I feel miserable

(Carolina Starzynski) #21

Can you drink keto aid on IF?

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #22

Iā€™ve been using the lemon-lime.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #23

Yes you can, best not to use any sweeteners during your fasting window though.

(Khara) #24

Just throwing this out thereā€¦ I switched from iodized salt to sea salt many years ago. Now, whenever I have regular table salt (iodized), it just completely ruins the food. People who have not switched have no idea what Iā€™m talking about. So to me, typical table salt, the kind I grew up on and ate for 30+ years, is really flavored like iodine. Maybe if thatā€™s the kind of salt you are using, I can understand why you donā€™t want to use it!

(Allie) #25

So donā€™t do it. Get back to eating normally for a while and try again when youā€™re ready. It is not a requirement.

(Carolina Starzynski) #26

so, as I discussed with @Momof5, I skipped supper the last two days. It was much easier! I get home too tired to cook anyways and I donā€™t feel the mood swings during the night.

I also woke up feeling way less hungry than usual today! So thatā€™s what Iā€™ll do for now :slight_smile:

(Susan) #27

You are doing great, Carolina =-) I am glad that things are going better. If you have any questions about anything, donā€™t hesitate to ask everyone. We want you to succeed and want to encourage you on the way =)).

(Carolina Starzynski) #28

Thatā€™s very sweet! Thank you very much :slight_smile:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #29

If you try and fast too soon without being fat adapted you run a risk of damaging your metabolism and starving your body. It doesnt have an adequate fuel source to sustain you.
I can fast for 5 days and not feel hungry, because I am very adapted.

(Carolina Starzynski) #30

When do you think it would be recommended to start?

(BuckRimfire) #31

On a Keto Woman podcast, Dr. Bosworth was recommending only eating in the morning to early afternoon (IIRC she said "the first 8 hours of daylight, which in Seattle in June/July would be 4 AM to noon, so maybe she didnā€™t mean that TOO literally). I think it was episode 62 or 63. Iā€™ve forgotten exactly why she recommended that, but I think it may have been to coordinate with diurnal cortisol levels. Sorry I canā€™t be more specific. If you can find that comment you can decide if it applies to your situation.

Someone in another IF thread I was reading recently suggested that if you want to do OMAD, or >24 hour fasts, it is easier to have your eating window in the morning since they found the hardest part of fasting to be around the 18 hour point. If you are asleep at that point, it isnā€™t as tempting to eat.

So, both of those suggestions would support your need to skip dinner rather than breakfast.

If you just need something quick and easy to feel a bit satiated before bed, you could try this: a large cup of non-caffeinated tea (I like ginger-turmeric-lemongrass mix from my supermarketā€™s bulk jars) + 1 tablespoon (15 grams) unrefined coconut oil (get mine from Trader Joeā€™s) + 2-3 tablespoons (30 to 45 mL) of heavy whipping cream (the type with no additives, ideally). Whiz that in a blender and thatā€™s 200 calories or so of healthy fat and almost nothing else, so it should make you feel less hungry but not kick up your insulin. If Iā€™m not mistaken, this would fit the idea of a ā€œfat fastā€ during the evening.

(BuckRimfire) #32

Probably everyone will be different. I was able to fast for 24 hours without any hunger after only a couple of weeks on keto, but that was also after a huge hotel buffet brunch, so maybe it doesnā€™t count?

One thing to remember about fasting is that it should be a ā€œfeast or famineā€ schedule. Donā€™t try to deliberately calorie-restrict, or your basal metabolic rate will simply decline to adjust to that. You should eat plenty (not to great excess, but without trying to undercut your basic needs) during the eating period. Then when you fast, your BMR is still high because it will take your body a while to ā€œrealizeā€ that the food intake is cut off, so hopefully some consumption of fat stores occurs during the fast.

(Susan) #33

If you do decide afterwards to do longer fasting, as in 24-72 hour ones; please make sure that you eat a nice big meal before doing this, and also after your fast, make sure the days of eating that you eat enough. I cannot emphasize this enough; as I was doing a bunch of 48 and 72 hour ones, and my body went into starvation mode (as the days between I was only eating about 500 calories) and that resulted in my having over a 2 month stall.

It was so frustrating as I was not cheating on Keto at all, and thought; hey I am fasting like tons, and no weight loss. So just take your time with actual real Fasting, and please remember to eat like 1500 or so calories on your eating days. I donā€™t want anyone else to go through the frustration I did is all, so just sharing that with you =-).

(BuckRimfire) #34

Wow. Did you feel like a zombie during this time? Your BMR must have been about as low as it could get.

(Susan) #35

I was really depressed and emotional and kept looking in the mirror and telling myself I didnā€™t deserve food because I am fat, etc -my fast eating disorder of the anorexia and bulimia went into overdrive, so I had to stop fasting for a bit. I plan to go back to it soon though, as I need to lose weight and autophagy. This time around I will stick to my 1500 calorie eating days and do one 48 hour one a week and one 72 hour one a month for starting though, not two-three a week =).

(Marianne) #36

The victory here is that you hung in there and came through the storm.

I fast for 48 hours a week. I spend the night at my sisterā€™s on Wednesdays so I just donā€™t eat that night, which makes it easier than being home. I donā€™t particularly like fasting, at least not right now.

(Susan) #37

My body just went into its old anorexic mode basically, I donā€™t get big appetites when I am trying to lose weight, it is like a switch goes off and I donā€™t get as hungry. I was tired all the time though, yes.

(Susan) #38

I am hoping that this protocol that I am doing atm until November 30 with @monsterjuice will help my body reset and start to lose weight again. It is frustrating when I am obeying all the rules kind of thing and the scale doesnā€™t move is all, haha.

(Ashley) #39

@Momof5 I havenā€™t weighed myself in ages I do know what I weigh from the doctors visit I had yesterday but, I think Ignoring your scale for a bit my be beneficial for you!

(Susan) #40

I am very addicted to it going down is all, hahaha. I am 242, I want to weigh about 130 or less I think (I will see what I look like and feel like then). but I know when I was even 140 before for quite some time that I looked good then as well, so we will see. but I certainly donā€™t want to be 242!! I am just frustrated at times.