I hate the treadmill

(David K) #1

I usually alternate Strong Lifts 5x5 with Rowing and yesterday was a lift day, but someone was on the rower. So, after some internal debate I opted for the treadmill. I was able to maintain a slow jog (4mph) for a full mile which is a first for me. It has been a long time since I used one but I usually tap out at a 1/4 mile.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

I hate treadmills, too. I also hate gyms. Thatā€™s why I own a Concept 2 rower (2nd hand). I figure over the years Iā€™ve owned it Iā€™ve probably more than saved its cost vs. paying to go to a gym.

And I never have to wait for it to be free. :wink:

(David K) #3

Yeah, I am looking for one but it would take forever to recoup the cost of the lifting equipment I use. Plus, my gym is $20/month and I am usually the only one that ever uses the rower (itā€™s a Concept 2).

(Jo Lo) #4

Love rowingā€¦ but endurance work, especially running, has some specific health benefits that you may not get from other exercise. Listen to what Dr Rhonda Patrick has to say about running and BDNF.
You donā€™t hear much about this, it seems that the pendulum has swung away from running compared to a few decades ago, but that does not mean that it lacks strong benefits.

(David) #5

Whatā€™s your inside leg. Whenever I went on treadmills I would walk faster than that. Iā€™m not bragging or criticising, just genuinely curious.

I remember trying couch to 5k a few years ago. I swore when I heard the voice on the audio say ā€œtoday you are going to run for 20 minutesā€. A month earlier I couldnā€™t even run the length of our street (0.1 mile). I stopped that when I got a cough and am heavier now.

Maybe after a few months on Keto Iā€™ll give it another go.

(David K) #7

(David K) #8

28" Inseam, 5ā€™8" ~275lbs

Iā€™ve also discovered that the MPH varies wildly from treadmill to treadmill.

(David K) #9

Rowing IS my endurance work.

(Guardian of the bacon) #10

I hear the orthopedic surgeons make a lot of money replacing old runners knees and hips.

(John) #11

I used to run a lot but it did so much damage to my knees and back doc said to quit. Drā€™s orders!

(shawn) #12

I may not always want to run, but itā€™s a huge stress reliever for me, and it helps me work out problems and even creative things like dance choreographies. Luckily my dog wonā€™t let me get away without regular runs, so heā€™s what motivates me. Best personal trainer ever!

(Richard Morris) #13

I used to get horrible shin splints on my left shin when I ran on a treadmill ā€¦ I thought that may have been related to having a lack of meniscus coverage on the inside of my knee changing my gait. But finding a tumour that had probably been there for 20 years makes me think now that there might have been more going on.

(Jacquie) #14

Years ago, I used a treadmill with a high incline as I was pretty good aerobically from years of running and high impact aerobics. Developed major problems with the 1st MTP joint of my big toe. Surgery and fusion of the TMT joint, which was a new way of treating this problem, worked well and I had an excellent result. Replaced treadmill with ellipticalā€¦no problems.

Consider checking out some sort of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) if you need some variety or hit a wall: This one only takes 10 minutes (can be done on a stationary bike, treadmill, rower, etc.) despite the catchy "One Minute Tagline): http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/04/27/1-minute-of-all-out-exercise-may-equal-45-minutes-of-moderate-exertion/?_r=0

I hate cardio in general but have to do at least 2 days per week. I am most concerned with keeping my HR elevated so it gives me flexibility in which exercise I choose. Occasionally I get an urge to jog and I do. mostly I set my treadmill at its highest incline and walk. It resembles a stairmill workout and my HR is the same as when I jog. I have also gotten into doing rounds of kettlebell swings and love this. But yeah, I hate anything that involves jumping or moving fast :roll_eyes:

(David) #17

I never experienced the feeling that then speeds varied that wildly. They always ā€˜feltā€™ to be at my pace at a certain speed. E.g. About 6mph always felt good for me. A bit more of I was wanting to push myself and walk faster.

(Jo Lo) #18

All the people that I know that have had knee and hip replacements are sedentary people. Not that it canā€™t happen to active people, but it seems to be rare.

Activity has been shown clinically to have a protective effect, especially on your knees.

So repeating that old non-runnerā€™s workhorse ā€œit will ruin your kneesā€ is rather tiresome as well as false, Eh?

The argument for running is similar to that for eating meat. Things that we evolved doing are not going to rise up and kill us, or even injure us. Actually we are quite well adapted for them.

(David K) #19

All the people I know who had knee replacements were very, very active. Hips? Yes, sedentary.

(Jacquie) #20

I worked with lots of patients (32 years worth) that had hip and knee replacements. They were all over the map with regard to activity. :slight_smile: