I know "too much protein" isn't a thing on carnivore. Is "not enough fat" a thing on carnivore?

(Elizabeth ) #21

Here’s the problem with trackers, they assume you’re going to cut all the fat off the meat, and I never do so that I don’t trust those things :slight_smile:

(Elizabeth ) #22

Yep two to one by weight PKD is fat and maybe 40 to 50 grams of protein and the rest fat. Some people are experimenting with it for different reasons but it was designed to help treat very very sick people.

(Daisy) #23

Cronometer does a pretty good job of taking those things into account

(Peter) #24

The good ones like Cronometer have inputs for both.

(bulkbiker) #25

No you’d look at the protein by gram in the meat and then the fat and add extra fat if required so for example a 500g rib eye has

protein 16.8g per 100g so 84g per 500g
fat 21g per 100g so 105g per 500g
so you’d have to add 63g of fat from somewhere with minimal protein… and get a degree in maths to work out what to eat!

I think they usually add in animal fats like suet which have zero protein so the sums become easier.

I realized I can’t track if I start to eat a significant amount of meat (soon…). I have only smoked pork chuck now. The fat is distributed very unevenly and even the whole thing might be far from the data I use but I tend to eat the fattier parts and my SO the leaner parts. I will have no idea how much fat I will eat. It’s a good thing it isn’t really important though I like data and I am curious. But my beloved fatty pork is like eating at a relative, I just can’t track. I had this with salmon too when I could buy very cheap scraps, half of it was skin and fat, it was perfect, salmon filet isn’t fatty enough for me and it doesn’t even have the wonderful skin I can fry/bake into crispy wonderfulness. But the macros? No idea.

No, they don’t matter one bit truly on 100% carnivore eating. Throw them to the wayside. Any Keto Plan ratio thinking is not involved in 100% carnivore eating. People do find their preference, balance of what fat they need in their day just by eating.

Just to say, many people will try to control it all. Try to macro it all out on carnivore. It is something they like to do and they do it. They do it for personal reasons. I get that :wink: but it is not a standard ever.

Also on carnivore if we deviate mostly from the real crux of this plan…eating heavier fatty dense meats like beef, then we do have to make sure we get ‘added fats’ into our menu sometimes.

Not eating enough fat IS a thing on carnivore :slight_smile: but you don’t have to ratio out anything.

As we eat farther from the desired way…beef being the most desired dense best marbled fat protein to eat…we do have to be sure we are eating in a better fashion.

I see carnivores living on Deli meat. Beef sticks. Bacon. tuna and cheese, fast food burgers. A ton of eggs and no dense meats. It is carnivore but it isn’t even close to what meal of dense fatty meat will give you in terms of energy, balanced fat to meat intake, and more.

So just my thoughts on it all.

100% carnivore isn’t Keto by any means. It is a plan that has real value on eating fatty good meats. Stick to that and you will do wonderful, you walk away from those recommendations into deli meat land, or snacky type food land like pork rinds and more and you find you can start having some troubles with this way of eating. Not everyone, some can survive on that and do well, but most get themselves into trouble, blame carnivore and quit LOL go figure :slight_smile:

Yeah. This is not my first foray into carnivory. I ate a lot of bacon, salami, pepperoni, and dairy before.
This time I am eating much “cleaner.” I measure NOTHING, I calculate NOTHING, I eat mostly beef, some egg yolks, pork belly instead of bacon. Seafood may come and go but not much. I’ve had bacon and will still eat it but I prefer unprocessed belly. I limit my dairy intake and go very easy on the cheese. I feel so much better doing it this way.

I did the same. First time going into carnivore I did beef as instructed. I did so well…then I became a more ‘snacky’ eater of salami, pepperoni, taking the pepp. and cheese off pizza, and all those ‘wrong but not kinda wrong carnivore eating’ and I didn’t do so well. My focus walked off the big good meats and I floundered on it a bit.

Now I concentrate on big meat. Like you. Simple as that and when one does that one functions so much better on carnivore.

I do it now. I find a day of not so great eating can be a small burger, some link sausage, tuna and mayo, chicken breast and it just doesn’t cut it. I find real fast I must go back to just a big old chunk of fatty beef and when I do I thrive. I know I have to watch me on that climbing a bit off the truth of what carnivore eating should be. We all do it, thru experience we learn the best way to eat on this plan is the hard hitters, the best meats.

You are finding your way on this plan and what it takes for you and you are doing so well! Thru experience we all find the sweet spot, and I have to say on carnivore it ain’t snacky type stuff…it really is the big hitters. So agree.

What amazes me is that by limiting or removing the extra stuff (the processed meats, dairy) it has removed the boredom I felt before. Last time I did carnivore ground beef got boring fast…I just had ground beef for breakfast and it was awesome.
It seems counter-intuitive but eating mostly beef makes me want…mostly beef. :smile:

(bulkbiker) #31

I experienced much the same during my beef only January this year… ground steaks and roasts were all very appealing and I didn’t really miss anything else. Time for another month… Jan 2020 then maybe every other month…

You are so right and out in the carnivore world this is the general feeling out there :wink: Absolutely!

The more you wander into pork rinds, cheeses, deli meats and more you can easily get off track on carnivore and what the true beef benefits give us on this plan. Good post about that bob!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #33

If you are talking about eating more protein than fat by weight, don’t worry about it. Since fat contains a bit over twice the calories than the same weight of protein, you are still getting more fat than protein, if you calculate the calories involved. If you were getting more calories as protein than as fat, then you would indeed be in danger of rabbit starvation. An equal amount of fat and protein by weight (a ratio recommended by Dr. Ted Naiman) contains roughly 69% fat and 31% protein when calculated on the basis of caloric values. Even two times the protein by weight is still just under half the calories.

Pork rinds are weird… I practically craved them on keto. Now they are just not appealing at all.

HA HA

yea I tried and tried so many times to like pork rinds. I would buy a bag and eat 1 and throw them out since no one in the house ever like them.
I kept trying tho…different brands and more and one day I said…that sad experiment is over permanently LOL

I so hard wanted to love them to have crunch. Everyone would say the crunch was so great and I got jealous…now I realize the darn things are not really food according to the carnivore world. Just a snacky treat thing…so…easy to drop from my life and never try to eat those again.

Yes, the PKDiet goes by weight so when I have 70 grams of protein I have 140 fat. I struggled with that at first but I’ve gotten used to it now.

Despite my anchestors who had it as a staple, I never loved the pure fatty parts without meat. Crunchy skin is a bit better but only in tiny amounts especially now that I don’t eat it with plants.
It’s one thing I am curious about, what will happen with me, lots of fat and nothing that balances it out, will I be okay? I tried a few times, it was fine but I didn’t started my carnivore trials yet, I just have some fatty dishes without plants. But eating like that all the time? We will see.

(traci simpson) #38

Holy Hell this is so happening to me. Going on day 4 and I can’t take it anymore. I’m gonna buy some chicken breasts or something. I’ve been eating this ground beef and man I think I’ve lost weight due to being in the toilet.

(traci simpson) #39

I’ve discovered this bodega that sells them and they still have meat attached and they are by far the best chiccharones I’ve ever eaten. These are a treat and not a daily thing.

(Elizabeth ) #40

Just remember though that fat is your energy, I wouldn’t recommend chicken breasts to anybody :slight_smile: I would go with leaner steaks like sirloin or London broils. And as your body adapts and detoxes, if you find yourself hungry or not satiated, you’ll need to increase your fat again. Remember a real true carnivore ketogenic diet is going to run between 65 to 80 or 85% fat.it should be higher at the beginning as soon as you can tolerate it.