I broke through a body weight set point!

fasting

I went from 215 to 180 with relative ease, eating keto and fasting 2-3 days a week once fat adapted. But as soon as I hit the 170s, my body seemed to panic and did NOT want to go lower. I’m a 5’7" female with plenty left to lose.

For the past few weeks I’ve been keeping to a feasting/fasting cycle and trying not to fall into a routine to keep my body guessing. But I would only lose while fasting, and immediately go right back up once I began eating again. I know some regain while refeeding is normal, but this was more extreme than I’d experienced before. My overall average weight was remaining static. I couldn’t get below 178 except when fasting.

Last week I had the actual flu and I do not recommend it as a way to lose 6 pounds, lol! As expected I regained about 5.5 of it once I recovered. I refed for a few days, and then completed 2 48hr fasts this week. Miracle of miracles, my body is finally letting go of this set point! I have been refeeding for 2 days and I’m losing rather than regaining. I’m down to 171.5 as of this morning!

I hope this helps someone out there! Our bodies are weird but we just have to keep doing right by them and they’ll catch up eventually!

(Daisy) #2

Awesome job!! Keep up the good work!!

(Laurie) #3

Thank you for this. I’m 5’ 6" and seem to be stuck in the 180s. Or maybe I’m just impatient.

Congratulations on the breakthrough!

I totally hear you on being impatient! It was making me a little crazy!

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #5

:champagne::fireworks::tada: congratulations

(Pete A) #6

Your body doesn’t “panic” and operate or do its own thing. You will continue to break through while following the program. I’m 30-40 pounds less than I wanted or thought my body “wanted” to be :grinning: Nice to surprise yourself and get to move the goal post.

CONGRATS!

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #7

I am fairly positive my set weight point is between 62-64kg, as that’s where I am right now, and can’t seem to break through.

I’ve switched to alternate day fasting, with a 48 hour fast thrown in there from Sunday - Tuesday.
I’m really hoping it makes a difference.
I know my body is happy at this point, but I would really prefer a few more kg.

Good effort :slight_smile:

(Carolyn aka stokies) #8

I just went through something similar - I was losing at a decent tempo between 289 and down to 230ish. Did an extended fast, lost 7 pounds. Gained 5 over next two weeks. And just this past day or so, broke back through the freeze of 230. I know it is a previous set point, but it is so damn mentlaly taxing! So much to learn and accept/remember… for me it was remembering that even after a loss, the fat cell hangs out wiating for its refill. Soaks up water aka weight gain, until it finally depletes and wooooosh - it gone foreva lol :joy::rofl:

(Tammy) #9

I’m stuck in the 180’s too. I started 24 hour fasting for 3 days/week. I have lost about 5 pounds in a month. Hope I can keep this up.

(Susan) #10

Congrats @Rachelg

I hope that this downward trend will keep continuing for you.

This is a really helpful reminder we have to be patient and persistent. Thank you!