I ate an evening of sugar

(Wendy) #21

Funny it’s never as good as we would thought it would be. And the after affects never worth it! From my experience.

Sometimes it’s not as good, sometimes it is. Timtams are still awesome for my tastebuds though inedibly sweet alone (but I can handle that problem)… Most of my fruits are super tasty too, the best ones are so good that nothing is better. It takes A LOT to put something on the same level as some nice pork roast but some fruits pull it off sometimes. Considering their sugar content (I don’t like sugar), it’s spectacular - but they have the novelty while I eat pork all the time.

I never regretted my wild carby off days on my original low-carb and keto, carnivore brought the changes where I just tasted some nostalgic carbs and it was meh. It was very strange first.
(I almost never had significant negative after effects, of course it matters a lot… I was lucky and it’s cool but it definitely didn’t make me motivated not to eat a bunch of sugar if I fancied it or there was a good opportunity on some festival… I had to train myself slowly, my wild days were very wrong even if they were very occasional.)

But sometimes I do feel the super deliciousness - I just don’t really enjoy it as I don’t want it. That’s strange too.

Eating very low-carb changes us and some people change more and quicker than others. It probably matter a lot that we keep our sweets and some plant carbs or not… I did keto rich in sweets, no wonder I changed little. I will never know if vegetables alone could keep me from changing for the better or if meat was important (surely it was) but carnivore really did the trick that my vegetarian carby keto couldn’t.

(Pete A) #23

I’ve been known to eat 50 Christmas cookies or bags of Lindt’s (in my past life) and its a bad, pathetic scene!

And will do something like that again!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

I found that, after a couple of years on keto, my taste changed to the point where the sweets I used to crave are simply too sweet to taste good. And even if I choke something down, I longer binge on it.

Yeast bread, on the other hand, is my major downfall, these days. There’s a local pizzeria that includes a small loaf or two of fresh-baked bread with every order. That, I can still binge on.

(Can anyone say, “carb addict”?)

My family only needed some months without sugar and we never will like traditionally sweet things again :wink: It was useful when I made desserts for everyone.
(Though if something is tasty, it’s tasty even inedibly sweet and there are methods to eat them. I usually use black coffee for most candy. I use tiny amounts for fruits, I don’t need much anyway. Sigh. Things go slow.)

My yeast bread is “almost keto” (I had a keto version but it wasn’t good enough) but I can go months without it, no problem. I used to have years without bread but I didn’t bake wheat bread at least once per week back then so it was easy. And I don’t really like the wheat bread I bake as it’s eggless, very inferior but it’s still tempting sometimes… So my low-carb bread may come handy. I have a few slices in my freezer even now. Normally I prefer my carnivore bread with its superior taste (it’s 99-100% eggs, after all, hard to make it better) but there are times when a more traditional texture is important.
But I don’t binge on bread anymore, it’s something.

My real potential problem is wafers and crunchy biscuits. I can’t make them. I do have carnivore biscuit recipes but they are not perfectly crunchy. (I can’t make biscuits even from flour, somehow my things become soft. Maybe due to my instinct to use eggs for the main ingredient but of course :smiley: I am an egg maniac. And do my best to minimize/avoid flour. But I love crunch too. My cheese wisps are crunchy but they aren’t like biscuits…)

Why do I write about more or less carby things here and now…?

(Wendy) #26

:grimacing:

(Shannon) #27

I’m with you Paul on the sweets, they now taste too sweet for me. I’ve had a couple of breakdowns while seeing family since I started keto, and I had a few bites of some desserts. They were fine, but it wasn’t anything I really missed and I had no trouble getting back on course the next day. Even red wine tastes overly sweet to me now.

Bu if I lived in France, boy would I be in trouble. I have no control when it comes to croissants, I could probably eat boxes of them in one sitting. Luckily where I live, they don’t make croissants like the French do. Anytime someone tells me of some great new French bakery in town, I put my hands over my ears and chant “lalalalala”. At least in my head I do that.

We all have our vices, mine is chocolate. I could eat a giant 500g bar of chocolate in the morning and then meet friends for coffee and cake later on!! There was no limit to my sugar intake.
I would eat chocolate instead of actual food, my poor body!!

(Rebecca ) #29

Me, too…

(Rebecca ) #30

Aw, yes…chocolate…definitely my drug of choice. I can still remember actually saying "I NEED chocolate " when in the midst of a stressful situation…just like I remember my Father saying “I NEED a drink”. Thankfully, my addiction is finally broken!!

I ate so much chocolate (my own) on my original keto… And then carnivore just took away any desire for it. It kind of came back but it’s just a wee bit fun and extra fat on some of my off days, nothing serious.
Carnivore was a miracle to me, it solved so much eating problems of mine. (It did NOTHING to my coffee addiction, that is a long, tough war…)

My chocolate isn’t like normal chocolate though. And I can’t make milk chocolate anyway. I still have some nostalgic feelings for real chocolate but it doesn’t trigger anything, I just remember and know that I still prefer my own most of the time… I dislike sugar and doesn’t want very sweet chocolate anyway. 4% sugar level sweetener is more than enough (I am fine with zero but it’s a tad higher ideally… well it depends on my mood) and many chocolate has it over 50% :scream:
Even my high-carber SO with a HUGE sweet tooth and (to me) high sugar (fruit) consumption eats chocolate with 8% xylitol (he hates and avoid added sugar too), not more. Normal people are weird. And I ate like that in the past… Wow.

I shouldn’t come into this topic, it triggers things in me. I have this thinking and writing about all kinds of food, it’s still part of my life even if most of the items aren’t (or just super rarely. I can’t say I never eat normal chocolate anymore, it’s just super rare. sweets are the easiest to make on keto anyway, not like that isn’t going off to me as my default woe is carnivore-ish, zero sweetener and I only can use lactose as sugar. good thing I don’t think desserts should be sweet).

tuck roll and bob and weave but if one doesn’t learn and accept real truths on their changes and what backsliding does to them one can go forward. Learn as we go, and if one goes full on with understanding who we wanna be and how we wanna feel in our health…we all do this. bob weave, tuck and roll :wink: but getting smarter thru each episode is key to growth. So get your post! been there, I understand it all in but time will be diff. for all when we get that click that we had enough and we are SO done ya know and over it that we ‘push super forward’ against our past. tough row to sow for many, I was one, I get this.

key being, who are you now? still want it? still gonna do that again that you put yourself into pathetic scene mode?

what I am sayin’ is we gotta change mindset and health factors but darn IF WE CAN GET away with that ‘one day’ of eating it ALL and get back on plan??? LOL…feel ya on it. I isn’t easy to manuever thru our addictions ever.

me too. I hate all bread ever but that ‘one taste’ and I so get this which is why I never partake in any of it cause if I GET that hit, and ALL the years I am ‘in this lifestyle change’ I could seriously backslide to the ‘hated bad healthy and beginning of this journey’ I came.

this is a massive trigger for me and I won’t cracker bite or bread bite ever. I ‘take my few bites’ on stuff ‘I kinda enjoyed back in the day’ but all breads are off the table cause I KNOW me and it sounds like you know you too :100:

we all have a massive trigger taste or body draw or ?? call it what ya will but I can eat a 90% choc. square and be like, huh, cool, kinda yum, don’t need it, you give me a REAL NY bagel with that yeast in it and that localized taste again ever and I am going backward in a flash for who knows how long. ugh

binge. such as nasty word but so darn one bite from each of us on what food that is :sunny:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #35

What made me overeat chocolate was not the cacao itself, but the sugar in the chocolate bar. Even a 90% chocolate bar has enough sugar to make me overeat it.

These days, I actually prefer the taste of unsweetened chocolate, and I find that a couple of squares are more than enough to satisfy.

(Robin) #36

Mine was an entire family size bag of Lays Original Potato Chips. Salty, greasy goodness.

a bag…how many went down ya in truth :100:

what I put down me was wild in when I look back and the look back is just :sleepy::skull_and_crossbones: but damn I loved eating it :ghost:

But potato chips bags can’t be much even if big… And potato is extremely delicious especially when crispy. Nothing is similar to that taste. It’s another thing that about 10 years on low-carb and close to carni times finally lowered my interest in it (and it’s too much trouble to make chips, I rather make cheese whisps and enjoy the lack of carbs). It’s wonderful but I don’t need to eat everything tasty, it doesn’t make it a good deal. I can live without it just fine.

Oh in the past an open bag/package was a one sitting thing. Or a tray of baked sweets. I didn’t have an off switch with things like that (I never made those super calorie dense big ones, even I needed to stop somewhere with that). If I made 16 cute little salty fatbombs (peanut, that was serious as it’s one of the most delicious things ever), I knew I will eat 16 fatbombs in the next hours.
I always made as much treats/sweets as I didn’t mind to eat (well, half if my SO helped). Leaving any? Wasn’t my thing.

It’s probably not like that anymore but I don’t make such things so I don’t know. But I got somehow more controlled. Just a little bit. I still eat whatever but my desires and portions changed. Except for my staples, I still can’t resist some nice meat and I can eat so much of it even if it’s a bad idea… I will need to handle it somehow. I can’t overeat eggs or meat in one sitting, usually not in 2 either (as long as I keep my plant carbs close to 0) but if I have a big enough eating window, I can go overboard.

(Jane) #39

Lay’s Family Size package is 150 g carbs if you ate the whole thing and 1600 calories.

(Pete A) #40

I may at some point in the future but this gorge described was like 2 years ago. And I still remember haha

I don’t want to, nor want/need more carbs. I don’t feel deprived