I miss my Bailey's French Vanilla coffe creamer

(Brian) #1

I was 52 years old when I discovered that I like coffee. I had gone all of that time thinking I didn’t like it and then, in a moment of greed… (breakfast at a favorite restaurant, apple juice was an extra $2, coffee was free)… I decided to try the coffee. And for most of this last year, I’ve enjoyed it, mostly with Bailey’s French Vanilla and maybe a dash of Chocolate Mocha just because. I turned 53 today.

Since going keto about 6 weeks ago, I still do coffee and a little heavy whipping cream is great. But I really miss the rich flavors of the Bailey’s.

Anybody have any keto-friendly coffee creamer recipes or ingredients that take the flavors in that direction? Believe it or not, that’s more of a temptation than any dessert I’ve seen in any store.

Just wondered. I can’t be the only one. (?)

Thanks!

(Damon Chance) #2

Hit up the spice section and look for some extracts of flavors you like. Mint, almond, vanilla… A few drops in your HWC should help.

I just turned 42 and started drinking coffee a few weeks ago… I’ve gone without sugar long enough that for the past two days I was able to drink it black.

(John) #3

I don’t do flavored coffee, but that is what the below is for, and I do use them as sweetners when I cook.

Both Torani and DaVinci have a sugar free French Vanilla and Irish Cream.

(Brian) #5

It looks like the sugar free versions of both Torani and DaVinci are sweetened with Splenda. I’m not sure if Splenda is one of the artificial sweeteners that’s on the nice list or whether it’s one that’s on the naughty list. I had thought more the later but could be mistaken.

(Brian) #6

Not that just plain HWC is all bad. It’s just that it’s kinda bland. I’ll have to look more in the spice aisle.

Just outta curiosity, would the vanilla extract that I’d be wanting be different than the vanilla extract that I had been using for my baking all along or the same thing? I know there are some liquid stevia extracts that I’ve seen in the grocery store just today if I need sweetener.

Have you ever tried the flavored stevia? There’s an english toffee flavor and a few othershttp://www.shopsweetleaf.com/new-category/?sort=featured&page=1

Isn’t Baileys just whiskey and cream? Surely you could ketofy with sweetener instead of sugar and stick to the cream and whiskey? Boom!

(Mike W.) #9

Adding butter and hitting with a milk frothier adds creaminess. I also like to add coconut oil for a little flavor.

Splenda’s fine. Some people only use the liquid form because the granular typically has maltodextrin in it which some people says spike their blood sugar. I use both and have both a blood glucose and ketone meter and have never seen a difference even when I’m pushing it. Same goes for Aspartame, people treat it like sweet death yet I’ve never seen any real evidence it’s bad. Now Ace-K, that stuff actually has shown it’s bad, and for me their a noticeable effect on how I feel (I get real tired after) and it’s very noticeable on my blood sugar so that one I stay away from as much as possible. Stevia doesn’t even remotely taste like sugar and has a weird after taste but when mixed with erythritol it’s not bad when it’s in other things, at least for me.

Cream, Whiskey, Vanilla, Chocolate and Coffee, and of course typically sugar. Used to make my own all the time and now I’m thinking of bringing that tradition back… with an alternative sweetener of course.

(Doug) #12

Happy Birthday, Bellyman. :slightly_smiling_face:

I like the idea of heavier-weight coffee, but just drink it black here. It was the first carb-cutting measure I took, leaving the sugar out, 12 or 15 years ago. Dispensed with the cream shortly thereafter. Love Baileys, though - just throw a bottle of it and bottles of vodka and coffee liqueur into a gallon jug with some ice - good times - though you’ll feel it the next day. :wink:

(Brian) #13

Thanks for all the replies! I don’t drink alcohol so I have never used a coffee creamer with whiskey. It’s always been marked non-alcoholic on the bottle. I checked. :wink:

Interesting about the splenda being mixed with maltodextrin, I did notice that when I looked at the granular stuff in the store yesterday.

I’ll have to play around with some stuff and see what I find that I like. I did try a little stevia in the coffee, and that was just a strange flavor. I tried some erythritol in my coffee, and it tasted OK but it took a lot of it to even taste the sweetness to any significance. I haven’t tried the flavored stevia, didn’t know there was such a thing. I have used a bit of stevia in my mint tea and that was fine, but that was only a hint of sweet, not trying to make it like restaurant sweet tea.

Again, thanks for the discussion. I’ll update if I find something interesting in my taste tests.

:smiley:

(Linda Culbreth) #14

Happy birthday!

A splash of vanilla extract and some cocoa powder? When you get it nailed down let us know. I’ve been using a lot of masala spice and cream in my coffee and also a lot of cinnamon, the tastes of fall lol. Next on the list is a pumpkin spice clone, anybody know where to start with that one?

(Roxanne) #16

I make this occasionally…maybe you could make it without the whiskey?

(Doug) #17

Your sweetener of choice.
1 teaspoon ( ~ 2 grams) pumpkin pie spice.
2 tablespoons ( ~ 25 grams) vanilla extract (I’m thinking this could be cut to 1 tbsp., or to taste.)
1/4 cup (~ 2 ounces or 60 grams) heavy cream.
Black pepper, just a little, to your taste, to give it some “bite” and complexity.

(KCKO, KCFO) #18

Amazon carries NOW brand flavored stevia, lots of flavors to choose from, mix it with some heavy whipping cream and you should be good to go.

I add vanilla extract to HWC with a dash of cinnamon (supposedly helps with BS) when I want to jazz up my coffee.

(KCKO, KCFO) #19

Just adding I used almond extract today instead of vanilla, kicked my coffee up a notch.