I.F. and ketone readings

ketones

(Lindsey Caudle) #1

Hey there everybody. I just recently started doing an 18 to 22 hour Fast 2 to 3 times a week. I’ve also started recently testing my Ketone levels with blood strips. For some reason when I test after a fast my levels always seem to drop under 1.0. I’m wondering if maybe I’m doing something wrong or is this normal for your numbers to drop some? Last night before bed my reading was 1.6 and this evening after a 23-hour fast my reading was 0.9. I test at the same time every evening so I don’t think that’s what’s causing such a giant shift.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #2

How long have you been doing Keto and do you know if you are fat adapted yet?
Ketone levels change throughout the day, but I get notorious low reading on my blood meters because I am very fat adapted.
My body tends to use those ketones immediately and I don’t have a lot floating around my blood stream so to speak.
I can be fasting for 40 hours and test on a lunchtime and still only read 0.2, it’s because my body is working so efficiently.

(Lindsey Caudle) #3

I have been keto (this time) since 08.01.2018 but just recently within thebl last 3 weeks started seeing changes in my body and finally feeling satiated for long periods of time. I have sever PCOS and had been half assuming that maybe my lower readings were because my body wasn’t functioning correctly, but I’m now still getting low readings (the highest I’ve got was 1.7) despite the new changes.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #4

It definitely sounds like you have become adapated, congratulations!

Don’t worry about chasing blood ketone numbers on your meter, you are doing great and that’s evident by the fact you can now fast for longer periods of time.

If you have PCOS and other metabolic damage, it looks to be that it’s just taken your body a bit longer to adapt, which is totally normal.

I really do think you’re just a victim like myself to low blood ketone readings.

(Running from stupidity) #5

+1