I ate an evening of sugar

I had a celebration last night and I’d being doing so well I thought, what’s one night of eating sugar as its a party?! So I did… And I felt absolutely knackered all evening, had a bad sleep and now this morning I feel awful. Headache, exhausted, no energy. Feels like a hangover with no alcohol.
Lesson well and truly learned the hard way!!
That was nearly 4 weeks on keto, back on this morning :muscle:

yea, feel for ya cause real fast we are shown how our bodies react and most times it ain’t fun! sorry ya felt so bad. Onward ya go! Like you said, lesson learned.

Heh. I also slipped up last night, but with alcohol rather than sugar. And honestly, I’m glad I did because it really was an eye opener… quite literally. Not only did I not enjoy the wine as much as I remember enjoying it, but I woke up at stupid o’ clock in the morning feeling like a pile of achy, dehydrated crap.

For the 2 or so months I’ve been on keto and also alcohol free, I’ve been sleeping like a baby and waking up refreshed and ready to go.

Today, I feel like death and I’m amazed I went so long with this just being normal o_O

Could well be that I simply won’t drink again because I don’t want to, and that’s kind of mad!

(Pete A) #4

I had a chocolate brownie from Starbucks yesterday, after a crappy (but low carb ish) lunch at Chipolte.

It sucked.

Feeling better now but urgg ill remember this the next time a thought about a ‘cheat day’ comes!! It’s all a learning process though so not going to be too hard on myself!!

Kind of lucky. If I felt bad after eating a bunch of sugar, I probably wouldn’t do it so often :smiley: (But I still wouldn’t swap, I love to enjoy my sugars. It’s 99% of the time is my own fruit :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:)

When I went keto the first time, I already knew one shouldn’t jump into some sugar hell (I can’t consider it heaving, what is so good in sugar, seriously? Some good pork beats it any day).
Later I totally jumped from carnivore to eating up a ton of exotic Australian candies but I don’t do that anymore either (it was okay but could have been better)… I handle carbs way better after a super low-carb period but it doesn’t mean I should overdo it or do it willy-nilly.

Experiences are important. I didn’t have the problem after keto but I remember when I went low-carb (paleo-ish) and some months later I just HAD to try what happens if I eat as carby as I almost never do. I was far from my home so I ate whatever and wasn’t shy.
Yep, I got some effects I heard about from others. Some minor bellyache and stuff? I don’t remember. But it wasn’t feeling as good as I like so it was off-putting - and I missed my normal food anyway.

What I consider important to think about (if someone is like me. well was): just because we break our default woe, it doesn’t mean it doesn’t matter if it’s 20g cherry or 1000g or a whole small cake. Tasting something if we know we probably can stop it’s one thing, going mindlessly wild is another. I can handle the first and even if I don’t get seriously unwell in the second, I will have regrets (and I almost never have that. I have been going off keto all the time since several years and I very, very rarely really regretted it. but sometimes it’s a bad deal. very much sugar is always a bad deal, for everyone, even for most high-carbers most of the time).

I’m on holiday, had a few more carbs than normal but feel good for mainly sticking on plan. Dinner arrived last night with a dollop of mashed potato, after hiking 20K I didn’t have the energy to send it back so shared it with the dogs.
Done 10K on a pebble beach today, calves feel like lead!

(Robin) #8

Those experiences are the absolute best validations about staying keto! Isn’t it amazing that we accepted those feelings as normal for so many years?!

(Robin) #9

It’s been several years since I was able to quit drinking. A few months ago, I was having an especially bad run of sleepless nights. So I took a good swig of my old friend Nytol, not even considering or remembering the small amount of alcohol in it.
Well, I ended up sick and vomiting. My body is NOT gonna put up with that again! Yikes!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

My first drunk was on Nyquil. I was ten. Even at that age, however, I should have known to be careful, because the stuff came with its own shot glass! It was the proof of a good Scotch whisky, but it by no means tasted nearly as good, as I found out later, when I was old enough to drink and started drinking in earnest. Ah, those were the days! (hic!)

My ridiculously high tolerance to alcohol doesn’t seem to have diminished at all; I didn’t feel it hit me any harder than before while I was drinking. But I didn’t really get the enjoyment from it that I recall, and the disturbed sleep and cruddy feeling the next morning were entirely not worth it.

Valuable information, for sure.

(Joey) #12

@Kjan2022 Congrats. That was a fairly inexpensive lab test you conducted on yourself … and you learned more about your body than a typical visit to a doctor’s office could have provided. :+1:

Not quite for me, carbs feel definitely different now than before. I never got sugar poisoned on high-carb, I felt quite healthy and okay. NOW that I showed my body what is the alternative, things changed. It’s a tad better than on high-carb anyway (physically, I mean. mentally it’s more different as long as I stay close to carnivore) but reintroducing carbs isn’t what I had before. For a single day, it’s no big deal, I lose the tiny positive difference (it’s something I dislike though but sometimes it’s worth it, at least “short” term, I have better plans for later) - but then things go south as my body starts to complain more and more seriously, days pass and carbs add up. Even before keto, I could reach carb poisoning without a single high-carb day. It took several days but I managed to do it… My body got more sensitive, I get its nudges super easily now. Lovely thing, it usually doesn’t start with bellyache, I just get a memo about changing my ways.

Interesting, I never heard this from anyone before :slight_smile:
I am unsure about myself as with keto my alcohol consumption seriously diminished (and I probably was at the 1/100th of a normal person to begin with. or less. I won’t start to calculate it now). I can’t get drunk on 20ml vodka, sure but I never could :smiley:
But after several on/off keto years now I feel alcohol stronger than before. Vodka is almost as undrinkable as Stroh80 now… I wonder why. Maybe the almost complete lack of alcohol in my life, does that do it?
(I prefer a very good whisky but that’s expensive and not THAT important so when we started to skip not necessary items, it was among the first ones that went. Maybe I should buy a bottle again, it will last forever… When we still drank more, my SO and me finished a bottle in 2 years (or was that 4?). It probably would go slower now but who knows? My fav is good stuff. I just lack the ability to drink enough to try out different kinds of alcohol, I stick to my fav ones.

I have this with food items, very, very, very many of them since I tried carnivore. But no worry, I STILL have a lot of carbs I fancy now and then… :pensive: I still have a long way to go. Or I should enjoy whatever I can. But no, it’s more chill with less possible items.

Yes I guess I would always have spells of feeling absolutely knackered and then more sugar and a nap would give me a second wind for the evening.
Just reliased that this tired cycle had stopped with keto.
Feeling better today although had bad stomach cramps last night.

yea we change on our alcohol intake and patterns/lifestyle as we used to drink it for sure. just another walk down the path and we change as we wanna on things like booze etc.

it flips on us.
I could drink a ton and be fine, but like ya say, next day a trainwreck way over normal cause the body just doesn’t want the poison when we eat so clean…or I had vacay days or events etc. where I drank 2-3 lighter type drinks and I was hammered and staggering LOL
I think it for me personally was how much food I ate and when the booze hit me ya know. When I drank less, got hammered and ill l like faster I woke up fine…but didn’t enjoy the drink effect ya know.

so who knows who one is on what drinks every time we drink up the alcohol. It can be a diff. experience each time for alot of us.

again, we all find our right for ourselves eventually.

Aye, I can see it being variable and totally understand how keeping everything else so ‘clean’ is gonna make the poison really feel like one ; )

I may try a drink or two at the work Christmas do this year unless I decide at the time that I really don’t want to go there. When I drank the other night, it was after all of my eating for the day, so that will have made it sit ‘better’ I guess.

At least with a free bar I can just test out a glass of bubbly or something and if I’m not liking it… ah well, didn’t pay for it anyway so no waste for me :rofl:

(ALISON PICKERING) #18

We did a a couple of cruises (stayed pretty much LC/ZC with a few glasses of wine or a piece of bread, with predictable enjoyment at the front and regret afterward). But the KILLER was a piece of chocolate layer cake (after a steak meal) - I felt SO AWFUL in the hours after (and continuing in the morning). I think it’s proof of the enormous burden that high-carb puts on the body. We don’t realize how good it feels to be free of it - until we re-partake of the carb load, and the difference is SHOCKING in terms of the discomfort and physical toll.

(Pete A) #19

A lot of sugar does that to me too.

(Kevin Ruther) #20

Headache, bad mood and leg cramps…every… single… time. I always because I jump off the speeding keto-train instead of waiting until for the station to walk off. Although, I am getting better and tucking and rolling though…