavy cream with the dessert

(Tad Sampson) #37

Just to make it clear, this is what I believe:

Fasting all the time is OMAD or 2 times a day.
Fasting all the time is about every 3 months, I will fast for 3-5 days. That helps me control my sugar, it resets it.

My dawn phenomenon last all day, it does not lower until I eat. I don’t produce much ketones.
Sometimes, it is ok, and I have normal sugar in those seldom good days. (below 100 all day).

That is what I said the freestyle libre is does not work. I stopped using it. It gave me a false sense of security. It showed that I was on 70 every day, no dawn phenomenon ever. So, I was happy.
The reality is I have a lot of work to do.
Yesterday, I woke up with 112 glucose (after the chicken meal, I ate another portion that night). It remained above 100 (I didn’t eat anything until 1 PM).

Let me be clear. My problem is that I don’t loose weight. I know it will happen eventually.
My concern is that my weight is so stable that I cannot explain it.

1. When I was diagnosed with Diabetes, I ate much more (including bread, rice, potatoes, plus meat and pepsi). I lost like 30 pounds when I had the infection. My weight settle at 246 - 254. (Imagine the pictures above plus rice, potatoes, lot of slices. It was a lot of food.)

2. I started 36 hour fasting eating almost the same (bread, rice, potatoes, etc). The fasting last for 3 months. (eating every other day). No weight lost. Same weight.

3. I removed most carbs, leaving only bread (it has my vice of choice. I loved bread, not anymore). I switched to OMAD for 3 months I noticed my hunger diminished and I ate less. Same weight.

4. I removed almost all the carbs, maybe 20 gms left, if any. I ate more carnivore nowadays. So for 3 months my weight remained the same.

My problem is I changed what I eat, I changed the amount, I changed the frequency, etc. The weight still the same. My body has shrank. So, many might think you have lost fat and made muscle. That is not the case. That works if you really if you make a huge improvement lifting a lot of weight and increasing your muscles. That has not happen to me.
So the other option is that I lost muscle and gain fat. I don’t think so, because my body has changed a lot.
When this started my pants were size 46 going to 48. I am at tight 38.
My shirts were from 3XB to 1Xb My fat is concentrated now on my chest, breast and back. I lost almost all the fat on my belly.
So, something has been lost. I don’t know why the weight remains the same.
I believe it is not what you eat (amount). It is what your hormones tell your body to do.

I am switching doctors, my current MD told me they cannot order a lab for insulin, or anything to check if I am improving my insulin resistance. I asked why? She said they cannot treat it. So they cannot charge my insurance. She was fired in that moment.

Believe me, I am not starving myself. I don’t indulge like I did before. I eat how a normal person will eat.
I don’t snack at all, I never learned it. so I will never accept or eat anything between meals. If I am really hungry and the meal won’t be ready soon, then I open smoked oysters or sardine.

It is not like I lost weight and I hit a plateau. I have not lost any weight. That is my concern.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #38

Another possibility is that your bones are stronger, because their density has increased.

The usual explanation is that one has gained lean mass while losing fat mass. If you are now able to wear a smaller clothing size, then the ketogenic diet is working as advertised. Put it this way: would you rather lose fifty pounds and still look the same, or not lose any weight, but look fifty pounds thinner?

(Tad Sampson) #39

Paul,

Believe me, it is an amazing feeling wear small clothing.
One reasoning to want loose weight is the underlying medical conditions. I have high blood pressure, that I know it will go down when my insulin gets down. The dawn effect causes my insulin to raise and it causes all the metabolic issues.
So, This is another of my believes. No fat then my metabolic issue will be gone.

I don’t take medicines, because they don’t work. They causes more issues that benefit.
My wife had a transient stroke and the doctor (The one I fired) gave her a full load of medications. She eventually was reducing the medications with the doctor supervision. (That was a huge war with the doctor).
Finally she remained with one medication for blood pressure. She ate the same as me, and her blood glucose and A1C were high. So, if the insulin remains high then her blood pressure will be high.
Finally, after a lot of considerations we made a decision and she is out of the blood pressure medication. Her glucose went down after 1-2 weeks and her blood pressure started going down.
She is loosing weight, size as well. She eats the same (different amount) as me.

The body is healing by itself.

I continue with high blood pressure, because my high insulin. I strongely believe when all the fat is gone, then high insulin will follow and my blood pressure will correct itself.
I have normal blood pressure during the day (I see from time to time 120s/low 70s), It goes up after I have dinner and during the night (152/78). That is a flag for heart/stroke issues, having hyper tension during the nights.

(Bob M) #40

The dawn effect is usually blood sugar. I’m not sure actually what happens to insulin, having never taken a test at night and then one in the morning.

If you think the dawn effect is bad, there’s some evidence things like apple cider vinegar and cheese can reduce the level. See this:

They also imply that vinegar taken with meals helps too. If you can handle a salad, maybe a high vinegar salad for dinner, and AC vinegar + cheese before bed?

I have been using one pill of this at night:

This seems to have reduced my morning blood pressure, too. Though I’m still analyzing it (taking Mg sometimes, and seeing what happens to blood pressure).

Edit: looking through my data, I’m not sure how much the Mg helps with blood pressure. Though it does make me sleep better.