I don't understand how to Keto

(LeeAnn Brooks) #11

So this is actually a misconception. Fat will end up filling you up much more than carbs. Though I wouldn’t suggest taking a swig of oil. There are lots of ways to get your fat. Pick high fat meats like pork belly or chicken thighs. Add mayo based sauces to high fat fishes like tuna or salmon. Enjoy cheeses, avocados, bacon and eggs… cook in oils or bacon grease.

You will soon find you can be satiated on fat much longer than your bread.

(Auden) #12

Just listen to the 2ketodudes podcast from the beginning! They created this forum. The podcast explains all of this. Good luck!

Pork belly is my favorite cut of meat!

This is what I did! I must admit one thing though, the lack of concern about alcoholic consumption at the beginning really troubled me. It was addressed in the later podcasts as a possible cause to stall weightloss and I’m still not caught up on the podcast so maybe the view has changed more, but it’s the one thing I can’t wrap my head around.

An occasional social drink or beer on the weekend - okay - but every night? I suggest not. For anybody - not just ketoers.

(Auden) #15

I think it’s like an n=1 thing. If you meet your goals while drinking alcohol/eating cheese/having cheat meals, then that’s ok. If you’re not meeting your goals, then it’s time to look at some of those things and think about changing them.

Yeah for sure, I’ll just never understand (and I’ve said it before) the “good God don’t eat vegetable oil it is devil juice” but drink a low-carb beer or some hard liquor every night as long as you don’t stall and your golden. Or let’s do low carb to heal our fatty liver and then poison it with alchohol.

It’s not that I care what others do, im laid back, whatever works for you. I just don’t understand it.

That aside, I love the 2kd podcast. I actually came here not knowing the two were related - I found them separately.

(Consensus is Politics) #17

I agree. I don’t drink. At one time I kept some whiskey around for medicinal purposes (really :cowboy_hat_face:) as a muscle relaxant when going to bed. But that was years ago. I have a memory form bed that took care of that issue.

I lived up close and personal with alcoholism. My father and grandfather, and a couple of uncles, and many many friends and coworkers. I knew I wanted non of those problems, so I never really picked up that habit. Can’t stand the taste of beer. Horrid. Some brandies I found tasted ok. But I never developed a taste for it.

I became a father during those years as well. I just couldn’t understand how anyone could get drunk and leave their younguns alone like that. I say alone, because even in the same house, your kids are without any real supervision if you are intoxicated. And personally I consider one drink intoxicating. If it effects judgment in anyway. So basically, every time there was some type of social gathering, I was the sober one. The designated driver. The wingman. The body guard. The baby sitter. I even earned a little respect from the Korean mob when I was stationed at Osan AB, Korea. But that’s a lengthy story… :cowboy_hat_face:

Though I’m sure a fascinating one :star_struck:

(Raj Seth) #19

Magnusdog - that sounds a little judgmental, no? What works for one, may not work for others - and what doesn’t work for one, may work fine for others…

Yes I admit it is a judgemental view of society itself, not of any one person. I It would be interesting to see as many scientific studies about the effect of alcohol on ones body as other things related to diet and health such as artificial sweeteners and grain-fed cow butter.

To argue against myself, I guess it’s generally accepted that alchohol consumption has no bearing on a ketosis based diet specifically so it’s not relevant to this forum; where different foods are?

Again, I don’t care what anyone does - just sharing my personal thoughts listening to the beginning of the podcast. Which may not be relevent at all?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

W. C. Fields, in “My Little Chickadee”: “I always keep a bottle of whiskey handy, in case of snake bite. I also carry a large snake. . . .”

@Geesee People have largely filled you in, but here are a couple of other data that you might have missed: First, macro percentages are always percentages of total calories, not of total weight. Since a gram of fat contains 9 calories and a gram of protein 4, this means that an equal amount of fat and protein is actually about 61% fat and 39% protein, in terms of calories. So it’s easier to get enough fat than you may have been thinking.

But the real point is this: insulin is the fat-storage hormone of the human body, par excellence. To metabolize any excess fat that may be hanging around, and for general all-round metabolic health, the body needs to minimize insulin secretion, and the only way to do that effectively is to eat an absolute minimum of carbohydrate. So staying under the 20 g/day limit that we advise will lower your insulin, put you into nutritional ketosis, and eventually will lead to your becoming fat-adapted.

But where are you going to get all the calories you need once you stop eating carbohydrate? Why, from fat, of course, since fat is the least insulinogenic of the three macronutrients (protein is essential, so you can’t cut it out; just eat a reasonable amount). Fat is not magic, it’s just the safest source of calories. It is also very tasty and will help fill you up. So when you’re hungry, eat something fatty, such as buttered cheese, and try to get a bit more fat at your next meal.

(Raj Seth) #22

I am quoting someone (on this forum), but I forget whom…
Keto diet in one sentence:
Replace all your carbs with fat.
Done!

I tell people that I eat like a diabetic with Celiac Disease who’s deathly afraid of needles. No sugar, starches, or grains. The rest will work itself out.

(Consensus is Politics) #24

Was it he that coined, “…I’d rather have this bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.”

(Consensus is Politics) #25

I’m pretty sure I’ve said that. Seeing as that’s what I did! :cowboy_hat_face:

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #26

Don’t overcomplicate it at first. Take in less than 20 grams of carbs per day. Find enough low or no carb food so that you can do that without going hungry, and worry about getting enough fat later. If you get hungry, eat, but eat only things that will fit into your carb allowance. This WOE isn’t about being hungry or starving yourself into fitness. The only difference is you’ll be eating something like cheese, bacon, or macadamia nuts instead of bread when you’re hungry.

(Raj Seth) #27

Found it
Sorry @Robert_Johnson it was @larry :+1::grinning:

(Consensus is Politics) #28

Ok. Maybe I haven’t said it here, yet :thinking:. But it is how I usually start when someone I meet asks me how to do it. That really is the basics to keto. Replace carbs with fat. It won’t harm you. You will be going in the right direction. You can improve on the rest of it as you learn.

(David Brown) #29

to get my fats i just drink udo’s oil and coconut oil straight up. its not as bad as you think

(Wendy) #31

But one thing to also remember is butter and other healthy fats make the vitamins more available. So I don’t think they are empty at all.