I gained 4lbs after 1 month of keto, why?

Hi,

I did gain weight on my keto diet. I eat always under 20g of carbs, even lower. I do eat a little more protein than 25%, but not more. I sometimes eat like 200-300 calories more than I should. Could you help me ? I do not want to gain more weight.

I eat an avocado a day, chia seeds, fish, olive oil, chicken, pork, strawberry and heavy cream. (most of the time)

(Chris) #2

You could fluctuate 4 pounds in a matter of hours honestly. Track your trends for longer than a month and see if the weight gain continues.

You mentioned you’re eating 2-300 calories more than you should, but how many total calories is that?

Apparently, I should be eating like 1500 calories, but sometimes I can eat more, like 1700-1800, because I can be hungry or just want something :sweat_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

What’s your purpose in eating a ketogenic diet? Is weight-loss your primary reason?

I ask, because this way of eating is more of a long-term change in eating habits than a quick-fix diet. If you are in a hurry to lose weight, keto may not be for you. But there are other health advantages that a ketogenic diet can give, and if you stick around, you might find that they mean as much to you as weight loss.

Guessing from your name, I’d say you are a woman, and women have a more difficult time getting into weight-loss mode on a ketogenic diet, especially during their child-bearing years. A number of women on these forums took a month or two to really get started, but they stuck with it because of the hormonal healing that happened in the meantime.

If you’d feel okay sharing information about yourself—height, weight, age, typical day’s food intake, that sort of thing—I’m sure people would be happy to make suggestions about what to tweak, or to point out pitfalls in what you’re eating that you might not have known about (what we call “hidden carbs” can trip anyone up).

So I am 5’3 and weight 119lbs.
I do 20 min of yoga and 30 minutes of cardio everyday.
I’m 22 years old.
I eat lots of avocados, chicken, fish, heavy cream, rasperries, chia seeds, cacao powder, i like to make some recipes with stevia often (2 times a week I’ll say).
I also eat salad, greens, celery juice and eggs.
I use 2 oils mostly; olive oil and coconut oil. I do use some butter sometimes or some Ghee.
I do not fast everyday.

I started the keto diet to help my anxiety disorder, I noticed that it did calm me down, which I am very grateful for. I notice that my energy level is way better and I am in a such better mood.

4 lbs is not very important, but I want to know if I am doing something wrong, because I do not want to take too much weight because of this diet, I was overweighted when I was little and did not like it at all.

(Scott) #6

First thing my eyes hit was strawberry. That needs to go.

it seems like you’re at an ideal weight, and what I’m seeing is that you’re doing keto to help with anxiety, and not to lose weight – but you sure didn’t expect to gain weight, either. :slight_smile: I would say it sounds like you’re doing the right things from what you’re describing, but weight does fluctuate at any given day like someone said above. So it might not be actual fat that you gained. I highly doubt it is! If your carbs are below 20g (or stay as low as you can) it is really hard to actually gain fat. So just keep sticking to less than 20g of carbs (but watch out for hidden carbs like strawberries… stuff adds up fast!). … eat when you’re hungry, don’t eat when you’re not. Stop when you’re full. I’m not gonna tell you to stop doing cardio, because some people like cardio and the exercise can help with anxiety. But for a lot of people (like me), cardio makes them hungrier. I will say, if you’re doing the cardio for the purpose of keeping weight down… in that case, consider cutting back a lot or stopping.

(John) #8

This might be the answer. If you are already at a healthy weight and physically active, you may not have the insulin issues that others have, and may be in a normal metabolic state where calories do matter.

Eat when you are hungry but not when you “just want something” and it might even out.

true. For some people, the quantity of food doesn’t matter, but for some people it does. So, while most people here wouldn’t recommend counting calories… just eating when hungry/stopping when full is such a great way to make sure your body is getting the right amount.

(Todd Allen) #10

Strawberries are ok on keto. 100 g, a fairly generous serving, is less than 6 g net carbs.

Technically anything is ok on keto… even M&Ms. It’s just that things add up so easily (like, who can eat just one M&M) ? So for some people (not all) it’s better to avoid certain things altogether.

(Todd Allen) #12

Your diet looks healthy. Your height & weight is very normal, some would say ideal. It doesn’t look like you are doing anything wrong or need to change anything at all. Some find strength training helpful for improving physique and you might try incorporating more strength moves into your yoga or other exercising. Maybe you are already doing this in which case I would look at the scale less and judge your progress by appearance in the mirror or photos as muscle is heavy and the weight is desirable.

Other factors can have a big impact on health and body composition. Stress, anxiety and poor sleep are things to consider and address if possible, since it appears your are doing well with diet and exercise.

(Todd Allen) #13

I’ve looked at many lists of recommended keto foods and they include fruits that are ok in typical serving sizes. Raspberries and strawberries are two of the most recommended fruits.

Peanuts are also ok on keto but are often put on the foods to watch out for, unlike strawberries, because they are easy to overeat. If strawberries are a problem food that provokes over indulgence then yes cut them out. Otherwise, just budget for them to stay within ones carbohydrate limit.

Telling someone strawberries have to go is not standard keto advice.

I getcha

(Dan Quibell) #15

Cutting out the heavy cream will remove the empty fat calories and most likely be enough to maintain weight without gaining anymore.

(Not a cow) #16

Did you stop taking anything that was diuretic ? I take a water pill for swelling ankles, which I stopped taking on Monday, and while I was fasting for 48 hours I was surprised to see I didn’t lose even 1 pound. After re-feeding the next day, I was up 4 pounds. I’d forgotten that I had stopped taking my pill, and once i started again, as of today, I’m back down a couple of pounds from before my fast. I was very close to starting my own “What happened to me” thread. :slight_smile:

Hi,

So I thought about all of your ideas and I finally found why I was gaining wight; HIDDEN CARBS :pensive::pensive::pensive::pensive::pensive:

I was actually eating a keto chocolate mousse multiple times a week which I thought was 3g of carbs per serving, but I did my own research on a website where you can count the calories in your recipe yourself, and it’s 10 fucking carbs per serving !!! Omg I am so angry :rage::rage::rage::rage:
I realized this today while I was eating my mousse that I was not feeling fine and remember it happens everytime I eat it !! I was out of the 20g a day :frowning:

Moreover I stopped taking my probiotics last week…

I am stopping eating this mousse, thank you for your help !

Will I pass trough the keto flu again ? Now that I’m stopping eating 20+ carbs again :nauseated_face:

Dr Eric Westman reckons most people he sees do not go through keto flu in the first place.

So I reckon if you keep your water and sodium up you’ll be just fine.

I know when I got accidentally knocked out by eating carbs I did not experience anything falling out of and then going back into Ketosis . I just gained 2 pounds that’s all