I never realized how much I like Kerrygold butter

(Rob) #21

So… what makes it European Style? Will that answer the question?

I have used Plugra etc. and find them great for cooking but less pleasant for eating, though I think much continental butter is ‘slightly salted’ rather than ‘normally’ salted so maybe its the salt? I don’t taste the unsalted so I don’t know about that.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #22

I suspect it has a bit of age on it.

(Troy) #23

Yes!
And the sticks were about .40 cents more😳
For the same amount

Btw…And tonights Fat bomb (4) tbsp of Kerry gold unsalted
Straight up!:wink:

I did a side by side taste comparison and found the KG to taste a bit better, but it’s definitely not worth the price difference in my opinion. Costco here sells 4lbs for 10 bucks and change while the KG was 8 bucks and change for 1lbs. You’d think the damn package was made of real gold.

But I’m also a penny pincher and refuse to buy grass fed anything when I can buy virtually the same thing for way less. I guess my tastebuds are used to being poor.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #25

It has a creamier texture and richer flavor than regular salted butter because it’s churned for a higher milk fat content. It’s a pure butter experience that raises the bar for baking. Available in individually wrapped sticks to keep butter tasting fresh longer.

That’s from their site.

(Chris) #26

Huge fan of Plugra. Massive difference between cultured butter and good old sweet cream butter

(Rob) #27

Still doesn’t compute for me :face_with_raised_eyebrow: since all butters I’ve looked up (Plugra, KG, LoL etc.) have substantively exactly the same nutritional info (11g of fat/tbsp) with unnoticeable differences in sodium. I could imagine that there could be other fats in it (there are if it is the ‘spreadable’ versions which are 60-80% butter fat) but all have the same ingredients. Pasteurized milk and salt… except Plugra which claims ‘Natural Flavors’ too… still confused (but don’t worry, it isn’t your job to solve it for me, though I do appreciate all the effort so far :ok_hand:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #28

So vs LOL salted, it’s a bit higher sat fat. So I think they are either using different cream or separating it a bit differently.

I couldn’t say, but before keto, it was better on my sourdoughs than regular LOL.

(Amanda Jakositz) #29

So I do not taste the difference but I choose k-gold because it seems better and looks better (better color). I had a similar situation where I ran out and grabbed the organic butter at the store. What is funny is my 11 year old who didn’t like that we switched to k-gold, noticed the difference right away when when I used the organic butter spread on her vegs - she hated the organic stuff and insisted we get the k-gold back. Ha, clearly better taste buds then mama.

(GINA ) #30

Kerrygold tastes like I remember butter tasting at my grandma’s (not home, at home there was magerine, blech) when I was a kid. Looks more like it too.

I feel like “over processed” it’s the hip and trendy thing to say when talking about the garbage Americans eat, but it doesn’t apply to everything. Like butter, for example. I’ve been to a couple local dairy farms & creameries and I watched how they make butter & I never saw any “over processing” going on.

(Brian) #32

I used to work on a dairy farm. And something came to mind. Spring time used to be a big deal for making sure the cows didn’t get out onto a pasture where the garlic was coming up, and that was common at a particular week or two in the spring. It was said that if they did get into that garlic, and they would eat it like candy if they could, it would give a taste to the milk that would cause it to be rejected by the coop that the sold it to. And when you’re talking about hundreds of cows and thousands of gallons of milk, it’s a big deal.

That tells me that what the cows eat really does affect the taste and maybe even the smell of the milk that they give. So the idea that what a cow eats will affect the qualities of the milk (and hence the butter) that she gives is not such a far-fetched idea at all.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #33

This goes far beyond butter. Feed, breed and husbandry practice make a ton of difference to the finished product on meat, dairy and eggs.

Yep. Eggs. http://news.backtotheroots.com/2016/09/14/what-different-egg-yolk-color-means/

(GINA ) #34

I actually did this for a year in high school.

https://youtu.be/bRrl2vDgJGk

For everyone who says they don’t see or taste the difference between regular butter and Kerrygold, you must be getting some high quality generic butter in your area. In the Seattle area regular butter is almost a white color with subtle flavors where as Kerrygold is probably 30 shades darker and has much better flavor.

One thing I have noticed is unsalted Kerrygold is a better option than the salted, it’s more pure (obviously) and tastes better when pink salt is added over using the pre-salted stuff. I made ghee out of unsalted Kerrygold a few weeks ago and it blows away any ghee I’ve have had by a longshot.

Another fun one to try is goat butter. It’s pricey but I’ve had it a few times and in some dishes it adds an interesting flavor.

(Karen) #36

Broad melt point.

https://joepastry.com/2014/firm-butter-greasy-butter/

Butters

I just like uncultured butter with fresher flavors of milk and cream, and a sharp melt point.

(Gail P) #37

Taste buds are different from one person to another, in physical form, so what you CAN taste differs from one person to another. No one butter is going to be “the best” for everybody!

My grandparents were small-scale dairy farmers and I didn’t like butter at all until after going keto.

The breed of cow also makes a difference in the taste, I expect. Enjoy the differences.

It has more butterfat. The USDA regulates American butter to 80%. European is slightly higher.

(Stephanie Sablich) #39

Hey there, Mr. Negativity. No way you could just be happy that someone else is happy? I think it’s okay for different things to work for different people, right?

Don’t get all confrontational with me. Chill out. I was just sharing my opinion, which I’m entitled to do.