I need the gainz!

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #1

how on EARTH do I make gains if I only eat once a day and even then it’s not even 1000 calories?
I fast for the rest of the time, only drinking water and espresso with a drop of cream, literally a drop. Though I probably drink 4-5 of those a day. Probably 100ml total of pouring cream.

Do I need to wait until I have reached my desired goal weight and then majorly increase my calories?
I’m confused how it works on OMAD.

Oh dear, you are basically doing calorie restriction. You need to eat more than 1000 calories a day, especially if you are fasting.

(Allie) #3

You reverse diet to increase your calories?

(Allan Misner) #4

You are going to have a hard time gaining muscle with OMAD. I’m kinda surprised you can put in a heavy lifting session with just 1000 calories. What time of day to you lift? How is your strength progression going?

Are you opposed to having an 8 hour eating window? You might be prioritizing weight loss, but you seem to be doing that at the cost of muscle. If you’re lifting heavy (breaking down muscle) and not feeding it, you’re losing muscle.

(Annalee Haley) #5

I ate 1000 kcal over yesterday and dropped 2.4 pounds. I keep it mixed up so my body doesn’t reset my BMR. Seems to work for me. I dropped my last stubborn pounds by upping fat and calories and restricting carbs even further than 20 G.

(Annalee Haley) #6

Oh, my norm has settled on two meals daily with a 6 hours feeding window as I just can’t squeeze in enough on OMAD. Prior to keto I was a grazer so I just can’t eat enough at one meal to maintain my BMR.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #7

I haven’t actually started working out again yet
I cancelled my crossfit membership yesterday cause I was a bit over it and hadn’t gone in months while I was waiting to get fat adapted
So I’m not exactly restricting calories and hurting myself right now, that’s why I am asking.
It’s not possible is it? Can you lose weight whilst gaining muscle?
Should I just do one and then the other?
I’m only asking out of curiousity, I’ve never tried to gain before so that whole side of the science is a bit lost on me at this point.
I guess my real question is, how beneficial is exercise and muscle building at this point, or shall I just continue with my weight loss journey until I reach my goal? I’ve already lost 22 pounds, weigh 70.7kg, so my weight loss will start to slow down as I near my goal.

You can lose fat while gaining muscle but as to whether or not the scale moves is a different story. Personally I’d start now if muscle gain is the goal - that way you at least maintain what muscle you have & it’s good for your metabolism in the long run.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #9

I think you are right there!

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #10

This article has been great - http://www.burnfatnotsugar.com/test/IntermittentFasting.pdf

I especially like this part ;

Spending time in the fasted state is actually a form of exercise—a METABOLIC WORKOUT.
3 of 14
In fact, there are a lot of parallels between exercise and fasting.
Exercise does all of the following great things:
• Decreases blood glucose.
• Decreases insulin level.
• Increases insulin sensitivity.
• Increases lipolysis and free fatty acid
mobilization.
• Increases cellular fat oxidation.
• Increases glucagon (the opposite of insulin).
• Increases growth hormone (the opposite of
insulin)

Good luck with it - I really enjoy weightlifting & have seen some pretty good results for a woman in her mid 40s :smile:

I want to start weight lifting again too. I used to go with my DH but alas I have stopped. If you need a workout buddy I’d be happy to lift with you. Though I’ll probably start at home with bodyweight exercises.

I got this app a while ago, I like that it starts off easy and gets progressively harder.

http://gorillaworkoutapp.com

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #13

I’ll be starting at home with body weight too
We have a communal gym and one at work too so eventually I will get back into proper weights
I’ve lost alot of my strength as I took a 10 week break from exercise in order to get adapted while my energy levels were low.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #14

Hey I’m 60, and I am seeing really great results! I have biceps.

Go you!

I had a neck injury that dragged on for a couple of years so while I maintained my lower body muscle mass with cycling/hiking I got quite scrawny above the waist. I’m pretty sure keto is the reason I found it relatively easy to regain.

I feel like I could totally win in a bar fight now :laughing:

(Jessika Nilsson) #16

I’d say you would have to either eat more meals and thereby increase your eating window, or learn to eat a huge meal with OMAD :wink:

As someone who strengthtrains a lot, and who dabbled with too much fasting in combination with intensive training, I learned that I really need to fuel my training right…

So if you want to see gainz, I’d recommend you make sure you eat enough fat & protein to make sure your body can recover and grow stronger from your workouts, and not just break it down :wink: Just a warning, you might even see the scale go up again when you build muscles (at the same time as measurements go down) :wink:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #17

Thanks for your response :slight_smile:

Good for you, weight training at home can be just as rewarding. I bought couple of 2 & 5 kg dumbbells from Kmart. I’ve outline what I do below and included instructional videos (not necessarily for you if you have done crossfit, I am sure you know what you are doing but for others that might be interested reading this thread).

My weight training schedule:

Alternate Days: Monday - Wednesday - Friday
Bicep Curls - 5 kg dumbbells
YouTube - how to

Shoulder Press - 5 kg dumbbells
YouTube - how to

Lateral Raises - 2 kg weights
YouTube - how to

Alternate Days: Tuesday - Thursday - Saturday
Squats 3 x 10
YouTube - how to

Lunges 3 x 10
YouTube - how to

Sit ups 3 x 10
YouTube - how to

Edited for clarity

(Empress of the Unexpected) #19

How many days a week?

Sorry I hadn’t made it clear. I alternate arms and legs six days a week, Sunday is a rest day as ordained by the God of IF as supplicated by the Goddess of Fat.