I feel like I just found out the tooth fairy is not real! Net carbs Australia?!?

conversationstarters

(Shalyn) #1

Please someone explain the Australian & New Zealand nutritional labels :thinking:. I am far enough along in my Keto journey to stay away from most processed foods but sometimes you want to try new products. I was totally hanging for a pizza so I tried a Base I had in the cupboard from the Protien bread company. I use Cronometer and noticed the carb count on the Protien Bread Company Pizza Base carbs where way out on in Cronometer compared to on the packet. So I questions it with Cronometer and they proceed to tell me that in Australia & New Zealand the carbs stated are net carbs and they have already subtracted the fibre from the total carbsā€¦ what the actual Hell?? So my questions isā€¦ why can the take it apon themselves to do this? And what about ALL the products we have here that they donā€™t even put Dietary fibre on the label so I canā€™t even add the carbs and fibre together to get my total carbs. Take Pete Evens Bolognaise Sauceā€¦ clean ingredients but has no fibre stated on the label and only 3. Something carbs per serveā€¦ which canā€™t be accurate because of all the tomato?? Please explain to me if I have this total wrong, I really hope soā€¦ who are these people that get to decide what carbs I want to count and be aware of? Should all nutritional values be on packagingā€¦ especially fibre! Help :triumph::laughing:

(Carl Keller) #2

This is why we should stick to whole foods and avoid processed ones. There are no surprises when you make a meal from start to finish.

Nutrition labels lie to make their products more attractive. I trust cronometer much more than I do any products that are made by a company that ends in incā€¦

No the tooth fairy may not be real but if you truly believe in keto, the fat fairy will pay regular visits and barter good health for your fat.

(Shalyn) #3

Thanks Carl, I do make 99% of my food by scratch :smile:, that was not my question. My question is, why are Australian and New Zealand labels allowed to withhold information and change the actual correct carbs because they think they know best. Just getting clarification that I am understanding the labels correctly :blush: . If I am buying a good that has clean ingredients then I want to know the correct nutritional values of what I am eating.

(Running from stupidity) #4

Sorry, what information do they ā€œwithholdā€? The net carbs are there, the fibre is there.

And - massive improvement over the US labels - the amounts per 100g is there, so companies canā€™t make up idiotically small ā€œserving sizesā€ in order to get ingredients to a low enough level so they can legally say itā€™s zero.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

Yes like sausages that say 2 carbs per serving and you look at the serving size and it says 1\2 link! Seriously who eats half of a brat! A little kid maybešŸ˜. Or 12 oz can of soda that has a serving size of 4 oz! Who opens a can of soda and drinks 1/3 of it. Sneaky bastards!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #6

Yes! In America: 1 g carb per serving. Number of servings per can: 4,150. Serving size: 1/64th of a teaspoon.

(Shalyn) #7

A lot of our labels donā€™t have fibre even on the label in Australia. Iā€™m just trying to understand how it works. If they subtract the fibre from the carbs behind the scenes and only put net carbs on the label then donā€™t state what the fibre was then how do we know total carbs :joy:. I just donā€™t get why the canā€™t put the total carbs and the fibre content and leave.

(Shalyn) #8

:joy: ā€¦ bloody conspiracy! :rage:

(Running from stupidity) #9

Do you have any examples (i.e. photos)? I never recall having seen that (for items Iā€™d expect to have fibre in them).

If an item doesnā€™t list the fibre itā€™s probably pretty safe to assume that it has little to none. Health haloes being what they are, the manufacturer would be shouting it from the rooftops.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #11

You are complaining that our labels withhold information when in reality itā€™s the american labels that suck :joy::joy::joy::joy:

(Shalyn) #12

I am trying to understand but thank you for you helpful comment :+1:t2::smile:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #13

HAHA, quite the contrary, iā€™m not as helpful as much as I am here to provide comedic relief :wink:

(Shalyn) #14

Heā€™s an exampleā€¦ and no I donā€™t eat them lol. This is Pretzels. First ingredient is flour. From googling pretzels have around 3gram of fibre? Totally just trying to understand how it works here in Australia. I donā€™t care about US labels ā€¦ just working out mine :smile:. And just to confirm no I donā€™t eat pretzels on a keto diet just an example :laughing:

(Shalyn) #15

I would have thought Canned tomatoes would have fibre?

(Running from stupidity) #16

Depends how processed they are, I guess. Itā€™s one of the big issues with highly refined flour, the lack of fibre.

(Shalyn) #17

Itā€™s just not making sense ā€¦ if these crackers done have fibre in them then Iā€™ll eat my hat lol ā€¦ Iā€™ve down loaded the Australian label Guidelines to understand it better.

(Shalyn) #18

You would think soā€¦ here is an example ā€¦ you canā€™t tell me these crackers donā€™t have fibre?

Ok Iā€™m sure they do have some. Look, you know how many ā€˜usable carbsā€™ there are & if you eat packaged food you gotta take what they tell you as truth I guess.

(Shalyn) #20

Thanks but my question is not about what useable carbs are in a product. Iā€™m trying to understand the label guidelines in Australia. If there is carbs in a product then one would think they should be stated on the label. I donā€™t use net carbs and I hardly ever eat packaged food but when I do I should be able to see what I am consuming :smile: