I discovered Keto yogurt and it's cheap

(Tracy) #1

I used to make my own kefir (drinkable yogurt if you’ve never heard of it) before going Keto. I wondered what would happen if I fermented heavy whipping cream. Then it dawned on me, that’s pretty much what sour cream is. So I got some full fat sour cream, added some sugar free vanilla syrup, flax seeds, pecans - tastes exactly like greek yogurt. You’ll be shocked how good it is.

(Shane) #2

I used to buy greek yogurt in 2kg tubs. As I became fat adapted, I needed/wanted/craved something higher in fat and lower in carbs. Now yogurt tastes bland and watery.
And at about 1000kcal a jar, a couple of jars of sour cream makes a quick simple snack. I don’t add anything.

Couple of things.

First thing is a query- Since the bacteria in yoghurt (in my case, unsweetened greek yoghurt) feeds on the lactose sugars and converts it to lactic acid, is the carb amount listed on the yoghurt container accurate? Would it be less, or do they take that into consideration when calculating it?

Secondly, I recently bought some cheesecloth and strained all the whey out of my commercially bought greek yoghurt. Very, very thick and creamy results.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #4

I strain my yoghurt as well - it’s amazing how much whey comes out! I just use a sheet of kitchen roll in a plastic sieve. The end product is amazing!

Never thought of doing that. By kitchen roll you mean like kitchen paper towel?

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #6

Yes! Sorry! :uk:

Tip: make sure it’s plain white, not printed with a pattern. :slightly_smiling_face:

sounds like you made labneh

(Tracy) #8

That’s a great question ChrisW. I was always told that the bacteria in yogurt fed on the sugar and I wondered where it disappeared to. The same with Kombucha. You add half a cup of sugar to your tea and SCOBY and somehow it’s supposed to magically disappear into the SCOBY leaving you with nearly no sugar in your tea. Since I don’t know, I’m going to go by the label and assume they measured the finished product.

I used to strain my kefir several times until I got something that was the consistency of cream cheese. Then I’d flavor it with garlic and herbs. I might look into what I can do with kefir grains that would fit into my Keto lifestyle.

(Roxanne) #9

I culture/ferment heavy cream all the time, making Creme Fraiche. I start with about 100 ml of commercial creme fraiche, and mix it with 1 litre of heavy whipping creme (35% fat). Pour this into 10 or 12 little mason jars, put on the lids, and leave it on the counter until it thickens (can take 12 to 36 hours or more). Then refrigerate (it will thicken even more when chilled). You end up with single serving sized “yogurt” with 35% fat. I then use one of these servings to start my next batch.

There you go, it has a name. I love Lebanese food. Might add some za’atar to it and make a dip

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #11

Oooooh I love this idea, @roxanne! I make my own yoghurt using a set of cute little jars - sounds like the spare ones can be brought into service as a cultured cream factory…! I’m going to give this a go next week!

:+1:

(Roxanne) #12

@ketosnaps, it’s actually even easier to make than yoghurt, you don’t have to maintain a specific temperature or scald the cream first…just mix and wait! It does tend to culture faster in the summer when the house is warmer, but i’ve learned that if it at first it doesn’t seem to thicken, just wait it out.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #13

Ooooh great - thanks for the tips - I’ll report back!

:grin:

It’s nice spread on flat bread with olive oil and za’atar on top.

(Brandy) #15

I usually just count the carbs listed on the back of my Greek yogurt container but really only because maths hurt when all I’m trying to do is eat some yogurt. :wink:

The actual carb count is in fact smaller than those listed. I don’t make my own yogurt (although I might try after being inspired here) but I do make kombucha (with sugar) and kimchi (with a small amount of rice flour). Fermentation is the process of sugar eating. All those healthy gut bacteria come into existence by virtue of converting those sugars. So the longer your fermented foods have to actually ferment, the less sugars will be present in your food item. By the time I’m eating my ferments, they’re virtually carb free. Occasionally I allow my kombucha to ferment for so long that it turns into live culture vinegar. I think I haven’t tried yogurt yet because I’ve never fermented dairy before and I’m a little afraid I’ll grow the wrong kind of bacteria and make my family sick.

(Tracy) #16

Fermenting dairy is actually easier than making Kombucha. You literally just plot your grains (they look like wet squishy cauliflower) into some milk and let it sit on your counter. You strain it the next day. Chances of getting sick are slim. I did it for years and never had problems.

(Cindy) #17

Exactly - only my family calls it “leban.” My grandma used to make it all from scratch, and always had a bag of cheesecloth hanging over the kitchen sink. I learned how to make yogurt almost before I learned to walk! LOL