I need some motivation!

(Scott Rosenlof) #1

Hey Everyone,

I need some motivation. I’ve been doing Keto for 2 1/2 weeks now. I’m sure like many of you, this was a major change for me. Little back story. I’m 50, married, and with 4 kids. I am the only one doing Keto in my house. I’m started this not only for my weight, but to help with my high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and pre-diabetes.

I really need some motivation today. I’ve already lost 10 in the first 10 days. I have also been feeling more energy and seems like I’m thinking clearer. But now I’ve been flatlining for the last 4 days, no loss. Also, I am so grouchy. I have no patience with people and easily fire back when provoked. My kids were asking last night if I will always be like this. I’ve read that it’s irritability is normal at first but it’s so totally unlike me. Is this normal or am I going crazy?

Any advice is welcome.

Are you eating enough? Enough fat? How about salt? Are you supplementing?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #3

1- It’s normal to be a bit short of temper and grumpy during the conversion from glucose metabolism to metabolic flexibility and fat adaptation. You are 2.5 weeks into a process that may take 6 weeks or longer. Learn to count to ten, take some deep breaths and measure the anger in response to the stimulus.

2- It’s not unusual to dump a lot of weight very early. that’s the liver dumping some stored water and energy. Takes some electrolytes with it, so if you’re not already doing so, get a bit more salt, and maybe look into potassium and magnesium. Magnesium will help with the irritability as well.

3- It’s also not that unusual to flatten out the weight loss curve a bit and see little scale movement. You’re early in the game. Make sure you’re eating enough and getting adequate sodium, potassium and magnesium.

(Scott Rosenlof) #4

I’m not supplementing. I’ve been drinking salt water or Powerade Zero for electrolytes but I really don’t think that is enough.

Instead of Powerade, try this. It definitely worked for me:

(Scott Rosenlof) #6

Good advice. Thanks

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #7

I second the KetoAide. It has made a world of difference to my moods and leg cramps. I don’t think there is much benefit to Powerade Zero.

Keto helped me lose weight, beat cancer and walk the Camino. I am almost 6 years Keto, 4 years maintaining weight loss and coming up two years holding cancer at bay.

Here is my tribute to those Champions who have stood against the tide.