I’m nearly hysterical...actually I am hysterical

(Bonnie Byrd Griffith Figolah) #1

Went to cardiologist today and finally got to weigh on a medical scale.

I have not lost one ounce. I got my BP, temp and heart rate ( 109) and left I was so disgusted. Heart rate now is normal now I’ve had some time to burn off adrenaline with anger.

That’s the only doc I’ve got that even has a scale in their office and the one I have at home is analog which I can’t see. A physical therapist replaced MY digital which I could see.

I’m lost.

(Carl Keller) #2

But you have also not gained an ounce and certainly gained many health benefits that you can’t measure with a scale. Not gaining is half the battle. If you look around at random people, at least 60% of them are gaining every day while you are not.

(Robert C) #3

I am sorry to hear you are upset.

Do you have any idea what the problem might be?

It looks like you have been keto for 4 months so should be fat-adapted. If so, did you try to leverage that by lowering fat intake to allow your own body fat to be used or are you still doing fat to satiety?

Could you have started with a seriously slowed metabolism from a previous low calorie diet? Keto will still work but will (I think - not a doctor) take longer because it has to get your metabolism going.

Do you have stress or sleep issues?

Can you think of any other culprits? It is difficult to suggest a change without having some idea of the problem.

(Bonnie Byrd Griffith Figolah) #4

My Mojo meter just read 2.2. I can try backing off fat. Hell, I can quit eating…my appetite is gone anyway.

The only other thing I can think is the podcast i listened to from Cleveland Clinic in which the doctor said if you have sleep apnea you “will not lose the weight”. I have mixed sleep apnea. He was very strong on keto.
I have not always been over weight…I do not have an apnea build…i have always had apnea.

(Robert C) #5

In another topic you say you lost weight (yesterday).

Maybe something is wrong with one of the scales being used?

That will definitely move the scale and may be called for if you cannot identify why regular keto is not working. Extra weight can make existing apnea worse - the worse the apnea, with harder it is to make anything else work.

(Bonnie Byrd Griffith Figolah) #6

There is something wrong with the scale. First my cardiologist is the only doc I have that even has a scale in the building. Can’t imagine what that’s about.
Next, my scale is analog and I can’t read it. I had a digital scale but a genius physical therapist ordered a “better one” for me. I could read my digital scale. I also have severe peripheral neuropathy so it’s very hard to get balance so the scale will settle on a consistent weight. I had someone help me by reading the scale while I balanced on my walker. That was the last weight on that scale.
My apnea, is mild to moderate, and as I said I’ve had it even in my teens…I did a sleep study but I didn’t need the sleep study to know I had apnea. It’s untreated because I breath through my mouth and need a chin strap to keep my mouth shut. I also have TMJ so using the chin strap causes excruciating pain in my jaw. The sleep doctor, who by the way is Aspergian and the best doc I remember having in my life for any reason, told me I’d be ok without a Cpap because it’s mild and literature does not indicate at my stage there are any residual effects. He said if I wanted to treat it surgery may be best. However, that’s not going to stop the central apnea episodes during which my brain just does not send a signal to breath…like baby’s with SIDS. I also said, while I’m over weight, I do not have an apnea body build…short fat neck or upper chest. I carry my weight over my entire body…not predominantly in one area.

I’d like to mention something. Rather than say to people “I thought you said” perhaps it would be best to say “what do you think”. Otherwise it first statement could come across as the person was lying or exaggerating rather doing their best with a disability and an improper scale.

(Bonnie Byrd Griffith Figolah) #7

My cholesterol and triglycerides went up.

(Robert C) #8

Thanks - I’ll keep that in mind, sorry if I upset.

As far as CPAP - I too had trouble with both the chin strap with nasal pillows as well as anything like a full face mask.

What has worked out for me is medical tape (from Amazon “3M Transpore Surgical Tape”) along with tape remover (from Amazon “Medline Latex Free Individually Wrapped Adhesive Tape Remover Pads”).

I put on the tape and nasal pillows - sleep - pull off the tape (slowly) and wipe away the tape residue.
The tape is almost perfect - holds well enough but also pretty easily comes off.
It is medical grade and doesn’t (for me) cause any sort of skin irritation.

On Google it says some people tape their mouth shut just to force nasal breathing.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

It’s very hard, if one has come to the ketogenic diet solely for the purpose of weight loss, to appreciate it as a way of eating that primarily fosters metabolic health, with potential weight loss as a secondary effect. You may have to give up on this way of eating as a viable weight-loss strategy for yourself.

There are a number of issues involved: first is how much fat you have to lose; second is your diet history, and what effect previous diets may or may not have done to your metabolism; third is what you’ve been eating that may or not be keto; fourth is the state of your metabolism, level of insulin resistance, and so forth.

Another factor is the difference between how much you want to weigh, and what your body considers a healthy weight for you. And there is also the factor of body recomposition; it is not unknown for people (women particularly, but it can happen to men, as well) to gain lean-tissue weight (such as more muscle, added bone density, that sort of thing), even while losing adipose-tissue weight. It doesn’t help that the culture euphemistically talks about losing “weight,” when what we generally want to lose is just “fat.” (Most losses of muscle and bone density are not good, to put it mildly.) As a consequence, the message is to concentrate on the number showing on the scale instead of on how well our clothes are fitting us.

Dr. Phinney’s generic advice to persons in your position is first, to cut carbohydrate, and second, to increase fat. He says on no account to increase carbohydrate.

I’m sorry you’ve come to this pass, but the ketogenic diet is not for everybody. Perhaps you are one of those insulin-sensitive people who can eat all the carbohydrate they want, and who lose weight (and possibly even fat) by cutting calories and dietary fat?

This is happening to me currently. My pants are getting looser but my scale…well we aren’t on the best terms. :wink:. Personally I want to be smaller and healthier. The number on the scale is just that…a number. Being strong and healthy is more important in the big picture.

I’m guessing either due to weight or eyesight is the reason you can’t read it. Have you thought about using your phone camera to take a photo of the scale results so you can read it after you get off?

(btw I’m not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to give you a practical solution.)

Edit- Sorry, missed that part before posting my last comment. My solution might not be practical.

(Robert C) #12

I used to do exactly this with an analog scale, you can see exactly where the needle sits.
Also, leaves a nice automatic data trail.

I had a bit of a rough time for several months after I broke my shoulder. Low carbing as opposed to keto, went to doc after christmas and the first thing she said was Oh! you didnt gain over the holidays! She was tickled. I was MAD because I didnt lose!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #14

I’m eleven months and at maintenance. You have to be patient. This can take a long time.

(Bonnie Byrd Griffith Figolah) #15

That takes too much balance…I must hold onto the walker.
Eyesight not body mass prevents me from seeing the scale.

Site is slow and 99 other problems (but Eric's beard isn't one of them)
(Bunny) #16

This may be why your not losing actual body fat if you like exploring other possibilities?

Get your thyroid tested by an expert if possible?

I would not take a random routine thyroid level blood panel at face value as discussed by Amy Berger below?

If your T3 levels are truly high, then you are most likely leptin resistant and if this is indeed the case your body is not going to burn body fat until you take care of this first i.e. leptin reset diet, keto can actually make you gain weight if your just one little tiny bit over on a carb with a dysfunctional thyroid?

If your doing the ketogenic diet and the scale is not moving down (more than an 8 week stall) and your Dr. comes back and says “…why Miss Griffith your thyroid levels look so normal…” that’s when I would panic and head for the door (don’t forget to slam it) and look for an expert?

”…Patients with obstructive sleep apnea often experience symptoms including excessive daytime sleepiness, apathy, and feeling lethargic. In addition, hypothyroidism may contribute to obstructive sleep apnea through enlargement of the tongue (called macroglossia) or disruption of the muscles that control the upper airway. …” …More

KETO AND THYROID

Impossible to lose weight 😐
8 month weight loss Stall - HELP
Question about hashimoto's hypothyroidism and prolonged fasting

Hapygirl, how long would you say your scale isn’t “cooperating”? I have seen clothes looser but literally gain and lose the same 2 lbs for over a month! :frowning: Now everything has seem to have stopped, clothes are pretty much the same at this point, as is the scale (within the 2 lb range, no matter what I do) :frowning:

(Retta Stephenson) #18

I’ve had sleep apnea and used cpap for around 20 years. Also a mouth breather. Tried all the remedies out there. Settled on mouth taping. Then, spent the next few years trying all kinds of tape.

Some tore skin off; some caused a rash; almost all left a residue. Ugh…

THEN, around 5 months ago found the answer: 3M Kind Removal Silicone Tape. No lost skin, no rash, NO residue.

Lasts a long time (still have a lot left of that first roll), and when I showed it to my pulmonologist, he tore off a piece and tried it on his own mouth. He said while he officially cannot recommend patients to use tape on their mouth, he already had a LOT of patients that do it, and now he can recommend a good tape to them, LOL.

(Robert C) #19

Thanks @rettakat for the suggestion.

I found “3M Transpore Surgical Tape, 2” x 10 yds 6 Count" to be “good enough” and it is $16 for 60 yds. There is a cleaner specifically for the residue and no rash. You wouldn’t want to rip it off quickly though.

The tape you suggested is about $100 for 60 yds. I have to use a larger amount due to facial hair so that kind of cost difference is an issue.