I gained for the first time since starting KETO

(Ketoviking) #1

Ok so it was only 0.5 lb. And I have lost 37 lbs since 02/15/19. I’m not wholly depressed about it but I’m something and I need to tell someone about it. This was the first week I didn’t track EVERYTHING with food scale in hand. I wanted to see how I’d do in the wild without a compass. I’m not saying that contributed to it. I started a heavier rucking routine so it could be stress hormone due to increased exercise. I also consumed an unholy amount of DIET :grimacing: Dr Pepper. Should I go back to tracking everything I eat like a crazy person again? Feels like a safety blanket at the moment. I think my biggest issue is I’ve steadily lost 2-4 lbs every week and this is the first week nothing has happened. I know some ppl on here have talked about a 2-3 lb shift either way in a week. One good thing is clothes are continually fitting looser and looser and I can tell a difference in body composition. And yes I know the scale is the enemy. Maybe I just need to quit worrying about it and be happy for what I’ve accomplished thus far. Someone give me the proverbial pat on the head and tell me it will be ok.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #2

You’re doing great so far! Progress is progress!
With regard to the weight loss though I’d say get off the diet sodas asap. I drank an unholy amount of Zero Calorie Monster energy drinks and I gained weight. Artificial sweeteners need to go. Definitely go back to tracking if you feel better doing so :blush:

(Ketoviking) #3

Double check on the artificial sweeteners! :+1::+1:

(Jody) #4

Instead of trying to get even more restrict because you made choices you didn’t like, how about instead, be patient, be kind, be compassionate to yourself. How would you talk to a loved one who was telling you this story? Would you beat them up? No way, you would be supportive. So support yourself. You deserve it too.

Unless you can manage the mental hit, don’t weigh yourself every day, it doesn’t really mean much anyway. My Dr weighs me every 6 months. That is 2x/year. Can you imagine?!! I would challenge anyone to give that a go. I have no idea what I weight right now, I can guess given my history. What I watch is how my clothes feel and how my body moves in yoga, increase in energy, stopped my T2D medication. To me that is way more important than the scale.

(Ketoviking) #5

I appreciate your kind words and support. I only weigh about 1 to 2 weeks because I realize this is a game of time. I am very much an extremist personality, 100% in or 100% apathetic. That’s why KETO works well for me, I have no problem eating 5 carbs a day the other side is I could also drink 5 sugar laden soft drinks a day when I’m not on a healthy eating track. What I’m working on is the mental balance you hint to above. No one can sustain a full on assault for a long period of time especially in a WOE such as keto. I have approached it as a battle to be won or a prize to be conquered. I’m realizing this is a much more psychological process of changing life long habits over time and replacing them with new ones and part of that is the way I view myself. I think thus far I’ve looked at KETO as something I do, rather than internalizing it as something I am becoming, not the specific WOE but the individual it will allow me to become. Thanks again for the support! So glad I found this community.

(Jody) #6

I agree and I would argue the mental shift is the bigger battle.