I hate working out

(Karla Sykes) #1

I literally hate working out. I rather go to the dentist. How do you guys keep it up? I’m about to go to my apartment gym which is free and you would think I would be in there every day but I only go on the weekend I’m at this point is just literally for health benefits I want to workout to lose weight but I just don’t have the motivation one

(Doug) #2

Me too, Karla. I used to be a runner, and if I actually got myself dressed and out the door, then I was okay, but getting to that point was often a struggle. :smile:

If an exercise machine has a “calories burned” counter (as fallible as they often are) that is some help - I can set a goal of 1000 or 1500 calories burned and I won’t quit that way… But it’s day-to-day or week-to-week at best.

So it seems I always need distractions or side goals - never got to the point where I really wanted to work out for the sake of working out. And it’s pretty straightforward for me, things are good when I do it, and much less good when I don’t. And still, I almost never do.

(Paulene ) #3

Me too! But that’s probably because I love going to the dentist. :smile: (I’m a bit unusual).

I joined a gym when I started keto for some light weight work. Did not enjoy it at all so I cancelled the membership. Now I’m just walking a few times a week and have bought some resistance bands to use at home. Maybe later I’ll have another go at the gym.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

Instead of ‘working out’ do something you like to do. I like to walk so I do a lot of that. I like to cycle so I do a lot of that when it’s warm and sunny. Just do something.

I just walk some 10 minutes a day, and when the weather is nice, I fool around in the garden, walking around and snipping things, mostly just easy pruning stuff. Housework is exercise too, and I love playing tug of war with my dog, as does she. I don’t like gyms, but I do like nature. Just getting up and about is good.

The human brain/body has a natural response that initially wants you to take the easiest path forward. You have to train yourself to ignore the initial thought of the mind telling you to take that easy path. I’ve watched quite a bit of stuff on motivation and overcoming that and getting out the door is the hardest part.

(Susan) #7

I love reading and the only time I allow myself to read during the day is when I’m on an exercise machine. All fiction, all fun stuff for the exercise machines.

(charlie3) #8

I’m old enough that health is finally a compeling issue but that wouldn’t be enough. Honestly, it’s vanity, and diet alone won’t get the job done. 100 years ago a 71 year old in my condition would be a common sight. Not any more. I hope I’m setting a good example, encouraging others, in particular my 4 younger siblings. So you’re not just doing it for you.

(Tabania Crockett) #9

I hate working out, too, Karla. I did find a British certified trainer on YouTube with over 900 videos. Some as short as 4 minutes; lots in the 7-10 minute range. Right now I’m doing one of her 20 minute ones daily. I definitely feel it. No equipment, no leaving the apt. If you’re interested I’ll pass along the link to her channel.

(Karla Sykes) #10

Thanks for not judging me you guys you are great but you know what I’ve been doing lately? I’ve been walking 1 mile a day and usually motivate me to go because I try to do it as quick as possible and I started off at 17 minutes a mile and on my days that I want to rush I can do a mile within 14 minutes. So far I work out 7 miles a week and I was told that it should be double that but I don’t know I just do one mile every day. And that loan got me on just a water pill with no high blood pressure medicine and my water pill is free on my health insurance. So I literally do not pay an out-of-pocket expense for medicine anymore since I’ve been working out the past eight months and you would think this would be a great motivator to keep it up but there are days where I say I’m going to run in that gym get this one mile out and run back out and those are my days where I can do a mild sometimes and 12 minutes and 32 seconds. Yes I am Petty enough & I will stop in between seconds I will go to the next minute once I see one mile I literally jumped off the elliptical

(charlie3) #11

If we were all together in the 19th century this kind of discussion would be very odd. We would all take it for granted that we wanted to be eating all the animal based food we could afford and we wouldn’t be worried about “exercise” because we walk everywhere, daily chores and work are arduous, we are more exposed to the elements because central heating is rare, etc. If we kept our pets as cooped up and restricted as we keep ourselves, if we fed our animals as poorly as we feed ourselves, we wouldn’t expect good outcomes yet we pretend we can except ourselves. Well, not me, not any more.

(Tracy) #12

I hate it. I go to the gym every morning and walk for 30 minutes because I like to walk. I watch youtube videos on Keto cooking. I’m never going to lift weights, do aerobics, or anything that I will dread. If I dread something I won’t continue. It took me a few years to figure that out. Just stay busy and find something to keep your body moving.

(Karla Sykes) #13

Thanks for the wonderful feedback

7 miles is impressive! And with LCHF and intermittent fasting, there is a lot of healthy change in the muscle mass without official working out.

I think once one is close to one’s ideal body composition, doing super slow intense weightlifting or other weight-bearing work can be fabulous for taking recomposition to the next level of strength for health. But keto physicians will tell you that - esp for the obese - just getting up and down is strength training. Walking a mile a day is great for boosting endorphins and reducing cortisol, which in turn help hormonal balancing. :muscle:

(Keto Koala 🐨) #15

I hate it too, I think from years of anorexia I sort of overdid it. I used to wrap glad wrap around my body and run for miles. It was so nuts that if I didn’t go out I would run laps up and down in my living room doing weights, pushups and lunges too. Working with Racehorses was good, cos it was a workout without feeling like I was actually working out. I’m on my feet moving all day at work and I move really fast, I think that’s the best I can do right now. I’ve had lots of medical issues in the past so I just do what I can. I get tired very easily.

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #16

you should not need to work out to lose weight

(David Cooke) #17

Here we go again. We need to work out to become and stay healthy. As you get healthy you lose weight.

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #18

to be clear, sedentary fowk controlled for weight and muscle mass generally have higher insulin levels and DOING STUFF helps you come to need less insulin. BUT, if you need to exercise to lose weight or to become level 1 healthy, you are doing it wrong, because exercise doesn’t actually help you lose weight or get past the first roadblock. Diet and glycemic control (together, not separately) will get you to level 1. Once you’re at level 1 you can get off the elevator if you like and you will live a reasonably long life. Or you can stay on the elevator and pile on exercise, meditation, supplements… A lot of people cannot work out precisely because they need to lose weight. It does not then make sense that we have to work out to be healthy. Your advice will injure people.

(Flying Saucereyes) #19

I hate working out and any exercise in general. I do enjoy yoga but found the hassle of getting changed and going out to a class took too much motivation. I found an app which allows me to chose the style, time, particular focus area etc. I can talk myself into 20 mins of hatha or vinyasa in the morning or 30 mins of yin before bed. Not much, but over a whole week it adds up and is much better than no exercise at all. I seem to resist carb cravings more easily with some exercise in my week.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #20

[quote=“Scatterbrain, post:19, topic:98729, full:true”]
I hate working out and any exercise in general. I do enjoy yoga

Yes Yoga is pretty awesome. God I used to love it.