I have a question about bacon

(Karnivore) #23

Wow. Thank you for posting that article. That helped a lot. YIKES.

(Karnivore) #24

Even plain seltzer water? :frowning:

oh whoops didn’t see this

(Karnivore) #25

moved to post above

yea yea Karnivore

any animal kingdom products mean nothing about carb counts and take this for what it is worth, I survived, I MEAN survived on lbs. of bacon easily when I started. I ate a ton of it and did well. Then about year 3 I was kinda ‘off bacon’ and use it so much less now. Plus bacon is work to make cause I like pan fried, not an ‘oven bacon gal’ so it is like, how bad do I wanna cook bacon HAHA now I am slap a bigger steak on the grill and call my life done in the kitchen LOL

(Scott) #27

I fry two strips of bacon in a pan with a sausage patty only because I need the grease to mix with my eggs. I also hate to waste meat so I eat them too.

(Bob M) #28

The second one: garbage.
The third one: more garbage.
The fourth one: additional garbage.

No RCTs, no controlled trials at all. Just hearsay and smoke and mirrors. (More epi, FFQ-based studies, which are meaningless.)

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #29

Thanks for doing the grunt work, Bob.

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #30

No one in their right mind eats one slice of bacon in one sitting…

(Jack Bennett) #31

There are zero-sugar / Whole30 compatible bacon brands that you can get, but they tend to be much more expensive and less widely available.

(Elizabeth ) #32

:notes: one is the loneliest number :notes:

(Karnivore) #33

YUM! I’m glad to hear you had a positive experience with it :smile:

I KNOW. Why…how would it even cross one’s MIND to put the serving size for ONE. PIECE. OF. BACON.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #34

As noted previously.

(Karnivore) #35

Can I get any brand of bacon if I find a cheaper one, as long as it isn’t purposely sweet (ie maple bacon)?

Edit: also, are these: “Cured with water, salt, sugar, sodium phosphate, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite” problems? idk what they are lol. from the brand “jimmy dean”

(Edith) #36

The thing I don’t like about articles like this is they use the words may and might. That says to me that the evidence didn’t really prove the point. Maybe correlations from epidemiological studies?

The other problem with the article was this:

Diet soda mixed with alcohol makes you more intoxicated

That would probably not be a negative for many people. :joy:

Diet soda makes your brain experience effects similar to chemical addiction

I do believe this point.

yes of course.

bacon is buy any one you love and can afford. Bacon is a great ‘crutch’ for us zc people :slight_smile: I ate lb after lb and did fab on it iwth no issues, but again, some people find eating bacon doesn’t set well with them and they drop it but those who love it, eat it up :slight_smile:

yea no flavored ones with maple or whatever. Just get regular old bacon ya love!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #38

Precisely. To find out just what the research actually says, we need to look at the actual journal article. In general, the effect noticed is quite small and, while it may be statistically significant, it is often not clinically significant. A correlation from an epidemiological study, as we all know, is no indication of causality, just something that needs to be followed up with a randomised, controlled trial to verify that the correlation is at all a sign of something going on.

(Karnivore) #39

Great, thank you :slight_smile:

(Ideom) #40

:heart: One of the greatest thread titles ever. :heart:

(Karnivore) #41

It’s perfect, am I right? It’s straight to the point. “I have a question, about the one, the only, bacon!”

(Vic) #42

I have bacon ones a week as a side dish or some candy.
It is junkfood in my book. I still eat it. My diet doesnt need to be perfect.