I have a question about bacon

(Karnivore) #43

Hello fellow Carnivore! I love how similar our usernames are :laughing:
This is a good idea/point. Thank you for your input :slight_smile:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #44

Curious, why so?

(Vic) #45

Its carnivore spelled in my native language :grin:

(Vic) #46

Bacon is processed with refined sugar, thus, junk food. I sometimes add it to a meal because it tastes good. Guess that makes me a more Relaxed Carnivore. :wink:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #47

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #48

Because it gets washed off at the end?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #49

Because there are sugar-eating bacteria involved in the curing process that get washed off at the end?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #50

Actually, sugar (and honey) has anti-bacterial properties. There is medicinal sugar used for packing wounds to help them heal.

I am more relaxed also when it comes to eating some processed stuff but I watch it very closely on what I will eat.

I consider carnivore junkfood to be pork rinds, beef sticks, jerky and deli meats etc. Bacon I never put there in that category tho LOL

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #52

When I brewed beer and braggot I learned this. Sugar, aka barley malt, is the preferred food of brewing yeasts. It’s also the preferred food for a host of other micro organisms we don’t want in our beer. Honey, which is used in addition to malt to make braggot, is indeed an antiseptic. It requires careful use to convince yeast to eat it. With honey in the mix, it’s lots easier to keep the undesirables out.