I never realized how much I like Kerrygold butter

(Rob) #41

I thought that too but the nutritional info for US and Euro butter is the same in fat content… still confused :roll_eyes:

(Stephanie Sablich) #42

Haha, okay; my post was both lighthearted and nonconfrontational, I thought. Of course, everyone is entitled to share their opinions, though you did state yours as fact.

Everyone has different purposes for visiting this forum, and for me, getting positive messages of encouragement and support is as important as the information and advice. I’ve noticed many threads in which you post a negative comment (your opinion or otherwise) and I’ve got to be honest, it brings me down. I’m just sharing my opinion :slight_smile: What you’re doing is clearly working for you- that’s awesome! I just don’t think it’s necessary to “rain on” someone’s parade all the time, as the saying goes. Your comments have certainly left me rather discouraged more than once, and even if I’m the only one, I hope that you wouldn’t want that to happen.

To each their own though; I certainly didn’t mean to upset you, and I was certainly not attempting to be confrontational or anything other than “chilled out.”

It’s a fact. I dont write labels but the USDA regulated 80% butterfat vs 80%+ on imports is the difference.

(Sophie) #44

We have a mute function that is very effective. It makes the person invisible and you never have to see another post by them unless someone quotes them specifically. It can also be used to mute whole threads. I use it sometimes on the threads where people whine about how they are “out” or “quitting” because they want/need stroking. It’s just too bad we can’t use something like that out in our face to face interactions. If it bugs you get rid of it.

(Brian) #45

Dang, I never had any idea there would be this much of a charge to such an innocent topic. :confused:

1. Every taster is different. We don’t all taste in quite the same way. What tastes good to someone may not taste good to someone else. What has no difference in taste to one may have significant differences in taste to another. That’s just the way we’re built. And to confound that even more, our own tastes can change over time. For 50 years, I didn’t like coffee, until I tried it and found out that, yes, I really do like coffee. (Fickle bunch, aren’t we?!)

2. There are different retailers and different prices in different parts of the country. In my particular area, the Kerrygold butter is NOT the most expensive butter on the shelf. Actually, it’s one of the cheaper ones. Maybe for someone somewhere else, it’s a more expensive option. For me, it’s not. So the arguments of it being SO expensive make no sense whatsoever here.

3. There are different batches of butter. Even in the Kerrygold line, different batches can have different flavors. I have noticed that some have a more warm, mellow flavor while others seem to have a more bland flavor. Same Kerrygold butter label. So if you’ve tried it once and established your opinion on that one taste test, it may or may not be representative of what other batches of the same stuff would be. That’s the nature of the beast on real products.

Honestly, I’m not gonna be up nights worried about whether anyone else likes Kerrygold or not. If you like it, great! If you buy it, great! If you like something else better, great! If you buy something else, great! I’m glad there are multiple products available for most of us that we can choose what we like best. I happen to like Kerrygold butter and it’s a good choice for ME. Sometimes I like it more than others. Sometimes not quite as much but it’s till good, TO ME. I occasionally end up buying something else but my taster points me back to the Kerrygold. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and their tastes, no argument with that.

Enjoy your butter… or not… wait around long enough and someone will be along to tell us they can’t eat butter and we’re all gonna die a slow, miserable, painful, and prolonged death if we continue to eat the stuff… (sigh)

(Stephanie Sablich) #46

Thanks for the heads up! Trying to figure out how to make that happen :slight_smile:

(Karen) #47

Please tell me how to mute. Thanks

K

(Rob) #48

Kerrygold, President (french), Land O Lakes, Challenge, Finlandia (Finnish) are all nutritionally identical from a fat content perspective - 80% and all claim the same ingredients - cream, salt.

Lurpak (Danish) is 82% fat, Anchor (cheap NZ) is maybe 81.5% so you are right in theory but not for KG.

(Brian) #49

I hear ya, Rob. But there seems to be something more to “taste” than we are able to define.

On another forum, we’ve had some knock-down-drag-out fights about the flavor of tomatoes. I have insisted that there is a difference in the flavor of a truly vine ripened tomato that’s been left on the vine to ripen as oppose to a tomato that’s been left on the vine just long enough to start to color and then picked early to “ripen” elsewhere. While I insist that I really can taste the difference, in drastic contrast, others have insisted that the two tomatoes are chemically identical and that their picked early tomato tastes just as good as my vine ripened one. Not to me. And I’ve been seriously belittled for my not believing the “science” that says they’re identical.

I know, butter is not tomatoes. But taste is one of those things that I suspect we know so little about, 500 years from now, our progeny will find it humorous how little we knew and how much we -thought- we knew. :wink:

:slight_smile:

(Sophie) #50

Well crap, I took it as a given that you could mute a member here. Apparently there is no function for that although I don’t know why not, since it’s a normal on most boards I’ve been on. I’ve wanted to mute a member or two here but never actually tried to do it.

If you want to mute a thread you just go down to the bottom where you see the tracking button, lower left, and select mute. The thread disappears. I think I’ll make a suggestion to add the ability to mute a member. :neutral_face:

Sorry, @Bellyman for derailing your yummy butter thread.

(Brian) #51

No worries at all, Sophie! Have a wonderful day!

:slight_smile:

(Stephanie Sablich) #52

Thanks for doing the research on this!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #53

You’re on something here.
You go to Italy, you taste the tomatoes. You come back, taste the same varietals of tomatoes, bought from farmer markets. They are blander here.
The small ones at the store are better, but even the heritage varietals have the volume turned down here.

I dunno if it’s extra ripening, soil depletion, genetics or what, but there’s definitely something up.

(Sophie) #54

@ssablich @Keto6468 I found the mute

It’s under your account/notifications at the bottom you’ll see muted. You should be able to plug in a member name there.

I’m not going to bother discussing this any further. You claim to be non-confrontational, which you weren’t. I never stated any of my opinions as fact, that was just your perception of my posts.

Don’t bother reading or responding to any of my posts if you find them to be “discouraging” or “bring you down” …your response to me in this thread definitely had that effect on me, which makes you kind of a hypocrite.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #56

Personal preference is personal. That’s the end of the story.
If you prefer Kerrygold, good.
If you prefer cheap butter, also good.
If you like Plugra or other european butters, great.
At the end of the day, you get what you like and others are free to go their way.
No right answers.

I got three bricks of KG at Costco. The bricks are not well suited for my butter dish, but split in half, work fine. They are a very pleasant shade of yellow, suggesting cows that eat feed rich in beta carotene or something else that would make their cream a bit yellow. that is suggestive of a happier, healthier cow, but suggestion is that.

I could go back to LOL, or Plugra or whatever. I think the Plugra is my favorite, but again, preference.