I have been having this pain while starting

(Ivy) #1

Ive been having very slight pain where my liver is, ever since starting keto 2 weeks ago.
This subsides when Im not in ketosis. I wonder what this means.

I want to still do keto, but this is noteworthy and something I want to find out the meaning of as its bothering me more and more. Anyone have an idea?

As for what I know about it, it is not enough, but enough to tell me I could ask for liver test.
What I found is from what someone posted :

I am guessing it has to do with glutathione (anti-oxidant for the liver) levels being low! :face_with_monocle: This happened to me too in the past!

What I do:

1. Ox bile
  2. Milk Thistle (silymarin)
  3. Bone broth (on empty stomach)
  4. Taurine
  5. Apple Cider Vinegar & Lemon Juice (1 Tbs. of each to a glass of water) every day.
  6. Lots of cruciferous veggies to flush out liver!

Someone else stated acetyl l cysteine helps. I do have that.

Please note I did not say I am proposing I do those things, I was asking for advice regarding someone’s post about theirs. There seems to be a couple posts saying I proposed this. I did not. Thank you.

I am seeing the doctor tomorrow afternoon. If anyone has any answers one here, that would help to go along with it. Seeing a doctor is common sense, of course Im taking that step.

(Polly) #2

If you are having upper right quadrant pain it could be caused by a number of things.

I would suggest you consider a trip to the doctor to rule out gallstones, pancreatitis, intestinal problems or other abdominal conditions before starting on a course of treatment such as you have proposed.

I learned the hard way to stay away from everything you’ve listed. The intake of anything other than whole foods and high quality natural vitamins will mess up with the body’s own natural way of dealing with it.

Lifelong physical activity was found to upregulate antioxidant systems.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S089158491400224X?via%3Dihub

(Central Florida Bob ) #4

If you search for “upper abdominal pain” with your favorite search engine, you’ll find diagrams like this one that divide the region into a grid and put possible or usual causes into the different grid sections.

abdominal-pain-map

Think of it as a guide but not perfect. A few months before I went Keto to stay in April of '15, I tried Dave Asprey’s (the Bulletproof guy’s) Brain Octane oil. I noticed I got an intense pain in the upper middle square of that Tic-Tac-Toe board. Did some reading online and found that pain wasn’t uncommon with the oil, so I cut back the dose (people said you’ll adapt to it easier) but never ordered any more of it.

About a year and a half later I woke up one morning with that intense pain in the same place again. No brain octane oil involved. Within a week, I had my dead and gangrenous gall bladder removed. You’ll notice that it says gallstones are a possible cause in that grid square. It took about 10 seconds for the doctor to decide it was probably my gall bladder. She put one finger on my abdomen, I doubled up in pain, and she said, “go to the Emergency Room”.

What I’m saying is that instead of following that plan, you might make note of the pain, and where it is. If it gets worse, see a doctor. Maybe I’m the exception, but I tend to think that all the money I’ve ever spent on supplements just got flushed down the toilet.

(Ivy) #5

Yeah youre talking about another part of the body.
Im talking about on one side of the sternum

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

Nothing you’ve described is necessarily ‘caused by keto’. What happens occasionally is that something which is obscured by elevated glucose and/or insulin gets noticed when you reduce glucose and insulin. For example, all the symptoms of misnamed ‘keto flu’ are due entirely to carb withdrawal and related responses. Relevant, as noted above by Bob, you may have sensitivity/allergy to some particular food you’ve started or increased consuming as part of your keto regimen. In addition, starting keto initiates a cascade of events that begin your journey towards your ‘normal’. Some times things that get in the way resist. With the pain you describe I agree that it’s a good idea to get yourself examined.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

These sorts of symptoms can be vague and untraceable for a while, before they finally become unambiguous. I had occasional random episodes of pain and nausea for about eighteen months before it became clear that my appendix was giving up.

Dr. Annette Bosworth’s Web site has some useful information about kidney and gall stones on a ketogenic diet. If I recall correctly, the problem is not that the diet causes such stones, it’s that it tends to start dissolving them, and then they shrink enough to move around and cause trouble. She has recommendations for how to cope, I believe.

(Ivy) #9

Is kindly introducing keto to my doctor, something I should be doing?

I wouldn’t mention “Keto” to a doctor. I’d say I no longer was eating processed foods, avoiding sugar, but eating “whole” foods and above ground vegetables. You are on a natural diet, not a processed food diet. Just my thoughts, if they help. Doctors often react to the word Keto. It depends on your doctor.

(Ivy) #11

I did do this, didnt say I was doing keto without carbs, kinda just high fat –
saying didnt even have fats in diet before [actually true, just slightly tried increasing them weeks out before keto]

(Ivy) #12

What does the appendix have to do with my worrying about being healthy on keto, just wondering?

(Ivy) #13

I did get a physical and all the accompanying blood tests my doc thought appropriate for ordering more [meaning nothing yet]

Im assuming it could be hormones and/or something people normally experience on keto, especially women? I dont have a menstrual-cycle–that stopped 2 weeks pre-keto. What other problems would there be?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

I have no idea. I’m not sure anyone really knows what the human appendix is supposed to do. It is often considered a vestigial organ.

(Ivy) #15

I thought you said you foiund out it failed you–you should have figured out how it happened or did something about it?

Dr. Berg, (yes, he is a chiropractor), offers an explanation of what the function of the appendix. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4U6bhB9a4U&t=2s