I only needed to do this for a week?

There is a new diet called keto out. It’s where you lower your carbs for a week and fix some health problems. After a week it quits working. When I was on Atkins 25 years ago they were waiting on long term studies, apparently they have still not got around to those.

LOL love this part of the talk…Long-term clinical studies in humans are still necessary to validate the anecdotal claims of keto’s health benefits.

they don’t know crap from a few weeks of rat studies.

omg

LOL but hey it could lead to more LONG TERM true human research etc.

I take this junk with a big grain of salt cause all the misinfo put out there is staggering based on the littlest science with the biggest darn claims.
ugh

Ask a 20 yr keto veteran how they are doing.
Ask a 20 yr zero carb veteran how they are faring long term.

studies…studies…and more useless studies.

I think me hates this little studies they throw out with abandon now more and more :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I like the hypothesis that you might be able to eat keto for a week and help diabetes and inflammation but stay on it longer than that and you are putting yourself at risk for diabetes. It truly is a miracle diet if you can fix stuff in a week.

“Who wants to be on a diet forever”? Personally I want to be healthy and if a week of keto gives me a six pound weight loss and I need to lose 50, then I guess I’m just out of luck…

Diet can heal a lot, but one week vs years of wrong eating…? I know some people believe everything but it’s still crazy.

Me if the diet is enjoyable and healthy… If not, I don’t do it for a week either… It’s more like a lifestyle for me but diet is included. Not eating when hungry not.

I couldn’t fully and thoroughly read the article, the clearly wrong things annoyed me. It’s usually not 1% carbs and no, keto doesn’t “trick” the body to burn fat. My body always used pretty much fat for fuel, it’s somewhat different on keto, of course but it was almost never my bodyfat. It’s a nice diet and lifestyle for the ones who feel good on it (no diet is really good for everyone without exceptions and keto can be done very differently too) but it’s still not magic. And it’s not really a trick, it’s natural to use fat when there isn’t much else :slight_smile:

I don’t really care about such general things even if they would be believable. I care about my own ideal lifestyle when I choose what to eat. And the response of my body was very clear. It’s the case for zillion people. A week? Okay, I used even days when I wasn’t ready for more and they were useful but the real big changes came months later. Just for many other people. The first week(s, even months) are even hard for most people! Many good things need time.

And mice? I don’t think my behaviour mimics the one of lab mice. My body works differently from many people… Let alone mice. And I choose my food, poor mice had no such options and they have a different relationship with carbs… I get it, it’s easy to experiment with mice but we shouldn’t be certain humans are the same as they are far from that. (But if there would be experiments with humans without enough options in a lab/prison environment, I still wouldn’t think it has much to do with me. And overeating is complex, it’s not just biology and chemistry. Many humans could overeat but find a way not to. And it often solves many problems.)

(Polly) #5

I suppose the time to worry is when you start scraping and chewing at the base of the skirting boards in the kitchen, when cats are scary and when a chunk of peanut butter smeared on a mousetrap looks like the next adventure.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

My bullshit meter just pinned.

I get tired of the propaganda. Why are they even studying mice on this thing when there has been over a half of century of data on human subjects? “Long Term” is the go to dirty word when they try to dispute the science behind it. The science doesn’t match the agenda, so let’s put a scare word in there…

(Bunny) #8

There are those gamma delta T-cells again? But I can see how it would/could work:

[1] Fasting as a Therapy in Neurological Disease: “…Indeed, chronicity can be harmful, regardless of a fed or fasted metabolic state (COMPARE TO [2]?)—for example, acute mTOR activation promotes muscle hypertrophy, whereas chronic activation produces atrophy [58–60], and intermittent AMPK activation enhances neuroplasticity, but sustained AMPK activation impairs it [61]. …” …More

Chronic? and Sustained?

[2] More Than a Week of Keto Might Not Be Good for You: “…In the study, researchers found that the positive and negative effects of the diet both relate to immune cells called gamma delta T-cells, tissue-protective cells that lower diabetes risk and inflammation.**…” “…But when the body is in this “starving-not-starving” mode (COMPARE TO [1]?), fat storage is also happening simultaneously with fat breakdown, the researchers found. When mice continue to eat the high-fat, low-carb diet beyond one week, Dixit said, they consume more fat than they can burn, and develop diabetes and obesity. …” …More

I think it may be in how good your metabolic switch is working, it may take longer than a week, for some people?

image link

The Theory:

Turn off the bile secretions (no dietary fat) and lower the insulin (reduce carbohydrate or calorie intake significantly) and any excess dietary glucose is channeled to be stored as muscle glycogen and the rest oxidized by the mitochondria surrounding lipid droplet (not stored as a lipid droplet) inside the adipose cells rather than to the liver as stored glycogen and your body continues to stay in ketosis?..

I know that is contrary to what many people want to believe but that is how it really works.

I just wonder if there is more to bile acid than meets the eye in the research, could it also be a hormone or precursor to activating other hormones?

Footnotes:

[1] “…bile acids may mimic the insulin action in regulating glucose metabolism by stimulating glycogen …” …More

[2] How to Follow Keto Without a Gallbladder

(Polly) #9

A week is a long time for a mouse . . .

(Bunny) #10

I agree!

Wonder what that would be in human time?

image link

(Marianne) #11

Funny - but true!

:blush:

(Karen) #12

Mice ≠ people

(Bunny) #13

We share more genomes with a mouse than any other creature on earth but it can give us a clue as to what may be going on in humans?

Haven’t you ever watched Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?

The Mice Own the Earth! …lol

I will just be glad when one of these “long term” studies can be done. It was 1825 when Jean Brillat-Savarin suggested that the solution to obesity was restricting all things containing starch or flour. Are they still waiting on someone that has tried to do that to come in for some blood work? You would think that we could get some of this “long term” outlook posted somewhere . Unless, those long term results don’t match what they hope they would. Lol

(Bob M) #15

If this is the study, it appears to be behind a paywall:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s42255-019-0160-6

With these mouse studies, you have to see what they are feeding them. Often, it’s complete garbage, like soybean oil.

(Bunny) #16

I think this article/research gives an astounding, re-sounding and reverberating message:

“Don’t eat too much fat on a ketogenic diet unless you need it to maintain your weight?”

When you look at all the research papers on the ketogenic diet and put them all together in a comprehensive order?

References:

[1] 70% calories of dietary fat does not equal 70% volume

(Karen) #17

:rofl::joy::rofl:

(Bunny) #18

I’m going to buy the paper and see?

When mice continue to eat the high-fat, low-carb diet beyond one week, Dixit said, they consume more fat than they can burn, and develop diabetes and obesity.

In other words, overeating causes diabetes and obesity?

Not sure about diabetes, but overeating sure could result in obesity. Regardless of the type of diet one is on.

(Bunny) #20

You were right?

”…10% protein and consists mostly of Primex (hydrogenated soybean oil). …”

What the heck is wrong with these scientist? How Stupid is that? (…a lot of note slipping and money changing hands?)

What a waste of time and money?

Thank gawd I didn’t buy it…lol