I can't eay mayonnaise

Since I started eating keto in May, mayo has been my salad topping of choice. One day, taking my first bite I just became nauseous and couldn’t eat any more. Since that time, I can’t eat mayo on a salad without feeling sick. Anyone else run into this?

E: I should have said I can’t eat mayo on ANYTHING without feeling sick. My concern isn’t what to top my salad with, it’s why does mayo suddenly give me a gag reflex?

Yes I am only in the mood for mayo occasionally. Definitely not on salad ever. Good on burgers. I like olive oil and ACV on salad. Never gets old.

(Kerin ) #3

Ham and cheese for a month! Couldn’t even think about it.

(Cynthia Anderson) #4

The ranch dressing I have is only 1g carb per serving

(Randy) #5

Hmmmm…

I can’t “not” eat mayonnaise. :wink:

(KCKO, KCFO) #6

I can’t eat commercial ones, but I can eat my homemade mayo. Same goes for a lot of salad dressings, I just have to make my own. But vinaigrette is my favorite salad dressing, I add the currently growing herbs to it love the stuff.
Dump ranch dressing isn’t a mayo dressing but is very good and you can add some herbs of choice to it.

I’m a big fan of mustard on burgers and other meats as well.

I’ve been using sour cream. Vinegar is repulsive to me. It’s not even that I’m a picky eater, but there’s a few things that if I put 'em in my mouth, it will empty my stomach. Tomatoes, beets, vinegar, catfish…and now apparently mayo. Two months ago I could literally eat it with a spoon, now it insights my gag reflex. I wonder if I got some bad mayo, and now my brain associates all mayo as bad.

(Brian) #8

I don’t ever use mayo on a salad. I use it on tomatoes or on a burger, maybe a few other things, but never on a salad. I do like a good ranch dressing on a salad, though.

I’m pretty flexible, though. If all I had was mayo and I wanted to put it on, say, a piece of fish, I might try cutting up one of my homemade dill pickles very finely along with a bit of the juice and that’ll work into a dab of may very nicely. It’s not exactly tartar sauces but it’ll work where I wouldn’t use mayo by itself. :slight_smile:

(Wendy) #9

Is it comercial mayo? It could be the soybean oil they make it from.
I eat a little mayo but not much.

(Brian) #10

We have to specifically avoid that at our house. My wife is allergic to most soybean products (we still aren’t sure about whether truly organic soybean products are OK) and she’ll have a nasty reaction to them with any appreciable amount. It really does limit the selections available in the grocery stores, there aren’t many. I know, I should be making my own…

(Bruce) #11

I love mayo, but after hearing how evil the oils used in commercial versions are I am looking into making some at home with olive oil and eggs that I can pasteurize myself to increase the shelf life of the mayo. Maybe try this because it could just be some horrible industrial ingredient that you are reacting to or is it the mouth feel?

(Chris) #12

Most if not all mayo is pretty bad for you anyway.

(Zenjen) #13

I usually make yogurt dressing for my salad, but sometimes i just fry the bacon and then i use the grease that comes from it for the topping. it makes salad tasty and is a filling meal with some good fat in it.
You should try it :slight_smile:

(Taryn Hodgskin) #14

Pizza express full fat House Dressing. YUM

(Edith) #15

The foods that you mention happen to be foods on the high in histamine list (except the beets.) Maybe you have a histamine intolerance.