I have a question about bacon

(Karnivore) #1

The bacon (since it’s uncured, pork belly?) in question:

Open Nature Bacon Applewood Smoked Center Cut Uncured - 12 Oz

The ingredients are: Pork, Water, Salt, Organic Cane Sugar, Celery Powder and Spices.

Would you eat this? Is the cane sugar okay?

Per “1fried slice”, it say that there are no carbs/no sugar.

Thank you!

EDIT: Can I get any brand of bacon as long as is has 0g sugar if I find a cheaper one?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Welcome to the world of marketing! First all bacon is cured, otherwise it’s not bacon it’s just pork. ‘Uncured’ simply means sodium nitrites are not added to the curing solution. Instead, celery powder is used, as in your list of ingredients. Thus the company can claim ‘no sodium nitrites’. The celery contains nitrites, so big whoop. Nitrites are not harmful, so nothing to worry about anyway.

Second, the list of ingredients contains sugar. The US labeling law permits producers to claim ‘zero sugar’ and/or ‘no added sugar’ if the amount of sugar in the serving size is less than .5 grams. Note the ‘serving size’ is 1 slice, which is probably about 10-15 grams. The calculated sugar content can be up to .499999 grams and still be called 0. This is nonsense, and all countries should require producers to list nutrients and ingredients per 100 grams to prevent this kind of misleading crappola. What this means in actual numbers is: if you ate 4 slices of this bacon (about 45-50 grams total) you could get up to 2 grams of sugar. So, about 4 grams per 100 grams of bacon. You need to account for this in your daily carb total.

Finally, enjoy it. Unless you make your own, you are very unlikely to find any bacon anywhere that hasn’t been cured in sugar water. Some claim to be ‘smoke’ cured, but again read the list of ingredients and look for any words ending in ose or ol.

(Karnivore) #3

Thank you! Would you guess if I ate 4-6 slices per day, that the slight bit of sugar in the bacon would affect how I feel on this WoE?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

It might, or might not. There’s a world of individual variation between folks. My suggestion is to calculate the carb/sugar as .5 gram per slice and keep track of it as part of your daily carb intake. As long as you stay sub-20 grams of carbs net per day, you should be OK. Whether or not it affects how you feel, only observation can determine. Try not eating any for a couple weeks.

(Karnivore) #5

Okay, thank you! In that case, I shall probably get some next time we get groceries. Even if I had 6 slices of bacn (3g net) and 2 hard boiled eggs (2g net), I’ll be at 5g carbs (not including the fractional carbs from cheese) which means I’ll be wayyyy under lol! right now i’m doing carnivore with dairy + eggs + meat + spices and some diet coke (need to drop that…) so basically the whole shbang. because of this, i will assume that the “bacon” won’t affect me too much. Thanks again for your answers :slight_smile:

Obviously a slice has sugar if it contains sugar… I am so glad that in we have proper numbers in my country as far as I know. It’s not even rounded to whole numbers for 100g all the time. My not lactose-free cheeses write something like “3.2g carbs per 100g”. Even though I wouldn’t eat much enough for the .2 to matter. Or the 3 but others eat more cheese and many of us love to know things.

No one can tell if eating much of this bacon would affect how you feel. A few grams of sugar may affect me negatively - but only alone, never with fatty protein so bacon is “safe” for me regarding my well-being. I merely avoid added sugar from principle, it’s a very old habit. It feels “cleaner” this way, just like having a few drops of HWC isn’t a clean fasting. Some of us are sensitive about it but it’s fine not to be.
And in some rare cases probably even I would be tempted to ignore this rule to avoid feeling restricted. But if I see 2 very similar items and one has no sugar, I choose that.

Carnivore? Even better, your sugar intake for the day is super low (unless you eat dairy with lactose like me on some days) and all the fat and protein should balance out the few carbs from sugar. Unless you are very sensitive, maybe but you will notice that.

you eat all the bacon you want :slight_smile: at any time. Your bacon you love and do well on is absolutely fine for you on zero carb. I ate 1 lb packages of regular old bacon many many many times since I started zc LOL

Don’t be calculating any animal kingdom carbs on this plan. Don’t mean a thing :slight_smile:

what you do not want is any type of ‘maple flavored bacon’ or some crazy additive to it.

Carnivores count NO carbs from meat/bacon/seafood/fish/dairy.

They mean absolutely nothing to us. If you like ‘to track’ that is cool cause some people enjoy plugging in their numbers but carbs from animal kingdom mean nothing at all. Only carbs from the plant world are the ones we do not want. Don’t waste any time tracking what little carb is in an egg or any other animal kingdom product. Not worth your efforts kinda :wink: cause those are wrapped in protein goodness, not plant matter so our animal kingdom carbs are fine and mean nothing, while any plant matter carbs we avoid.

yea dump the diet soda :slight_smile: believe me when gone and later you try a sip, it will taste like chemical toxic sludge, but you have to get off it and dump it for a while before you realize, omg this stuff is poison LOL I was a diet pepsi fanatic. I drank so much of that stuff and when I ditched it, even now when I take a baby sip from my kid’s bottle she might drink, I am like, omg what the heck is this crap and never have one day I miss that junk. So hang in there :slight_smile:

(Elizabeth ) #8

yea E I have to say diet soda (soda drinks) is the is one of my top 2 most useless unnecessary harmful crap on the planet. My second is cereal…ugh, cereal to me isn’t even ‘food’ HAHA

(Jeff S) #10

Fizzy water flavored with a dash of lemon or lime juice is a great substitute for soda. It has flavor and the same mouth feel as soda, but with none of the chemicals.

yea I tried fizzy soda stuff for a bit but I bloat horrible on anything carbonated. I just drink water only which is weird cause I would drink alot of things, now I am down to 1. Many don’t bloat on fizzy stuff like me, I just blow up like a monster balloon instantly and I hate it LOL anything fizzy is out of my life forever.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

Since this thread is in the Carnivore forum, eating raspberries is probably not on the radar of the people reading. Since the point of a carnivore diet is to avoid plant-based foods, I would avoid bacon with sugar in it on principle, since sugar/sucrose is a phytochemical, even though the actual amount of sugar is probably negligible. And the same for spices.

If one is not doing strict carnivore, then one may do as one pleases. But in that case, what one is doing should not be called carnivore.

(Elizabeth ) #15

Carbonated drinks of any kind can affect your muscles.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #16

Cite something, please.

carnivores can eat some spice and easily eat some sugar in processed meats

here is image of how it falls:

Most of us here are relaxed carnivores allowing the spices but we do not eat fruit or plants. We do allow small amt of spice and processed meats etc but those not a meal…they are flavor added.

So just so everyone can kinda see some progression inbetween plans.

I would, it’s in completely ignorable amounts.

(Scott) #19

I didn’t know I was a “relaxed Carnivore” but it’s still carnivore to me.

Oh, I don’t sweat the bacon sugars. I only have two or three slices a day so it is what it is.

(Elizabeth ) #20

not talking about natural sparkling waters- but taken as a whole, artificially carbonated drinks are better avoided…https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090519075420.htm
https://healthfully.com/the-effects-of-carbonated-drinks-on-a-persons-body-6008019.html
https://www.top10homeremedies.com/news-facts/toxic-ingredients-soda-harm-health.html
https://draxe.com/nutrition/phosphoric-acid/

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #21

Thanks. I’ve only read your first link and it’s about colas specially not carbonation per se. Will read the others later after I get home from work.

(Karnivore) #22

Thank you! I believe I’ve never tried this bacon, so IDK if I will do well on it. I’m sure I will, because on keto I’ve had some bacon on bunless burgers while eating out.

Yay! Actually, I’ve dropped calorie tracking completely which is AWESOME. So, if I ate over 20g carbs of animal products, I would feel okay? If I eat too many carbs from plant products I feel horrible lol!

I hope that happens for me, too!